Sign in to follow this  
titanthakur

Jeff Fisher for Defensive Coordinator

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Thank you

He might wouldve been good 20 years ago. Not today. Fisher coaching style, scheme and overall philosophy is pretty outdated and it was even 15 years ago.

explain this. Scheme and philosophy for defenses have been the same with minor changes dating back over 50 years.

7 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

explain this. Scheme and philosophy for defenses have been the same with minor changes dating back over 50 years.

I guess theres no need for defensive coordinators then if its all the same. What seperates the best from the rest is having the players look for keys, alignments, make sure the given responsibilties are actually for thr plays they are expecting on key downs vs certain personnel. Why is Belicheck,  Parcells, Pees and Lebeau so good but some coordinators so bad if its all the same stuff as you say?

Edited by headhunter

36 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I guess theres no need for defensive coordinators then if its all the same. What seperates the best from the rest is having the players look for keys, alignments, make sure the given responsibilties are actually for thr plays they are expecting on key downs vs certain personnel. Why is Belicheck,  Parcells, Pees and Lebeau so good but some coordinators so bad if its all the same stuff as you say?

yep you’re right. 

46 minutes ago, titanthakur said:

Actually it's not.  DB/Nickel play the majority of the snaps of defense now.  That's not really a "minor" change.

Is Cory Undlin a great X and O guy? Who? Matt Patricia just hired him to be the DC of the Lions. Never worked as a DC before. So is he?

If I was going to seriously consider hiring Fisher as my DC I would consider hiring a young guy as assistant DC whose primary purpose would be QB contain. I would have a guy on staff who would exclusively focus on QB contain, options and run pass option stuff. In the past you just had the inside linebacker as a spy but that is not enough for a guy like Watson and we play him twice a year. 

For the Titans to compete for the super bowl in the next 10 years we have to be able to contain Watson, Mahomes, Jackson.  

Here are some interesting stats to consider. 

Of the top 10 teams in pass attempts only 2 made the playoffs. The Pats and the Eagles. 

Of the top 10 teams in rush attempts 8 teams made the playoffs. 

In 1994 the median team in pass attempts threw the ball 539 times. In 2019 the median team in pass attempts threw the ball 573 times. 

In 1994 the median team in rush attempts ran the ball 433 times. In 2019 the median team in rush attempts ran the ball 407 times. 

That's just 2.1 more passes per game and 1.6 fewer runs per game. Not that different folks. 

The league is trending back to running the ball more.