Ryan Tannehill - AFCCG vs. Chiefs

nine

He played a solid game, but he left some plays on the field for sure. 

One play in particular was the dropped INT to Breeland when he was trying to get the ball to Davis. Looking at that tape he should’ve flinged that ball Downfield to AJ Brown for a potential TD and just let Brown make a 50/50 play. 

Also, anyone notice on the very first catch by Brown... if he just kept running down the sideline he likely takes it to the house instead of cutting it inside? Ugh. 

I love Brown though so it’s ok. They will look back on this and build from it. Just watching KC defense it’s clear that they knew it was all Henry and our OL wouldn’t be able to block their pass rushers without help from the RB blocking which is why I just can’t justify paying Henry... I much rather have Kareem Hunt at 5-7 a year as a 3 down back than Henry at 15

im totally fine however with tagging Henry for a year and pounding it out one more time and pairing him with a rookie like Swift

3 minutes ago, kyle021 said:

One play in particular was the dropped INT to Breeland when he was trying to get the ball to Davis. Looking at that tape he should’ve flinged that ball Downfield to AJ Brown for a potential TD and just let Brown make a 50/50 play. 

Also, anyone notice on the very first catch by Brown... if he just kept running down the sideline he likely takes it to the house instead of cutting it inside? Ugh. 

I love Brown though so it’s ok. They will look back on this and build from it. Just watching KC defense it’s clear that they knew it was all Henry and our OL wouldn’t be able to block their pass rushers without help from the RB blocking which is why I just can’t justify paying Henry... I much rather have Kareem Hunt at 5-7 a year as a 3 down back than Henry at 15

im totally fine however with tagging Henry for a year and pounding it out one more time and pairing him with a rookie like Swift

Are you excited your 49ers made it to the Super Bowl?

I will preface this with that I'm a huge fan of Mike Vrabel, but after watching this game I really wish we ran a more modern NFL offense.  Obviously, the personnel is different but I loved the elements of Andy Reids offense. I think we became to run/play action heavy that it's making our regular passing attack inefficient.

4 hours ago, kyle021 said:

Lol. Honey Badger is clearly shadowing brown on top. Why would he ever throw that ball?

Tannehill struggled on any plays that weren't schemed open in this game. He didn't go through his reads well at all.  The offensive line were poor too, though. Some of the play calling left a bit to be desired and the Chiefs safety's ignored the run sometimes. Tanny threw well on the move but was pretty jittery in the pocket.

51 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

It flat out wasn't his best performance and he left some plays on the table. Still not really the reason we lost but it confirms my feelings of being underwhelmed by his play after the game. 

What plays did he leave on the field? Name them.

Tannehill played pretty well. They caught him a couple times early where they showed blitz and he kept guys in to block but then they dropped into coverage. Then he started to push it later in the game and they caught him the other way... he sent guys out on routes and KC got quick pressure w/ a blitz b/c of it.

There were a few plays where I think he misread the coverage too. There's a short pass to Davis in the flat where Davis gets creamed. I think he read man coverage and thought he might have a LB or even a safety on Davis but it turned out to be zone. A couple other things that I think were probably misreads. There's a play in the... 3rd Q, I think, where he's got Davis across the middle. I think he read man blitz and thought he'd have Davis open but a LB drops into a zone right where Davis was going and he didn't have time to hit him after the zone b/c of pressure. Couple other plays like that where there was quick pressure b/c I think he misread it.

All in all, not bad but not great. As before I'd be fine w/ extending him but I'd also be fine if they went for Brady but only if they've already got a wink/nod agreement w/ him. I don't want to let Tannehill go just to try for Brady. And I definitely do not want to let Tannehill go and draft another QB.

4 hours ago, Guts said:

I will preface this with that I'm a huge fan of Mike Vrabel, but after watching this game I really wish we ran a more modern NFL offense.  Obviously, the personnel is different but I loved the elements of Andy Reids offense. I think we became to run/play action heavy that it's making our regular passing attack inefficient.

The defense was also all over the screen plays and short passes that we were attempting.  If an offense could exist solely on PA passing, every team would do it.  There has to be more to the playbook, and there isn't.

Watching this again.  I saw a couple of plays where he had a missed throw (Firkser overthrow, Brown short hop) or the wrong read - the Davis short pass near the red zone where Matthieu clocked him.  It looked like the other WR's on that side were open...Note, however, that they scored a TD on the drive with the Firkser overthrow and Davis short pass.

In obvious passing situations, the OL was getting owned by KC whether it be extra rushers or simply the front 4.  Davis and Conklin in particular.

One thing watching this - on the drive in the 4th down 11, I actually think they abandoned their identity too early with 14 minutes left.  KC was playing pass and a carry or two there to Henry (the 2nd and 12 play looked ripe for a Henry run and who knows what a chunk run does there).

23 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

the Davis short pass near the red zone where Matthieu clocked him.  It looked like the other WR's on that side were open.

This is the play I was talking about. I'm pretty sure he read man coverage and thought he either had a LB on Davis or a safety. Neither of which would've been able to get down to Davis fast enough on that route... but it ended up being zone and he got crushed. It happens though.

In obvious passing situations, the OL was getting owned by KC whether it be extra rushers or simply the front 4.  Davis and Conklin in particular.

I think this has a lot to do w/ misreading blitzes. I think there was a sack in the... 3Q, where the blocking got overwhelmed on the right side. This might've also been the play where he thought he had Davis in man across the middle but the LB dropped. I'm thinking he thought the wrong guy was coming and flipped it on him and dropped the other guy into Davis's route. That pressure could've been a combination of issues. He thought the other LB was coming so he sent Davis across the middle and shifted the blocking to the left... then that guy dropped into Davis's route (cutting off the quick pass) and the other guy came which overwhelmed the blocking on the right. But that's just a guess.

Overall, I'd say he played pretty well though... just not enough against Mahomes.

Edited by reo