PFF Predicting the Future for Henry and Tannehill

BudsOilers

Just now, Stan said:

Exactly he took to many shots down the field instead of taking what was given 

That's more a function of how the offense is designed. KC runs a ton of blitz schemes designed to screw up your blocking. The safe way to defend that is to just audible to max protect and send out 2 guys on passing routes... that means there aren't a lot of options outside of the guys going deep. 

Then when we didn't keep guys in to block, we gave up sacks.

I'd put that more on KC playing well than us playing poorly.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was without Henry one game and he had a 133 QB rating .  Not exactly struggling.  

Henry and Tannehill will be retained.    The only question is by what means and how many Brinks trucks we'll need to get the job done. 

Just now, reo said:

Except in crunch time.. when it mattered when the really good QBs step up.... he didn't. That goes for both vs KC and vs NO.

Is that a symptom of a bigger issue? Maybe.

That being said, I'd still be good to resign Tannehill if that's what they decide to do.

Similar to how Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, and Brady stepped up and carried their teams to a win?  Mahomes may be the ONLY QB in the league right now that could overcome that score, and he's a generational talent, even then, he's not doing it on his own.

2 minutes ago, reo said:

I've got very little interest in drafting a WR early. I think this team has much more pressing needs.

It's possible though.

Depends who is there.  If I were to pick right now, it would probably be a RT, given what is likely to be around at #29.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Fair enough.  I think his teams play a lot of close games so his late game failures are over-exaggerated.  Sometimes he comes through late and sometimes he doesn't.  And if you want to rip him for never getting to the Super Bowl and having constantly under-achieving teams, I think that's fair.  But it's not all on him.  He's never had a real good head coach in his time with the Chargers other than his first year when he in my mind would've won the Super Bowl if that idiot didn't fumble after the Brady INT.

In some ways they remind me of the Houston Oilers in the late 80s/early 90s.  Always a ton of talent but lousy coaching.  And it's hard to overcome that.

But more importantly, he's clearly on the downside.  Tannehill is clearly better right now.  I think 2020 RT is better than 2020 TB too - especially for how the Titans are constructed.

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

But more importantly, he's clearly on the downside.  Tannehill is clearly better right now.  I think 2020 RT is better than 2020 TB too - especially for how the Titans are constructed.

It's impossible to know to be honest.  I still maintain that if Brady goes elsewhere his motivation will be through the roof and you'll get one real good season out of him.  At least.

And it's also possible that what we just saw is the best we'll ever see from Tannehill.

Like I've said, it's a risk both ways.  And there's definitely potential for reward both ways.

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The offense had one possession - that was botched by 2nd and 1 and 3rd and inches runs that were stuffed.  How the fuck is that on Tannehill?

BTW, the second KC possession started mid 3rd quarter and rolled into the 4th before they scored to make it 28-17.....

There were plays to be had that Tannehill missed vs KC. We'll leave it at that. I have no interest in getting into a tit for tat on every single play/possession.

But there's a reason why I'd be fine if they extended Tannehill.

I can also see why they'd move on if they had a wink/nod agreement w/ Brady.

I'd be on board w/ either.

I'm not on board w/ dumping Tannehill w/o a plan though.

7 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Depends who is there.  If I were to pick right now, it would probably be a RT, given what is likely to be around at #29.

I really don't want to have to pick RT.

I'd rather keep Conklin and use that 1st rounder to improve the roster at another position.. but we'll see.

8 minutes ago, PhinFan1968 said:

Similar to how Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, and Brady stepped up and carried their teams to a win?  Mahomes may be the ONLY QB in the league right now that could overcome that score, and he's a generational talent, even then, he's not doing it on his own.

Again, i'm not getting into this tit for tat argument where it becomes the perception that I'm anti-Tannehill. 

I'd be on board w/ either. I'm not on board w/ moving on from Tannehill for a rookie or some unknown.

But I'm also not going to pretend Tannehill is Brees, Rodgers, Wilson or Brady. If we had one of those guys, we beat KC.

Just now, scine09 said:

To be honest if they literally made no changes at all on offense and just brought back who they have now they'd be good.  What they need is pass rush, pass rush and more pass rush.  And after that they need a pass rush.  Followed by a pass rush.

Pass rush and corner, maybe a potentially dynamic TE.

Just now, reo said:

Pass rush and corner, maybe a potentially dynamic TE.

I think at TE they're actually fine.  I understand why you'd want another TE but I think they think Smith is dynamic.  And he showed at times he can be.  I think the question is do they bring Walker back and move on from Pruitt, making Smith more of a hybrid (blocking/receiving TE).

I guess they could use another corner but remember Butler missed a ton of time and Jackson improved significantly from last year.  If they can just keep the status quo there I think they'd be fine.

This franchise has lacked the ability to consistently rush the QB since they had Kearse/Carter.  It needs to change.  Patrick Mahomes can't have time to take a nap.  He's good enough as it is.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

I think at TE they're actually fine.  I understand why you'd want another TE but I think they think Smith is dynamic.  And he showed at times he can be.  I think the question is do they bring Walker back and move on from Pruitt, making Smith more of a hybrid (blocking/receiving TE).

I guess they could use another corner but remember Butler missed a ton of time and Jackson improved significantly from last year.  If they can just keep the status quo there I think they'd be fine.

This franchise has lacked the ability to consistently rush the QB since they had Kearse/Carter.  It needs to change.  Patrick Mahomes can't have time to take a nap.  He's good enough as it is.

I'm fine w/ who we have at TE.

What I'm saying is that late 1st round is where you can get some pretty dynamic TEs. I could see them grabbing a guy that falls b/c other positions have a higher value. Think Todd Heap.

If QB, DT/DE, CB, pass rushers and OL go early... very good TEs can fall. And if that happens, with our offense, I could see them grabbing a TE that just has great value then be set at the position for years.

5 minutes ago, reo said:

There were plays to be had that Tannehill missed vs KC. We'll leave it at that. I have no interest in getting into a tit for tat on every single play/possession.

But there's a reason why I'd be fine if they extended Tannehill.

I can also see why they'd move on if they had a wink/nod agreement w/ Brady.

I'd be on board w/ either.

I'm not on board w/ dumping Tannehill w/o a plan though.

That's fine but in the two possessions where the offense bogged down and they relinquished control of the game, Tannehill was not to blame. 

The last drive of the 2nd half was run for 1, run for no gain, and then it was 3rd and 9.  KC blitzes and the screen was an OK call but they did a good job of holding it to 6.  Punt.

First and only drive of the 3rd quarter - He had the one short hopped pass on 2nd and 7 to Brown on the 3rd quarter drive before hitting Humphries on the very next play for a first down on 3rd down.  Then came the sequence of 12 men on the field, run for 4, run for no gain, run for no gain (negated for holding), 3rd and 11 scramble under major durress.

Tannehill missed some passes - the ones I recall of note were in the first half on drives that ended in touchdowns - the pass to Davis that Breeland trapped, the Firsker over throw and the one to Brown near the end zone. 

The offense had to be perfect based on how the defense fared.  They were not but the Titans or most teams are not winning when you give up 5 TD's in 7 possessions.  Hold them to a FG at the end of the half and don't give them an explosive long TD - maybe it's a different game...

If we knew we'd get 2019 Tannehill every year, its obviously a no brainer you sign him. The worry is if he regresses to the level of play we saw from 2012-2018. He was average for that time. I went back and watched some Tanny in 2018 and he was terrible. Now, it could be that he just needed that change of scenery and an offense that doesn't ask much of him, but that is what JRob will have to determine.