This Offseason is crucial for JRob

BudsOilers

7 hours ago, Number9 said:

Davis started game five.  RT on this team is important spot.  Those two starting now were high first round picks.  The team has had its difficulties with the line, so people say they aren't coached up well enough.  Will some team give Conklin RT money?  Some people say they think he can play on the left side, definitely mo money.  

What do you think about moving up by giving away a 4th and maybe a 6th to get a Tackle in round one if Conklin walks?

The 4th as well as the 7th have already been traded.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair or not, JRob's rebuilding project has been in the easy button phase.  He inherited a pretty awful roster aside from a handful of guys, had tons of cap space and draft picks, and literally was in

David Long was drafted in April 2019.  Taylor was traded at the end of training camp (2019).

of course it’s full of bad ideas and unrealistic scenarios

JRob has already shown that he can build a playoff team and a legitimate championship contender.   

Now he he has to show the ability to maintain it year after year....which is a whole separate and possibly even greater challenge.

Four years ago, he started a rebuild with tons of draft capital and cap space, which allowed him to add talent and improve the roster very quickly.  

This offseason will test JRob’s  salary cap acumen with several big contracts looming ....and with 28-29 teams drafting ahead of him, finding impact players in the draft becomes an even greater challenge.  

History has shown the difficulty of maintaining consistently high level of success over a long period.  The NFL playoff brackets change every year  because so few teams are able to sustain success for more than  year or two at a time.    

JRob accomplished much in his first four years....but the “good to great” mantra isnt just for the players and coaching staff;   JRob has to make that same jump.   

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

What do you think about moving up by giving away a 4th and maybe a 6th to get a Tackle in round one if Conklin walks?

I'm hesitant about that because we have so many deficits on the roster still. It would really depend on if we can fill those holes in FA, then you consider it. However, my disposition in general is full volume drafting because it is such a crap-shoot. More darts mean more "bullseyes."

Early Wish List:

Brian Poole - Affordable experienced slot corner to replace Logan Ryan if we lose him to free agency.  He put together a nice season for the Jets this past year.

Jarran Reed- Enjoyed a breakout season in 2018 with 10.5 sacks, the potential is there.  Down year in 2019, could come at an affordable price with high upside as another interior pass rusher.  

Matthew Judon - Would be the highest priced free agent for us.  Has been consistent the past three years, and would be familiar with the defense we run.  Would give an experienced full-time vet opposite Landry.

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

Davis started game five.  RT on this team is important spot.  Those two starting now were high first round picks.  The team has had its difficulties with the line, so people say they aren't coached up well enough.  Will some team give Conklin RT money?  Some people say they think he can play on the left side, definitely mo money.  

No no no. Trading up for a 1st round right tackle is beyond stupid as it's not an impact position. The end of the 1st round is a prime spot for a starting caliber RT as is the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

No no no. Trading up for a 1st round right tackle is beyond stupid as it's not an impact position. The end of the 1st round is a prime spot for a starting caliber RT as is the 2nd round.

Agreed.  This draft is heavy at OT, could easily get a starting caliber RT without trading up.

8 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Didn’t we pick up a 7th in the Taywan Taylor trade?

Titans traded away their original 7th for Reggie Gilbert.  Titans got an undisclosed 2020 pick for T. Taylor from the Browns.  So perhaps you are right....to be determined what exactly we got.

11 minutes ago, Righteous said:

David Long was drafted in April 2019.  Taylor was traded at the end of training camp (2019).

My bad. I skipped the TT reference and thought the RT trade was being referenced. I sure hope we picked up SOMETHING in the TT trade because he was a costly acquisition.

8 minutes ago, Guts said:

Early Wish List:

Brian Poole - Affordable experienced slot corner to replace Logan Ryan if we lose him to free agency.  He put together a nice season for the Jets this past year.

Jarran Reed- Enjoyed a breakout season in 2018 with 10.5 sacks, the potential is there.  Down year in 2019, could come at an affordable price with high upside as another interior pass rusher.  

Matthew Judon - Would be the highest priced free agent for us.  Has been consistent the past three years, and would be familiar with the defense we run.  Would give an experienced full-time vet opposite Landry.

I would take a swing at Chris Jones first (if he is available).  He is so disruptive up front and would be a perfect fit beside Simmons and Casey.  And then try for Reed or Arik Armstead, if that fails.  We definitely need to get more pressure from another DE, besides Casey.  Add Judon, Dupree or Fowler to play opposite Landry.  And then CB’s in FA and the draft.  I feel like GB when they drafted CB’s in the first 3 rounds to match up with Minnesota (Moss, Carter, Reed).  We need cover corners for Hopkins, Stills and Fuller and Hill, Watkins and Hardmen.  At least 2 additional fast cover CB’s are a must.

3 minutes ago, Righteous said:

I would take a swing at Chris Jones first (if he is available).  He is so disruptive up front and would be a perfect fit beside Simmons and Casey.  And then try for Reed or Arik Armstead, if that fails.  We definitely need to get more pressure from another DE, besides Casey.  Add Judon, Dupree or Fowler to play opposite Landry.  And then CB’s in FA and the draft.  I feel like GB when they drafted CB’s in the first 3 rounds to match up with Minnesota (Moss, Carter, Reed).  We need cover corners for Hopkins, Stills and Fuller and Hill, Watkins and Hardmen.  At least 2 additional fast cover CB’s are a must.

Would love to have Chris Jones or Arik Armstead, but figured they would be out of reach for us.  We definitely need to find a true lockdown corner, which I like for our first pick in the draft.

Edited by Guts