Brady to Titans Rumors

Mercalius

Just to throw more speculation out there.  

Are we discounting that we never hired a true defensive coordinator?  Haslett has experience to ease some of this, but it’s widely assumed Vrabel will be taking on a bigger role on the defensive side of the ball.  What about the offense?   There’s only so many hours in a day and whatever role Vrabel did play on offense will almost assuredly be lessened with the change ups to the coaching staff.  Pees, Bowen, Coombs - that’s a significant amount of loss on one side of the ball.  

We saw Smith blossom in the second half of the season (with competent QB play) but it still feels like putting even more on the plate of a second year OC who seemed to struggle through the first six weeks (even though we know why) could be a risky endeavor.   Henry almost has to come back down to earth a bit, and it’s highly unlikely Tannehill replicates the statistically absurd season he had last year.  Potentially making it even harder on Smith, with likely more responsibility but realistically less production.   Tannehill is a veteran, and the argument that him getting a full offseason as the unquestioned starter could improve the overall efficiency of the offense, but I’m not going to lie with all the other smoke going on about this it almost feels like Vrabel becoming the de facto DC means they’re expecting *something* to ensure consistency and leadership on the offensive side of the ball.  And going down the rabbit hole a bit, if they’re planning on pursuing Brady, it would make the personnel decisions make more sense.  He’s as close to an OC as you’d get and I have no doubt Vrabel would be fully comfortable with Brady/Smith figuring out gameplans for the offense while he spent more time on the defense.  

It may be silly, but I think many are underestimating what it meant that Vrabel played with Brady.  When he was Superman.  They won 3 rings together.   To those of us who saw it from a distance, it’s easy to get past that given the time lapse.   However there’s a decent chance Vrabel thinks his buddy still has it. 

Edited by Mercalius

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they let Tannehill go and sign washed up Brady we're total retards    

I’m so tired of these Monday Morning QB takes after every playoff game. Whoever wins, we should’ve gotten them, or they’re way better, or they don’t choke like our guy.    What happened to the

They may call it free agency season but let’s be honest on this board it’s @AussieTitanFan08 season.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

It may be silly, but I think many are underestimating what it meant that Vrabel played with Brady.  When he was Superman.  They won 3 rings together.   To those of us who saw it from a distance, it’s easy to get past that given the time lapse.   However there’s a decent chance Vrabel thinks his buddy still has it. 

And that’s sort of a problem here. He’s looking at it through the lens of 2001-2003 Brady and not what he currently is now.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll root for Brady if he signs here.  But some of this is just really short sighted thinking.

4 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Got to admit I'd be kinda excited to see TB12 in a Titans uniform. Yeah probably not the best football decision, but damn it'd be exciting for the board meltdown if nothing else.

The guys on 104.5 today weren’t wrong.  90% of the naysayers would be on board after the first press conference and the expectations would be Super Bowl or bust.  This board overdoes it on the negativity.  Could signing him be a mistake instead of keeping Tannehill?  Yep, absolutely.  Could Brady be the final piece to getting this team to the trophy?  Yep, absolutely.  Anything from those two extremes is possible and neither side is definitive. 

4 minutes ago, rns90 said:

And that’s sort of a problem here. He’s looking at it through the lens of 2001-2003 Brady and not what he currently is now.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ll root for Brady if he signs here.  But some of this is just really short sighted thinking.

He beat the same team that beat us in the same game in their house just a season ago.  At his age, the “a year ago” part matters.  But the Titans from the top to bottom are wondering how to get home playoff games and beat Mahomes.  They very possibly see Brady as having a better shot at doing both than Tannehill.  

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Do you go “all in” if you sign Brady?  This means spending big money on an edge rusher and prioritizing a pass catching RB.

I think you have to.  The teams window is the next 2-3 years.  After that - we will have age or money questions with half of the defense and in no way will Henry be what he is now.  You push the chips in now, basically regardless.  Whether that’s RT or Brady

Edited by Mercalius

I just seriously hope this doesn’t turn into Peyton Manning chase part two where it costs us a shot at a pass rusher.

The only thing is as long as JR is doing the drafting, we will be fine since he seems to find solid starters in Round 3 and later (Patriots drafting has been very suspect lately).

Just now, rns90 said:

I just seriously hope this doesn’t turn into Peyton Manning chase part two where it costs us a shot at a pass rusher.

The only thing is as long as JR is doing the drafting, we will be fine since he seems to find solid starters in Round 3 and later (Patriots drafting has been very suspect lately).

I do think if Brady’s coming here it’s already done, just pending making it legally official.  For all the gamesmanship between them on the field, I don’t think he’d do Vrabel like that.  There’s almost a 100% chance the FO already knows who the QB is next season.  We just have to sweat it out.  

11 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

The guys on 104.5 today weren’t wrong.  90% of the naysayers would be on board after the first press conference and the expectations would be Super Bowl or bust.  This board overdoes it on the negativity.  Could signing him be a mistake instead of keeping Tannehill?  Yep, absolutely.  Could Brady be the final piece to getting this team to the trophy?  Yep, absolutely.  Anything from those two extremes is possible and neither side is definitive. 

I've said it a few times before. I'll say it again. JR hasn't had a chance to get HIS guy at QB. Obviously, Brady would be a short-term thing, but I can see pairing Brady with drafting a developmental QB. I don't think Brady would be as pissed about potentially spending a high pick at QB because he'll see the talent that's already in place.

JR knows we have to go through Mahomes to get to a SB. Won't be the last time we see him. It's possible he thinks he can only go so far with RT.

I guess you guys forgot that the Sheriff went to Denver and couldn't throw a wadded piece of paper into a trash can after breaking his neck but went to a SB and won another. He set a ton of records in Denver. 

Brady is better than Manning, and he didn't break his neck. I can't believe how much you guys are shitting on Brady. The only reason you can say his stats have gone to shit is because they were once so great. 

Jesus I never thought I'd be defending Brady. You guys are literally insane. 

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

If Tannehill doesn’t get re-signed or tagged that is the probably the  first sign.  
And if it turns out to be like Manning to Denver where the Broncos won a Lombardi, I would be happy as heck and wouldn’t care as much about what happened in the seasons after.

On paper - unless this team just has an absurd free agency and gets several steals in the draft, we are going to be worse than we were last season (not counting when Mariota started). 

Major shakeups on the coaching staff, likely losing both our starting RT and one of our better corners, and even the biggest Tannehill and Henry fans expect some kind of regression next year.  How much?  Who knows, but their production this year was absurd and likely not repeatable.  

Now, just because we’re worse “on paper” doesn’t mean the team will actually be worse. We won’t have Mariota putting us in a hole for nearly half a season, but still - those are some significant hurdles to overcome for a team that was at the precipice of winning it all.  

There isn’t a cure-all to fix the holes we lacked and will likely be lacking worse after Logan and Conklin likely walk.  A beast edge rusher goes a long way, but even if we address every major need in FA and premium draft picks - the coaching staff situation and Henry coming back down to earth, even just a bit, possibly puts as more of an above average team than a great one.  

Vrabel and Robinson possibly view Brady as that cure-all.  Or the closest we could get to one.  And they have a lot of reasons to feel that way.  They could be wrong, but if it turns out it’s the way it goes, let’s hope they aren’t.  

4 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

On paper - unless this team just has an absurd free agency and gets several steals in the draft, we are going to be worse than we were last season (not counting when Mariota started). 

Major shakeups on the coaching staff, likely losing both our starting RT and one of our better corners, and even the biggest Tannehill and Henry fans expect some kind of regression next year.  How much?  Who knows, but their production this year was absurd and likely not repeatable.  

Now, just because we’re worse “on paper” doesn’t mean the team will actually be worse. We won’t have Mariota putting us in a hole for nearly half a season, but still - those are some significant hurdles to overcome for a team that was at the precipice of winning it all.  

There isn’t a cure-all to fix the holes we lacked and will likely be lacking worse after Logan and Conklin likely walk.  A beast edge rusher goes a long way, but even if we address every major need in FA and premium draft picks - the coaching staff situation and Henry coming back down to earth, even just a bit, possibly puts as more of an above average team than a great one.  

Vrabel and Robinson possibly view Brady as that cure-all.  Or the closest we could get to one.  And they have a lot of reasons to feel that way.  They could be wrong, but if it turns out it’s the way it goes, let’s hope they aren’t.  

I agree with this a lot.  I’ll just take the flip side (the semi optimistic viewpoint).  I’d take getting a better pass blocking RT + improvements in pass blocking from Nate Davis in year 2 over the 2019 OL.  Plus if we get increased production from the edge rushers (being honest there we were pitiful outside of Landry) that mitigates the loss of Ryan.  

Plus even if Henry regresses from last year’s version into the 2018 2nd half version, that is still a damn good RB.

I do think they need to figure out the PK and returners. I’d hate for that to be the downfall of this franchise AGAIN.

tl;dr.  Lot of question marks but there is a lot higher upside here and if it all comes together, they don’t need to rely on luck so much.

I am interested to see who signs Tannehill and for how much.   I don’t think there is that much of a market for him...I don’t see any team throwing big money at Tannehill.  For instance, you hear how many teams are interested in Conklin.  You hear other QBs being link to teams.  Not a word on Tannehill...other than he switched agents for some sort of leverage or whatever.   I bet you can’t find one fan base (besides the WTF Dragon Titans fans) who is interested in signing Tannehill.  

Edited by Righteous