The right thing to do is not pay Henry

OILERMAN

Just now, big2033 said:

It seems like this is a trust Tannehill thing. You guys trust him more than maybe the staff does.

Tannehill was elite on 1st down. 123 passer rating, 73% comp and averaged 11 yards per pass. 

Yea I trust him. 

And when I'm facing a KC team with Mahomes and playing 8 and 9 man fronts it's not even in question. You throw on 1st down every time 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm actually shocked Tannehill didn't audible on that play.

I've already said I'd pay Henry at this point and I'm not going to bash Robinson when he does. He's turned into a beast, he's the best runner in the league etc......   But honestly, we all k

I’d agree if Tannehill could excel on his own consistently, outside of a dominant run game. But he can’t, so imo they’re a package deal.

Posted Images

Just now, oldschool said:

pass first lol. Simply passing more on 1st down is not saying Tannehill should throw the same amount as Mahomes. 

I know you're not thinking in a extreme sense. But this successful team is philosophically similar to another successful team and it takes a certain commitment to make happen.

Again, to set up those PA bombs they are going to run on 1st down A LOT.

I have no problem running the ball, because it forces the defense to react to your formations. Running it on one play and showing the same look later and then throwing it or using play action works, if you take it. We didn’t, simple case closed. We lost before halftime and that’s it. We were moving the ball at ease, everything was clicking then we got to cute tried running out the clock, and I blame Vrabel. He probably told Tanny not to check out of the second down run and use up time and go into half being up 3. 

Giving money to Henry is the smartest play.  We have the cash.  Henry is a Earl Campbell,  Bo Jackson running back.  He changes the game.  You get better when you keep you Elite Players and try to add more to the mix.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

I know you're not thinking in a extreme sense. But this successful team is philosophically similar to another successful team and it takes a certain commitment to make happen.

Again, to set up those PA bombs they are going to run on 1st down A LOT.

running a lot is fine. 50/50 would be ideal. To your point they had everything set up to get a huge play right before the half and just ran it twice when the Chiefs were selling out to stop the run. 

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Tannehill was elite on 1st down. 123 passer rating, 73% comp and averaged 11 yards per pass. 

Yea I trust him. 

And when I'm facing a KC team with Mahomes and playing 8 and 9 man fronts it's not even in question. You throw on 1st down every time 

Couldn't Tannehill's 1st down number be attributed the sampling and situations? We run it a lot, so when we throw it, it's effective. This is a chicken and the egg thing.

I'm not saying I have the answers, but we've been through this complaint before with Mariota.

And you just brought up Garoppolo. Could it be that our team sees Tannehill largely as a game manager who needs a heavy run-first philosophy to maximize his skills?

While you guys see more balance.

Edited by big2033

SF and TEN were almost identical in their overall run/pass ratios on first down.  Where it differs is that the Titans were more run heavy on first down in the first halves than SF.  The Titans were 60/40 run/pass whereas SF was 48/52.....

In the 2nd half, SF was 73/27 run/pass and the Titans were 64/36 run/pass.

I'm sure it will be something the team looks at in the offseason to get a little more balance early on. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

running a lot is fine. 50/50 would be ideal. To your point they had everything set up to get a huge play right before the half and just ran it twice when the Chiefs were selling out to stop the run. 

We also had instances where in the two-minute drill we ran it with Henry to success. We're not going to go away from him unless we have to. Most of the time our plan will start with him.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Couldn't Tannehill's 1st down number be attributed the sampling and situations? We run it a lot, so when we throw it, it's effective. This is a chicken and the egg thing.

Exactly, maybe in some situations teams stack the box and play 8 and 9 man fronts, maybe even goaline defenses. That def makes it very advantageous to throw the ball on 1st down.....

You know, just like yesterday!

Argue about second half but to me it’s a moot point. We were down at halftime and we lost the lead and 2 score advantage. The drive before halftime we had just taken the ball 9 minutes for a touchdown, with different plays out of the same formations that were fooling the chiefs, the chiefs were keeping a safety high giving us the run and we were taking it, when they didn’t have anybody back the pass was working for good gains almost 10-15 yard pass plays. This is clear cut on Vrabel and his hands and going conservative. 

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I'm not saying I have the answers, but we've been through this complaint before with Mariota.

And you just brought up Garoppolo. Could it be that our team sees Tannehill largely as a game manager who needs a heavy run-first philosophy to maximize his skills.

While you guys see more balance.

The fact the team wants to sign RT long term defeats your argument.

27 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The Chiefs were in fucking goalline and were selling out to stop the run. Not throwing the ball on 1st or 2nd down on the final drive before the half is a fireable offense.

Fireable offense?  Good lord.

How many times has Henry busted a long one to flip the script, whether it be 1st or 2nd Down.

He drove it down the Patriots throat at the end of the half. 

Coming off the heels of a 15 play drive, it is not that crazy to see if they can do it again.

How do you know what look they were in for those plays? Could RT have audibled?

The line failed. They were out of gas.  You know, the “Hogs” version of 2019. 

No issue with the drive before the half.  They just failed to execute.

And the defense failed to keep KC out of the end zone.

Just now, BudAdams said:

Where it differs is that the Titans were more run heavy on first down in the first halves than SF.  The Titans were 60/40 run/pass whereas SF was 48/52.....

This is massive @japan

And to add to this Tannehill is better than Jimmy G and the Titan skill people are better minus Kittle 

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Exactly, maybe in some situations teams stack the box and play 8 and 9 man fronts, maybe even goaline defenses. That def makes it very advantageous to throw the ball on 1st down.....

You know, just like yesterday!

Like I've said about Mariota, if Tannehill has the skills he's going to have to force the coaches to change philosophy with the little plays he has.

Obviously he's better than Mariota, but he does have a past and I think he's going to have to prove that going 50/50 is the future of this franchise.

Or our coaches will play the percentages.

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

The fact the team wants to sign RT long term defeats your argument.

The Chiefs signed Alex Smith long-term. It doesn't mean we want to throw it more. It means he fits what we want to do.