We might need to draft a QB

NashvilleNinja

23 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Haha all good. Like I said I would be pounding my chest as well if I was out in front of the Mariota situation. As for Tannehill I guess that makes sense if you think his body of work in Miami is a factor. Personally I think he was better than most remember in Miami however I'm not ready to use that as a factor for signing him long term. As far as I'm concerned he delivered at a high level for one season and it's always risky signing players to big contracts on a single season's worth of work.  

I would rather see him another season before signing a long term high dollar contract, but it won't be an option, and there are plenty of teams that would love to scoop him up.

It is impossible to know if he drops off next year. Something to think about though is Henry carried a lot of the load, and he also sat on the bench 6 weeks, so he was rested coming in.  It's really hard to say how long Henry can play the way he is and put up these otherworldly stats, but we all know it won't last forever. And if Henry was to regress or get injured, how far can Tannehill carry this team on his own?

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fucking hate this board sometimes. 

No, this is not a bash on Tannehill thread. Dude was money for most of the games he played in, at least for what we asked of him. And no, this is not a call to let him go to free agency. He's earned a

Man you guys turn on a dime.

Posted Images

On 1/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, Soxcat said:

Some of the comments are so ridiculous it is hard to even answer them.  Who else is as good as Mahommes?  Who comes close?  Rodgers?  Dumb comment.  

First of all Tannehill didn't play that much less of a game than Mahommes.  He had more pressure on him and his WRs weren't getting as good of separation.

But the dumbest thing is thinking we can get a better QB picking where we pick in the draft.  That is fing insane logic.  

Then saying he is 31, like he is a RB or something is ridiculous.  He easily has 5 more good years left.  He is in his prime.

Thirdly, we can sign him and not blow whatever draft picks we would need to blow to draft a comparable guy.  We just made it within 11 points of the SB.  

Not sure anyone beats the Chiefs at home the way they were playing.  They were like a machine.  Of course our late seaon pick up off waivers geve up a long TD pass which basically kept us from having a legit chance at the end.

Makes way more sense to sign Tannehill and support players like Henry and use draft picks to upgrade the team even more on defense.

Our best WR was a rookie.  Brown will get even better.   Humphries was decent today but not what he could have been if not coming off an injury.

Davis needs to be replaced with a guy with more big play ability and speed.  He is too easy to guard.

Right. First question: does anyone want to rebuild after last season? No? Then sign Tannehill. He is the answer for at least a few seasons. 

We don't have a ton of draft capital, so we should use that wisely. This is the year to pay Tanney and not immediately undercut that with a high draft pick. Sign a reasonable backup for next season and move on. We need to draft a pass rusher. We need to draft a RB compliment to Henry. We will need Oline and DB help. Any 3 of those 4 in the first round of the draft  would be gravy to me. 

2021 draft? That's when we'll have a better eye towards getting a developmental QB. 

I think if we have this mindset, we can take what falls to us (maybe a really good QB is passed on and we draft one in R3. Fine.). 

Bringing up Mahomes is irrelevant. No one in the league is Mahomes. Mahomes is also in the absolute right situation in that offense with speedy receivers. 

And yet, we had a chance to beat those guys with Mahomes, and would have been in it even more if we adjusted play calling and put the game more in Tannehill's hands. 

We need to roll this whole team back and improve it. Blowing it up now would waste the confidence and culture we built with this run. 

I have no issue with Tannehill.  I hope to sign him for the next few years.  I’m not fine, however with making him one of the highest paid QB’s in the NFL.  He is what is.  A very, very good game manager.  And that’s fine with the offense we run.  We don’t necessarily need a Mahomes type under center. But he’s not  a QB who can carry the team and I don’t think he should be paid like one. 

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Most of you people are unworthy to discuss QB play and how that equates to value

Tannehill is getting a multi year contract a big one.

Of course he will.  We all understand that he has created value.  That is not the argument.  Kerry Collins got a new contract after the 13-3, 2008 season.  Same scenario.  He led a team that was a run first offense.  He insisted on being named the starter too.  He’d earn that also.  The very next year, Collins started 0-6 and lost the job to Vince Young.

We have all seen this before.  It’s nothing new.  Scrubs don’t become superstars.  And we’ve had our share of fixer uppers...Hasselbecks, Collins, Fitzpatricks, Chandlers, Carlson’s, etc.  In my 40 plus years of being a fan, I’ve seen 18 playoff appearances.  14 were led by Pastorini, Moon and McNair.  The fixer upper’s have led us to 2 (Mariota and Young were drafted).  We’ve seen this strategy before.  In fact, we’ve seen this strategy too much by this organization.  It’s not a winning formula.  

Tannehill will get paid.  I just hope it’s not from us.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm not going to guess specifics but you know RT's agent is going to be pointing directly at guys like Wentz, Jimmy G and Goff contracts. 

It's going to be somewhere between Cousins/Jimmy G and Goff/Wentz. 

100+ mill total, 50+ mill guaranteed and around 30 mill annually 

and the overall numbers don’t really matter. I’m not worried about anything until I see the structure. Hopefully Jrob gets the guaranteed money front loaded. It would set up an easy out on his contract if he fails to perform. 

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

Haha all good. Like I said I would be pounding my chest as well if I was out in front of the Mariota situation. As for Tannehill I guess that makes sense if you think his body of work in Miami is a factor. Personally I think he was better than most remember in Miami however I'm not ready to use that as a factor for signing him long term. As far as I'm concerned he delivered at a high level for one season and it's always risky signing players to big contracts on a single season's worth of work.  

The only people who should be pounding their chests are the ones who knew RT would be as good as he was this year given a chance, that would be ZERO people, 

5 hours ago, oldschool said:

I think if you assume that Tannehill’s level of play turns out to be better than his MIA level but below whatever he accomplished this year it’s a pretty safe re-sign.

Length of deal doesn’t really bother me 3 years later isn’t long term.

1 hour ago, Lars said:

The only people who should be pounding their chests are the ones who knew RT would be as good as he was this year given a chance, that would be ZERO people, 

Wrong.  A few of us knew Mariota was horrible and Tannehill was an upgrade even if he played at same level he did in Miami.  The fact that Tannehill played an elite level was icing on the cake but it also reinforced how awful Mariota was and how weak all of his apologists were with regard to the excuses - coaching, scheme, talent around him......

Ryan Tannehill still has a chance to turn into one of the better QB's in the league. After all he was the 8th player chosen in the 2012 draft and third QB taken after Luck and RGIII. Five of eight QB's drafted in the first four rounds are still playing including RGIII,Tannehill,Wilson,Foles and Cousins.

Tannehill did a respectable job in Miami and you have to consider also how far Miami has fallen when it comes to the talent and coaching.

Tannehill was one of the most sacked QB's in 2013,2014 and 2015 so he didn't have a good line the majority of his time there.

In Tannehill's six years in Miami he had 15 fourth quarter comebacks and 13 game winning drives. Also his rookie year Tannehill went on to set franchise rookie records for passing yards, attempts, and completions. Tannehill became the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for over 3,000 yards in each of his first four seasons in the league.

Tannehill During a 2015 Week 7 victory over the Houston Texans, became the 64th quarterback in NFL history to post a perfect 158.3 passer rating. In the same game, he set the all-time NFL record for consecutive completed passes with 25, (In 2018, Philip Rivers & Nick Foles tied his record and in 2019 Drew Brees broke it.)

In 2016 Tannehill led the Dolphins to a playoff berth but wasn't able to play due to being injured late in the season. On August 3, 2017, Tannehill suffered a torn ACL ending his season before it even started.

So starting in 2015 and 2016 he was progressing into a good QB before getting hurt in 2017.

His last three seasons his passer rating has been 90+....93.5, 92.7, 117.5

His last three seasons his completion % has been 67.1%, 64.2% and 70.3%

Only QB to beat Tom Brady multiple times in Miami and again in Tennessee

So it looks like even in spite of the subpar offensive line,mediocre talent and crappy coaching in Miami Tannehill was getting better and rising in play.

Sure Tannehill had a great year led Tennessee to AFC title game,led NFL in passer rating 117.5 and was third in comp % 70.3,led NFL in yards per completion 13.6,led NFL in red zone TD % at 75.6

Even though Tannehill might revert a little bit he can still be a top 10 type QB after all he was getting better each year and all he needed was a change of scenery to let his talents shine through.

Tannehill could easily be our Rich Gannon,Kurt Warner,Alex Smith,Carson Palmer,etc.

Tannehill is only 31 he can easily play five or six more years at a high level.

The dumbest thing the brass could do is draft a QB early or let Tannehill go in favor of Brady.

4 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

Ryan Tannehill still has a chance to turn into one of the better QB's in the league. After all he was the 8th player chosen in the 2012 draft and third QB taken after Luck and RGIII. Five of eight QB's drafted in the first four rounds are still playing including RGIII,Tannehill,Wilson,Foles and Cousins.

Tannehill did a respectable job in Miami and you have to consider also how far Miami has fallen when it comes to the talent and coaching.

Tannehill was one of the most sacked QB's in 2013,2014 and 2015 so he didn't have a good line the majority of his time there.

I

Tannehill is one of the most sacked QBs because that's how he plays, he holds the ball and tries to make plays; it's not a fatal flaw and other really good QBs like Watson and Big Ben do the same thing. I have no problem giving him what it takes to get a 3-4 year deal, given his past I would think that number would be in the $27-28 million dollar range. However I don't think that should preclude us from taking a QBoF as early as the first round of this year's draft; if they feel there's a worthy prospect. All this talk about how that would somehow disrupt the locker room is completely overblown; they just benched the well liked starter mid season and that didn't cause discord, the players all know this is a business where it's better to have the needed replacement too soon. Our first round pick didn't play for half the year this year and was limited by that knee getting sore down the stretch and yet we still thrived. I also wouldn't be against leveraging Henry to an extent by trying to get a more reasonable deal by holding the Franchise tag over his head. 

10 hours ago, Righteous said:

Of course he will.  We all understand that he has created value.  That is not the argument.  Kerry Collins got a new contract after the 13-3, 2008 season.  Same scenario.  He led a team that was a run first offense.  He insisted on being named the starter too.  He’d earn that also.  The very next year, Collins started 0-6 and lost the job to Vince Young.

We have all seen this before.  It’s nothing new.  Scrubs don’t become superstars.  And we’ve had our share of fixer uppers...Hasselbecks, Collins, Fitzpatricks, Chandlers, Carlson’s, etc.  In my 40 plus years of being a fan, I’ve seen 18 playoff appearances.  14 were led by Pastorini, Moon and McNair.  The fixer upper’s have led us to 2 (Mariota and Young were drafted).  We’ve seen this strategy before.  In fact, we’ve seen this strategy too much by this organization.  It’s not a winning formula.  

Tannehill will get paid.  I just hope it’s not from us.

Don't you think that fit is a driver for RT's breakout year?

13 hours ago, TennTitans23 said:

0% chance I’m paying RT 30 million.  If that’s his asking price he can walk.  There’s a lot of young players coming down the pipe The next 3-4 years I’d keep over paying RT 30 million per year.  I think he’s a humble guy and knows he’s in a good spot, so I can’t see him pushing to break the bank.  But at 30 million, I’m out. 

GTFOH with that bullshit