We might need to draft a QB

NashvilleNinja

14 hours ago, Righteous said:

This fan base needs to chant the mantra “Good to Great” over and over again.  It was a good playoff run powered by the legs of Derrick Henry.  It seems people here are enamored with mediocrity.  In 2016, the Houston Texans won the division and a playoff game with Brock Osweiller.  Did the organization think he was the man for the job?  No...they drafted Deshaun Watson the very next year.

In 2016, the Kansas City Chiefs were 12-4 and division winners with Alex Smith.  Did they think he was the answer at QB?  No...they drafted Patrick Mahomes the very next year.  Baltimore was 9-7 in 2017 and drafted Lamar Jackson the very next year.

I hope the FO is not as short sighted as the majority of the fans on this Board and are willing to take the necessary risks to go from “Good to Great.”  Because if they don’t, they will be looking up at KC, Houston and Baltimore for a long time.  

Let me finish this stupidity once and for all. If they think someone is great at 29 they will draft them. But the chances of that are almost non existent. So look at the draft like a fucking adult and not sone day dreaming 12 yearold.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fucking hate this board sometimes. 

No, this is not a bash on Tannehill thread. Dude was money for most of the games he played in, at least for what we asked of him. And no, this is not a call to let him go to free agency. He's earned a

Man you guys turn on a dime.

Posted Images

Just now, Callidus said:

Let me finish this stupidity once and for all. If they think someone is great at 29 they will draft them. But the chances of that are almost non existent. So look at the draft like a fucking adult and not sone day dreaming 12 yearold.

Always the ignorant once without comprehension skills to reply.  Move on.  I don’t engage with trolls.

1 minute ago, Righteous said:

Always the ignorant once without comprehension skills to reply.  Move on.  I don’t engage with trolls.

wtf are you talking about? I may not be considered one of the best posters around here but I know I am listened to when I speak. we all know your are a moron so deal with it.

1 hour ago, Righteous said:

No the dumb people would be Miami for, after 6 years of superb play, trading such a supremely talented franchise QB to the Titans for a low round draft pick, right?  Or are the dumb people the ones who. after 12 games, have crowned Tannehill king.

Can’t say this sad fan base ever changes though.  I remember these very same people (posters) claiming the need to go with Zack Mettenberger too.   Even after Locker and Mariota, I still cram to understand the desperation of this fan base.  Heartbreaking.

It's pretty simple.  The NFL is all about windows.  We currently have a window to compete for a Superbowl.  With a window open, why would you jettison a guy who finally, after all of these years after McNair, looks like he isn't a liability behind center.  In fact, he looked really good when not asked to carry the team.  Seems like a no-brainer to resign him, as long as he isn't wanting big money (I agree that this Brady talk will be used as a negotiating tactic.)  I also agree that we probably take a QB in next draft if the right guy is around when they pick. 

4 minutes ago, japan said:

It's pretty simple.  The NFL is all about windows.  We currently have a window to compete for a Superbowl.  With a window open, why would you jettison a guy who finally, after all of these years after McNair, looks like he isn't a liability behind center.  In fact, he looked really good when not asked to carry the team.  Seems like a no-brainer to resign him, as long as he isn't wanting big money (I agree that this Brady talk will be used as a negotiating tactic.)  I also agree that we probably take a QB in next draft if the right guy is around when they pick. 

There are a few trains of thought when it comes to Tannehill.  I am against the suggestion that Tannehill is a franchise QB, capable of carrying this team on his shoulders and he deserves to be paid like that.  That move will hamstring this organization.  To me, Tannehill is a short term solution and I want him or the next QB to be treated as such.  If he costs $30M, let him walk.  The team still needs to find that future QB and that should be the goal of this organization...not setting for a QB because of wishful thinking or the fact he is better than what we had.  This is already a good team and with fair to. decent QB play, we can win.  We won even when Mariota played decently (unfortunately that was rarely last year).

I would much rather spend money on an Edge, DE, CB, than than Tannehill.  And if the organization is keeping its eyes on the prize, I would rather have TB12 over Tannehill as the bridge QB.  

Honestly, Tannehill has looked really good for what's been asked of him.  Sure, he isn't Pat Mahomes and never will be.  HOWEVER, he played at a very good-to-elite level for most of the games he started.  As others have mentioned, the dude is only 31 and probably has at leasr 3-4 years of very good QB play left in him.

We get a backup QB and a good RB2 (which is probably pretty easy to find) and the offense is set.

Tagging Ryan Tannehill is the right choice. It gives us flexibility. He'll either sign it, force a longer contract, or we can trade him if no agreement is met. My preference is seeing him duplicate the success of this year, before signing him to a long term contract. 

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Most of you people are unworthy to discuss QB play and how that equates to value

Tannehill is getting a multi year contract a big one.

What type of contract would you sign Ryan Tannehill ? Lay out the numbers.

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Most of you people are unworthy to discuss QB play and how that equates to value

Tannehill is getting a multi year contract a big one.

Stop pounding your chest for a minute and answer this question. Are you really comfortable signing Tannehill off one good season? 

30 minutes ago, Guts said:

What type of contract would you sign Ryan Tannehill ? Lay out the numbers.

I'm not going to guess specifics but you know RT's agent is going to be pointing directly at guys like Wentz, Jimmy G and Goff contracts. 

It's going to be somewhere between Cousins/Jimmy G and Goff/Wentz. 

100+ mill total, 50+ mill guaranteed and around 30 mill annually 

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Stop pounding your chest for a minute and answer this question. Are you really comfortable signing Tannehill off one good season? 

First fo all, no concerning pounding my chest. It has to be said. Some of the stuff I've read the last few days is borderline retarded. 

And secondly of course I'm comfortable signing Ryan Tannehill. He wasn't some fluke this year. He played consistently well all year. He was a solid QB with Miami who got into a good situation with a talented offense. 

He's not going to turn into a bum. 

We got super lucky to get him, now keep him. 

Tagging him makes you lose another player and his salary goes up again next year

0% chance I’m paying RT 30 million.  If that’s his asking price he can walk.  There’s a lot of young players coming down the pipe The next 3-4 years I’d keep over paying RT 30 million per year.  I think he’s a humble guy and knows he’s in a good spot, so I can’t see him pushing to break the bank.  But at 30 million, I’m out. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

First fo all, no concerning pounding my chest. It has to be said. Some of the stuff I've read the last few days is borderline retarded. 

And secondly of course I'm comfortable signing Ryan Tannehill. He wasn't some fluke this year. He played consistently well all year. He was a solid QB with Miami who got into a good situation with a talented offense. 

He's not going to turn into a bum. 

We got super lucky to get him, now keep him. 

Tagging him makes you lose another player and his salary goes up again next year

Haha all good. Like I said I would be pounding my chest as well if I was out in front of the Mariota situation. As for Tannehill I guess that makes sense if you think his body of work in Miami is a factor. Personally I think he was better than most remember in Miami however I'm not ready to use that as a factor for signing him long term. As far as I'm concerned he delivered at a high level for one season and it's always risky signing players to big contracts on a single season's worth of work.  

46 minutes ago, TennTitans23 said:

0% chance I’m paying RT 30 million.  If that’s his asking price he can walk.  There’s a lot of young players coming down the pipe The next 3-4 years I’d keep over paying RT 30 million per year.  I think he’s a humble guy and knows he’s in a good spot, so I can’t see him pushing to break the bank.  But at 30 million, I’m out. 

unless you want to watch crap football for possibly the next decade plus, you pay the man. 

do we need to go through another VY/Locker/Mariota cycle? Drafting a QB is always a gamble, Id say much more so than expecting RT to maintain his level of play. Those players your hoping to sign later are useless without a legit QB to lead your team