OILERMAN

Here is the big concern with Vrabel going forward

I'm curious how they retool the roster now and deal with impending FA.  Ryan and Conklin are likely gone.  What they do with the money is interesting.  Going to assume that Jayon Brown gets an extension.  And that they chase after a free agent edge rusher.

5 minutes ago, rns90 said:

This was like this with LaFleur as well.  

He used more 3 WR sets and threw it on early downs more often without sacrificing a conservative, run-heavy approach.

5 minutes ago, japan said:

I mean, watch SF play.  They run the ball a ton.

Elite running game and a generally pedestrian QB who can play very well at times. 

7 minutes ago, japan said:

I mean, watch SF play.  They run the ball a ton.

They also have several backs who can gash a defense. I love Henry, all things considered he's probably the best back in the league but he needs some help back there. I love the template of a bruising running game.  We should look at the 49ers as a way to make it work.

3 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

He used more 3 WR sets and threw it on early downs more often without sacrificing a conservative, run-heavy approach.

And the offense was piss poor.

Let's give the newly found receiving core along with the QB that helped to unearth them a full off season together along with the coaching staff and see what comes.

The dye was cast regarding the offense with Marriota the automatic starter, Vrabel said it the offense would run through Henry and I don't believe it was just because Henry was just that great, they knew Mariota was limited and if they had to go the full season carrying Marcus then Henry was their only solution.

It's incredibly unlikely we will keep winning with this formula. Teams will look at what we did, and in the offseason  they will adjust. Just like we provided the blueprint for the Ravens, here is the blueprint for us. Set the edge, congest the middle, force the OL into obvious pass situations.

We have to adapt.

I like Smith and hope he truly matches scheme to talent. We need a legit pass rush. We need a deep threat to replace Corey Davis and back the defense up. We need a better #2 RB -- actually we need a 3rd down back AND a legit backup.

We caught lightning in a bottle and that isn't easy to duplicate. To compete next year, we have to grow.

Edited by cenj

5 minutes ago, cenj said:

It's incredibly unlikely we will keep winning with this formula. Teams will look at what we did, and in the offseason  they will adjust. Just like we provided the blueprint for the Ravens, here is the blueprint for us. Set the edge, congest the middle, force the OL into obvious pass situations.

We have to adapt.

I like Smith and hope he truly matches scheme to talent. We need a legit pass rush. We need a deep threat to replace Corey Davis and back the defense up. We need a better #2 RB -- actually we need a 3rd down back AND a legit backup.

We caught lightning in a bottle and that isn't easy to duplicate. To compete next year, we have to grow.

Again - Vrabel and Pees are not pass rush guys philosophically. 

People are going to keep saying this until they’re blue in the face for years on end. 

16 minutes ago, tgo said:

Again - Vrabel and Pees are not pass rush guys philosophically. 

People are going to keep saying this until they’re blue in the face for years on end. 

There is no coach in this league that doesn't want Edge players who can win 1-on-1. We rushed only 3 players a ton: you can't do that and accept that no one will ever get to the QB. 

I personally think both Vrabel and Pees would love to have Clowney.

They def want pass rushers for their nickel and dime defenses, that's why they signed Wake, You have to rush the passer in obvious passing situations with 4 people.

I don't think that was the problem with defending Mahomes though

4 minutes ago, cenj said:

There is no coach in this league that doesn't want Edge players who can win 1-on-1. We rushed only 3 players a ton: you can't do that and accept that no one will ever get to the QB. 

I personally think both Vrabel and Pees would love to have Clowney.

Well yes of course they would, because Clowney is a dominant run player first. 

And yes of course they would love to have a pass rush demon to utilize on 3rd and long, but point being - they’re not a group that prioritizes pass rush the way some other teams do. 

They pass rush situationally. 

I agree that they need another pass rusher btw, I just don’t think it was the problem this week and hasn’t been for a lot of the season. 

Edited by tgo

Just now, tgo said:

Well yes of course they would, because Clowney is a dominant run player first. 

And yes of course they would love to have a pass rush demon to utilize on 3rd and long, but point being - they’re not a group that prioritizes pass rush the way some other teams do. 

Then they will lose unless everything goes perfect for them. You have to be able to rush the passer period. The Titans couldn't and it killed them today.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

@japan also notice it doesnt matter who plays RB for the Niners? That's what makes them so dangerous.

But we should dump $40 million into a RB and RT.  LOL

29 minutes ago, cenj said:

It's incredibly unlikely we will keep winning with this formula.

This is my my point. Vrabel has got to adjust and open things up.

The Titans will not duplicate the redzone and running game again