OILERMAN

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vrabel is more offensively conservative than Fisher or Mularkey. Almost comically so.    The Titans run the ball and run the ball on 1st down at a level you just don't see in the NFL. Warren

People arguing Vrabel needs a better roster   In 2019 and 2020 the Titans had a quality offensive roster.   In the KC AFC title game up 10-0, Vrabel shuts it down and starts runnin

I actually don't blame Vrabel or Smith for this loss.  We just need to face the fact this team is somewhat one dimensional when it comes to the game plan.  If we can play our game, we win.  But if we

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Aramis said:

You could replace KC with Baltimore in that post and I honestly wouldn’t it was over a year old....

Yeah, I think somewhere last year I posted it was a learning experience for Vrabel and he would adapt......uh-oh.

This is also why, as crazy as it sounds, the flash plays and success that DH has had can actually be a detriment in the playoffs when you hit those good teams that decide to sell out to stop the run.  The coaches feel like they just have to keep giving him chances over and over.  Then you add that to a bad defense and here we are.

We ran on first AND second down a lot which put us in third and long frequently.  I'd rather see more play action and designed QB runs on first and second down. The problem is I don't see that changing much with a new OC. Vrabel might keep a stranglehold on the play calling. He is great with the players and preparation and promotes a great locker room and manages the game very well but he needs to give his coordinators more leeway to do their jobs. 

5 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

We ran on first AND second down a lot which put us in third and long frequently.  I'd rather see more play action and designed QB runs on first and second down. The problem is I don't see that changing much with a new OC. Vrabel might keep a stranglehold on the play calling. He is great with the players and preparation and promotes a great locker room and manages the game very well but he needs to give his coordinators more leeway to do their jobs. 

The big imbalance was first down.  They were the most run heavy team on 1st down (35% pass/65% run).   The league average is 50/50.  On second down, they were 50/50 (3rd most run heavy) but the league average was 58%.  3rd down was 77% pass (league average was 75%).

If they simply become balanced on 1st down, it fixes the issue.  The problem is that it does not maximize the skill set of Henry, who's a 2 down back.

42 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

The big imbalance was first down.  They were the most run heavy team on 1st down (35% pass/65% run).   The league average is 50/50.  On second down, they were 50/50 (3rd most run heavy) but the league average was 58%.  3rd down was 77% pass (league average was 75%).

If they simply become balanced on 1st down, it fixes the issue.  The problem is that it does not maximize the skill set of Henry, who's a 2 down back.

This is the crux of the issue. Is it Vrabel or the 2 OCs who have worked for him in 3 years? In my opinion is Vrabel. Warren Sharp has tons of data that shows 1st down is by far the best down to pass due to defenses being in their base defensive sets. It sounds counterintuitive but can you imagine how much better the Titans offense would be if they were 50/50 on 1st down and Henry was a 1200 yard RB? 

29 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is the crux of the issue. Is it Vrabel or the 2 OCs who have worked for him in 3 years? In my opinion is Vrabel. Warren Sharp has tons of data that shows 1st down is by far the best down to pass due to defenses being in their base defensive sets. It sounds counterintuitive but can you imagine how much better the Titans offense would be if they were 50/50 on 1st down and Henry was a 1200 yard RB? 

I think it's a combination of factors - Vrabel is certainly one.  The skill sets of Henry and the OL personnel as well.  The offense would be better, and even now it's very good, if they moved towards a 50/50 split.  Hopefully the Ravens playoff game loss will resonate more than the KC one, where objectively the Chiefs were the better team all around AND the Titans were spent.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Vrabel will eventually leave behind his run on first down bullshit. It's up to him whether he chooses that path or it's chosen for him.