Here is the big concern with Vrabel going forward

OILERMAN

Just now, Lars said:

Ryan Tannihill is our QB. Not Mahomes. The more he throws, the law of diminishing returns will catch up to him. More turnovers, more sacks. He’s a solid QB but you aren’t winning having him throwing it 45 times a game. 

You keep making this argument and it doesn't make any sense because no one actually thinks Tannehill should be throwing 45 times a game.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vrabel is more offensively conservative than Fisher or Mularkey. Almost comically so.    The Titans run the ball and run the ball on 1st down at a level you just don't see in the NFL. Warren

People arguing Vrabel needs a better roster   In 2019 and 2020 the Titans had a quality offensive roster.   In the KC AFC title game up 10-0, Vrabel shuts it down and starts runnin

I actually don't blame Vrabel or Smith for this loss.  We just need to face the fact this team is somewhat one dimensional when it comes to the game plan.  If we can play our game, we win.  But if we

Posted Images

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans attempted a pass on 1st down 4 times heading into the 4th quarter yesterday. 

Ryan Tannehill was 3 for 4 for 46 yards on those 4 attempts. Tannehill finished the game with a solid 108 passer rating. 

KC completely sold out to stop the run, Romo even pointed out on one 1st down KC had no one back and were actually in a goaline defense and the Titans ran the ball. 

I completely agree that Vrabel needs to be less conservative and they certainly need more play action on 1st and 2nd down.

However, KC never ran a goal line defense on 1st down.  That was just one play on the 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter.  Titans brought in the jumbo package and moved Conklin to the left of Lewan and Kelly at RT and KC basically played a goal line defense to match.

Also saying that they only threw 4 times on 1st down heading into the 4th quarter is true, but misleading.  They threw 4 times on 1st down on the 1st 3 drives and scored on all 3.  After that, there were only 2 drives before the 4th quarter - the awful 3 and out before the half and they only had 1 drive in the 3rd quarter.

They obviously got too conservative by running on 1st and 2nd down and then calling a screen to Lewis on that last drive before the half, but it was also terrible execution and the KC defense just dominated the OL on those two running plays (Lewan got beat badly on the 2nd down play). 

In the 3rd quarter, they had a 2nd and 1.  Sure, I'd like them to take a play action shot there.  However, it they couldn't pick up 1 yard on two running plays, they didn't deserve to win anyway.  If they pick up the first there, who knows what would have happened.

The other thing I will say is that they also need to figure out how to have a non-play action passing game without constantly giving up pressure.  That 1st drive of the 4th quarter was all passes (4) with 1 going for negative yards and a sack.  

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

You keep making this argument and it doesn't make any sense because no one actually thinks Tannehill should be throwing 45 times a game.

There are actually people who think that passing the ball works equally for all teams regardless of personnel. 

15 minutes ago, Jas said:

I completely agree that Vrabel needs to be less conservative and they certainly need more play action on 1st and 2nd down.

However, KC never ran a goal line defense on 1st down.  That was just one play on the 3rd and 1 in the 3rd quarter.  Titans brought in the jumbo package and moved Conklin to the left of Lewan and Kelly at RT and KC basically played a goal line defense to match.

Also saying that they only threw 4 times on 1st down heading into the 4th quarter is true, but misleading.  They threw 4 times on 1st down on the 1st 3 drives and scored on all 3.  After that, there were only 2 drives before the 4th quarter - the awful 3 and out before the half and they only had 1 drive in the 3rd quarter.

They obviously got too conservative by running on 1st and 2nd down and then calling a screen to Lewis on that last drive before the half, but it was also terrible execution and the KC defense just dominated the OL on those two running plays (Lewan got beat badly on the 2nd down play). 

In the 3rd quarter, they had a 2nd and 1.  Sure, I'd like them to take a play action shot there.  However, it they couldn't pick up 1 yard on two running plays, they didn't deserve to win anyway.  If they pick up the first there, who knows what would have happened.

The other thing I will say is that they also need to figure out how to have a non-play action passing game without constantly giving up pressure.  That 1st drive of the 4th quarter was all passes (4) with 1 going for negative yards and a sack. 

Exactly - their plan was fine and it was working up until the first 3 and out.  The problem was that the defense could not stop KC. 

This wasn't a first down problem - second down was the issue and the 3 2nd down runs to Henry all failed in the first half.

21 hours ago, abenjami said:

I actually don't blame Vrabel or Smith for this loss.  We just need to face the fact this team is somewhat one dimensional when it comes to the game plan.  If we can play our game, we win.  But if we can't play our game and have to have a shootout, our OL can't pass protect worth a shit and our defense is pedestrian.

Agreed. Our offensive philosophy depended on successfully running the ball 30 times a game and scoring TDs in the redzone.  As soon as KC got a lead they started killing the clock by running the ball and we had to abandon the running game. We have to have more balance on offense and truthfully, we have to lean on the passing game more than we did or it's going to be easy to beat this team once someone gets a lead on us. It's extremely difficult to come back on an offensive team like KC without a vertical passing game. He literally had to ride Henry he was running so well but pass pro is our achilles heel. Our offense has to come from having good balance between pass and run. Of course some of this will be dictated by personnel and we have no idea what the team will look like next year.

56 minutes ago, Jas said:

39 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Exactly - their plan was fine and it was working up until the first 3 and out.  The problem was that the defense could not stop KC. 

This wasn't a first down problem - second down was the issue and the 3 2nd down runs to Henry all failed in the first half.

The exact situations are irrelevant to the overall complaint. 3rd and 2 is still a conflicted down and they ran when passing was the better option. 

15 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The exact situations are irrelevant to the overall complaint. 3rd and 2 is still a conflicted down and they ran when passing was the better option. 

What do you mean by 3rd and 2?  If you're talking about the 3rd quarter, it was 3rd and less than 1.

I think ultimately they let Conklin, Ryan walk and apply the transition tag to Henry and pay Tannehill

If another team offers Henry more money we can take the L and get draft picks for it. I think we can tag him for a 1st or something like a 1st and 3rd. Not quite sure. 

It would be the best route to go with him. I want to keep him but we have way to many more important pieces to pay before we can pay a RB high end money. 

I rather us keep Brown and Jackson going forward and draft a replacement at RB like Taylor or Swift and change the offense up a little bit and get a speedster at WR. 

I think we could benefit more as a whole if we take the money it would cost to retain Conklin and Henry and apply that to a pass rusher and use the money from Logan Ryan to sign a speedy WR or RB in FA

10 minutes ago, kyle021 said:

I think ultimately they let Conklin, Ryan walk and apply the transition tag to Henry and pay Tannehill

If another team offers Henry more money we can take the L and get draft picks for it. I think we can tag him for a 1st or something like a 1st and 3rd. Not quite sure. 

It would be the best route to go with him. I want to keep him but we have way to many more important pieces to pay before we can pay a RB high end money. 

I rather us keep Brown and Jackson going forward and draft a replacement at RB like Taylor or Swift and change the offense up a little bit and get a speedster at WR. 

I think we could benefit more as a whole if we take the money it would cost to retain Conklin and Henry and apply that to a pass rusher and use the money from Logan Ryan to sign a speedy WR or RB in FA

Transition tag does not allow the original team any compensation if the player is signed to another team.

Also, I would probably sign Mostert for you guys, he was great on Sunday