Outside Zone Running - Titans Style

tgo

Re Arthur Smith:

“But the coach also happened to be inspired by a certain brand of ancient Catholic scholar who was desperate to not leave a good idea behind, which meant that internships with zone-blocking masterminds like Mike Munchak cross pollinated with stints alongside pre-snap motion pioneers like Mike Mularkey and gigs with coaches like John Bunting, Ken Whisenhunt and LaFleur, who was riding the wave of more contemporary concepts.”

6 hours ago, Starkiller said:

It’s a good read. I love how it basically dates a staple of our offense back to Ickey Woods.

Also, I like how Art Smith is less of a system guy and more of a “you have to fit to what you’ve got” guy.

He's absolutely a system guy.  We invested a ton in the receivers, have a QB and hardly throw the ball.

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

He's absolutely a system guy.  We invested a ton in the receivers, have a QB and hardly throw the ball.

How? He came up under so many different systems and you really can’t tell which one he’s doing. It’s almost a perfect blend of LeFleur/shanahann and Mularkey/Cowher 

1 hour ago, Thrill said:

How? He came up under so many different systems and you really can’t tell which one he’s doing. It’s almost a perfect blend of LeFleur/shanahann and Mularkey/Cowher 

No it isn't.  It's the Mularkey system with the Mularkey philosophy, as far as the passing game is concerned.  I'm not saying that their aren't elements of other systems in there, but that's true of every offense in the league.

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

No it isn't.  It's the Mularkey system with the Mularkey philosophy, as far as the passing game is concerned.  I'm not saying that their aren't elements of other systems in there, but that's true of every offense in the league.

He’s running a completely different blocking scheme. You’re basing this off of nothing other than complaints early in the season. 

1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Great read. Titans switching to ZBS was the best thing that has happened for Henry. It also took a pep talk from George, but hes running like he’s in college again.

Gotta credit Lafleur with the switch to zone blocking. 

9 hours ago, Thrill said:

He’s running a completely different blocking scheme. You’re basing this off of nothing other than complaints early in the season. 

We didn't bring in Saffold and drop the stiff Kline for Arthur Smith.  We did so because we were clearly looking to transition to a zone blocking scheme , and he wouldn't have been offered the job without understanding as much.  We stubbornly run the ball and call PA. That's really it.  I think that we know exactly who that comes from.  I'm cool with that.  But I don't think anyone needs to pretend it's some intricately designed offense, because it's not.

3 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

We didn't bring in Saffold and drop the stiff Kline for Arthur Smith.  We did so because we were clearly looking to transition to a zone blocking scheme , and he wouldn't have been offered the job without understanding as much.  We stubbornly run the ball and call PA. That's really it.  I think that we know exactly who that comes from.

Are you seriously whining about the Titans offensive style when we’re playing in the AFC Championship today? 

Feel free to go watch the Tampa Bay Buccaneers throw it all over the yard if that kind of thing is more entertaining for you. 

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

Are you seriously whining about the Titans offensive style when we’re playing in the AFC Championship today? 

Feel free to go watch the Tampa Bay Buccaneers throw it all over the yard if that kind of thing is more entertaining for you. 

I just said I'm cool with it.  I'd like to see more creativity, more screens, players schemed open by something other than the running game.  I've seen it, but not as frequently as we should, given our personnel.  But at least Art isn't doing anything stupid and our players are doing so good that any gripes such as mine are nitpicking at this point.  

Archived