Defense game plan

9 Nines

1) Cover-2 all game, dare Chiefs to run;

2) Prioritize pre-snap hiding what the safeties are doing;

3)  Rely on 4 man pressure with selective and creative blitzes.

The Chiefs seem to use an Air Raid offense flooding sides of the field with receivers.  Here is a good article on how college defenses are handling it:

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/12/18/10447532/how-north-dakota-state-bison-stopped-the-bob-stitt-offense-Air-raid

You can't blindly play cover 2 or cover 3 these days. QBs know how to beat them. The key isn't playing a specific coverage against them. The key is not letting them know what coverage you're in until it's too late.

Someone like the Chiefs likes to spread the field, not only b/c it stretches the defense but b/c it gives them options.

They'll have something like route concepts that beat cover 3 on the right and route concepts (rubs, drags, etc) that beat man coverage on the left. The QB's presnap and postsnap reads are designed to show him what coverage you're in. If you're in zone, he looks right. If you're in man, he looks left. Same w/ cover 2 vs cover 3. If he identifies your coverage presnap then he's got hot routes and audibles to attack whatever coverage you're running.

Then there are concepts that are designed to attack zone coverages based on how your players move. If they're in cover 2 and they fall back into their zones, he's got an easy check down to the RB. If they come forward to cover the RB then he's got a route over the top of them.

Playing a specific coverage isn't the key. The keys are:

1) Scouting tendencies so you've got a clue on what they might run.

2) Limiting big plays

3) Disguising your coverages so they don't easily know how to attack you.

4) Disguising well timed blitzes aimed at getting the offense in long down and distances.

You don't have to be right 3/3 on any giving set of downs. You just have to get them once, maybe twice and then get them into 2nd or 3rd and long so they're playing catch up b/c if you get them into 3rd and long so you can just fall back into cover 4 then all you have to do is crash and tackle the check down and you win. The more you limit the big plays and make them drive, the higher your chances are of calling the right coverage at the right time so get behind on the down/distance. Or even better, your DL gets a jump and they get a holding call.

Pressure w/ the front 3 or 4 makes it much easier though b/c there's less backyard football-style routes when things break down. And it limits the deeper routes b/c the QB doesn't have time to wait for them.

This is chess. College is checkers.

Edited by reo

I would put Brown on Kelce all game long with help from Hooker/Vacarro

I put Adoree 1:1 with Hill and have Byard play centerfield. 

allow Ryan to get one on one with Watkins

i simply rush 3 and mix in zone blitzes with Evans/Landry. 

Honestly I want to see Pees put out a dime defense against them that would consist of Landry, Evans, Casey, Simmons all rushing Mahomes and dropping 7 into coverage with zone and man concepts to confuse Mahomes. 

There will be times I bring 6 guys in for pressure and blitz the fuck out of him knowing one of two things will happen. He will beat the rush and connect anyways or we will drop him for a 5-6 yard loss or something and put them in 2nd and 3rd and longs. 

offensively we have to keep doing what we are doing, but I really want to see Smith be featured big time this week as well as Brown and hopefully Humphries can return. 

Henry needs 25-30 carries and I also would like to see Jonnu Smith get some sweeps and even like him up in the backfield for a carry or two. 

I think this week is the week we see Jackson get a little taste on offense. A few plays with him out there will confuse the hell out of the Chiefs. A play action screen would hit them off guard. Faking the handoff to Henry and throwing a screen to Adoree would have the potential to get us chunk yards. 

We have to bring everything. Especially our best PA game yet. A lot of Levels and Crossers and deep shots. We have ran the fuck out of Henry lately and the Chiefs should expect no less. So hitting them hard and fast early and I mean very early like the first play of the game for a deep rope down the sideline would be ideal to get them to back off.