Ownership deserves this

BudsOilers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing Amy hoist the Lombardi would be a glorious sight to behold.

Amy and Ken's kids deserve a ton of credit for jumping in and taking over control from Tommy and the sister.  Since taking control, AAS has:   Fired Whisenhunt and Webster Hired Robi

And without her Dad, the NFL isn't what it is. 100th year anniversary I can think of nothing better than Bud's team vs Lombardi's team. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

He did in the late 80's/early 90's before the salary cap when they were perennial playoff teams.  But Bud was notoriously cheap at times with players and the facilities in Houston were substandard at the end.

Who did he not pay and they went on to have some glorious career elsewhere?

6 minutes ago, earlers said:

Who did he not pay and they went on to have some glorious career elsewhere?

Before free agency in the 60's and 70's.  Stuff like giving the player a car (from a dealership he owned) instead of money, having guys sit to avoid bonuses, shit like that.  Pastorini's book had some good stories and so did the book Oiler Blues. 

3 hours ago, BudAdams said:

2006 was always viewed as a rebuilding year for anyone paying attention.  Fisher wasn't on his way out then. 

In 2009, that has more legs but even then that team was not going anywhere with VY at QB and most people knew it.  VY lost the team when he tried to quit at halftime of the playoff game and then went AWOL after the 2008 opener.  Rally the team?  Um no.

I was paying plenty of attention in 2006 and was a Fisher fan at the time...and I knew about the Fisher/Reese choice.  It was a decision that set the franchise back a decade.

So VY didn't rally the team out of an 0-6 record?  It's a pretty easy thing to see...0-6 with Collins, 8-2 with VY.  What else do you attribute that change to? 

4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Amy and Ken's kids deserve a ton of credit for jumping in and taking over control from Tommy and the sister.  Since taking control, AAS has:

• Fired Whisenhunt and Webster
  • Hired Robinson and Mularkey
  • Promoted God Robinson to EVP and let him run football operations, including the coaching change to Vrabel
  • Spent money to re-sign core guys (Casey, Lewan, Byard, etc.)
  • Invested in the facilities (Titans HQ and stadium)

AAS lets the football guys run things.  That's refreshing when you compare with other teams.

YES!!

7 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

I was paying plenty of attention in 2006 and was a Fisher fan at the time...and I knew about the Fisher/Reese choice.  It was a decision that set the franchise back a decade.

So VY didn't rally the team out of an 0-6 record?  It's a pretty easy thing to see...0-6 with Collins, 8-2 with VY.  What else do you attribute that change to? 

2009 was CJ's 2K year, right.  But no, it was VY.  He was schemed up to put up 10 TD and 7 INT and an 82 Passer Rating.  Wow,

4 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

2009 was CJ's 2K year, right.  But no, it was VY.  He was schemed up to put up 10 TD and 7 INT and an 82 Passer Rating.  Wow,

CJ did take off after VY took over, that's true.  He averaged nearly 42 yards more per game along with 10 more rushes. 

So your argument will be that Fisher ran the ball more because VY was inept at passing, and that's why we were more successful.  Valid point...and I say again, VY was the reason we were more successful (it apparently made Fisher more aware that he had a 2K yard rusher on his team). 

Just now, IowaOiler said:

CJ did take off after VY took over, that's true.  He averaged nearly 42 yards more per game along with 10 more rushes. 

So your argument will be that Fisher ran the ball more because VY was inept at passing, and that's why we were more successful.  Valid point...and I say again, VY was the reason we were more successful (it apparently made Fisher more aware that he had a 2K yard rusher on his team). 

I think VY's mobility helped CJ some but in the same vein VY had a simplified passing game for obvious reasons and late in the year they simply ran CJ to get him 2 K regardless of whether it was smart or not.

But this thread is about AAS and not Bud/VY/Fisher anyway.

Drafting VY against Fishers wishes was one of Bud's signature moves. Firing Jeff Diamond to save money was another. Hiring Munch as HC from within. I could go on. Amy has been an exemplary owner.