Makaveli

Ryan Tannehill still most important piece on offense

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Steve McNair won the MVP playing in less than 13 and a half games.  Tannehill played in 10 and a quarter games.  It’s not much different.

McNair played in a different era and he didn't have a Derrick Henry or the WRs or any of the things Tannehill has. Completely different scenario. 

3 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

McNair played in a different era and he didn't have a Derrick Henry or the WRs or any of the things Tannehill has. Completely different scenario. 

I'm not comparing the two.  I'm saying that you don't have to play an entire season to have a very good year.  McNair's year was terrific, Tannehill's year was terrific and neither played close to 16 games.

6 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Favre didn’t suck in the playoffs?  He had a 6 int game and multiple ints that were worse than any Manning ever threw, throws that a rookie shouldn’t even make.

Manning was a better QB in the playoffs than Favre.

Obviously the streak is amazing and he was exciting, I’ll give you that.  But on the field?  Not close.

Their stats are actually pretty damn close in the playoffs and that's with Favre's 6 pick game......Favre had a slightly better W/L record and a much better TD%.  Higher INT% too though. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00/gamelog/post/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Favre didn’t suck in the playoffs?  He had a 6 int game and multiple ints that were worse than any Manning ever threw, throws that a rookie shouldn’t even make.

Manning was a better QB in the playoffs than Favre.

Obviously the streak is amazing and he was exciting, I’ll give you that.  But on the field?  Not close.

Lol dude what? Im assuming you have watched football for this long and aren't just looking up stats. There was never talk of Favre choking in the playoffs. Sure he had some bad games that left people scratching their heads but you act like it was the norm or something. Manning was literally known as a choke artist in the play offs. 

Favres SB run -5 tds 1 int 107 QBR

Mannings SB run - 3tds, 7int 70 QBR

And again to reiterate, Favres best WR suffered a career ending injury before Favre even hit his prime. Manning never played a single game in his career without being surrounded by elite talent. 

I'm not comparing the two.  I'm saying that you don't have to play an entire season to have a very good year.  McNair's year was terrific, Tannehill's year was terrific and neither played close to 16 games.

Nobody said Tannehill didn't have a good year. That's irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

Lol dude what? Im assuming you have watched football for this long and aren't just looking up stats. There was never talk of Favre choking in the playoffs. Sure he had some bad games that left people scratching their heads but you act like it was the norm or something. Manning was literally known as a choke artist in the play offs. 

Favres SB run -5 tds 1 int 107 QBR

Mannings SB run - 3tds, 7int 70 QBR

And again to reiterate, Favres best WR suffered a career ending injury before Favre even hit his prime. Manning never played a single game in his career without being surrounded by elite talent. 

You're referencing one specific season as proof?  How about Favre's INT at Philly?  Or at NO?  Both literally costing his team.  He was not good in the Denver Super Bowl.  The guy was a turnover machine and you never knew when he'd just randomly throw a ball into triple coverage for no obvious reason, did not play a smart brand of football and was loved and overrated because of the streak and the way he played.  Game on the line?  I can think of so many QBs I'd rather have than him it's not even funny.

I suspect you and I are not going to agree on this one...

4 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

Nobody said Tannehill didn't have a good year. That's irrelevant. 

Eh, it seems like you're trying to minimize it.

8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Their stats are actually pretty damn close in the playoffs and that's with Favre's 6 pick game......Favre had a slightly better W/L record and a much better TD%.  Higher INT% too though. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00/gamelog/post/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

Win/loss is not a statistic.  Although I can tell you Favre was responsible for more of the playoff losses than Manning was.  I will never forget the INTs at Philly and at NO.  And this was in years 13 and 19 of his career.  Just throws that shouldn't be made by a player of any tenure, let alone one who'd played in as many games as he did.

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

You're referencing one specific season as proof?  How about Favre's INT at Philly?  Or at NO?  Both literally costing his team.  He was not good in the Denver Super Bowl.  The guy was a turnover machine and you never knew when he'd just randomly throw a ball into triple coverage for no obvious reason, did not play a smart brand of football and was loved and overrated because of the streak and the way he played.  Game on the line?  I can think of so many QBs I'd rather have than him it's not even funny.

I suspect you and I are not going to agree on this one...

He wasn't good in the Denver SB? Explain that one. Was he supposed to stop TD or something? Not sure which Philly game your talking about. Im assuming youre talking about the NFC Championship vs NO his last year and he didn't cost his team that game at all. Try his WRs losing multiple fumbles that lost that one. 

Yes he was a gunslinger and he relied on his gut and grit to win more than playing smart football. That doesn't negate how good he was. He was the absolute dominant QB in his prime with no rival. 

7 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Win/loss is not a statistic.  Although I can tell you Favre was responsible for more of the playoff losses than Manning was.  I will never forget the INTs at Philly and at NO.  And this was in years 13 and 19 of his career.  Just throws that shouldn't be made by a player of any tenure, let alone one who'd played in as many games as he did.

Neither of these are true. Manning imploded every year in the playoffs. It wasn't until his HBs and defense were able to step up and win despite him that he had playoff success.

Just now, GOAT9 said:

Neither of these are true. Manning imploded every year in the playoffs. It wasn't until his HBs and defense were able to step up and win despite him that he had playoff success.

Every year?  I bet to differ...

3 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

He wasn't good in the Denver SB? Explain that one. Was he supposed to stop TD or something? Not sure which Philly game your talking about. Im assuming youre talking about the NFC Championship vs NO his last year and he didn't cost his team that game at all. Try his WRs losing multiple fumbles that lost that one. 

Yes he was a gunslinger and he relied on his gut and grit to win more than playing smart football. That doesn't negate how good he was. He was the absolute dominant QB in his prime with no rival. 

2003 Philly game.  Go watch the highlights when he threw it to basically no one in OT for the easy INT.  Rookie mistake.  And he threw the ball across his body when all he had to do is run or throw it away as they were near FG range to win the game.

Again, we’re not going to agree on this.  Particularly when you make asinine comments like he was the absolute dominant QB in his prime with no rival.

In the playoffs, I think W/L has value.  No question Favre was a risk taker and it burned him badly at times.  On the flip side, he also won them some big games plenty with unbelievable play. 

Manning certainly was smarter with the ball but he caused a lot of his team's losses too.  He was way too pass happy.  BB owned him early on until Polian got the rules changed.  He also played a secondary role in the two SB wins he had....

Both were all-time greats.

Just now, scine09 said:

Every year?  I bet to differ...

Vast majority of them. what like 2 or 3 years where the defense lost it for him. 7-8 were he just played like shit.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

In the playoffs, I think W/L has value.  No question Favre was a risk taker and it burned him badly at times.  On the flip side, he also won them some big games plenty with unbelievable play. 

Manning certainly was smarter with the ball but he caused a lot of his team's losses too.  He was way too pass happy.  BB owned him early on until Polian got the rules changed.  He also played a secondary role in the two SB wins he had....

Both were all-time greats.

Exactly. Someone gets it.