Jonboy

AFC Championship Week: Titans @ Chiefs

27 minutes ago, Boilertiger said:

What happened versus the Texans was WILD to watch from a play calling perspective particularly in the second half. 

Andy Reid truly has been playing it close to the vest. As mentioned above, part of it was because Mahomes was injured. Part of it was because the offensive line protections weren't working well enough to allow long developing plays to work. There was a feeling amongst Chiefs media that he was holding a lot back and some even felt that there was fairly significant offensive installation coming for the playoffs. As the season progressed, the defense was playing well enough that it allowed him hold back. 

In the second half of the Texans game Andy Reid went NUCLEAR and was dropping all kinds of stuff that wasn't put on tape. As a football junky and a Chiefs fan it was as excited as I have been to watch the Chiefs play because I knew then just how hard it was going to be to prepare for this team. What was interesting to me was Reid dropped a lot of it later in the game instead of actually keeping it under wraps. I think that may have been strategic and he wanted it on tape NOW for the Titans to see for a reason. 

The stuff you should look for:

-Tyreek Hill in the running game. Didn't happen before the Texans game. 

-Hardman, Hill and Watkins on the same side of the field running nines (three guys with 4.2/4.3 speed)

-Watkins significantly more involved in the passing game with Hill being used as a decoy (typically it's been the other way around)

-Tyreek Hill wheel route (scored two TD's for us earlier this year) inversion 

There's a bunch of stuff that most folks couldn't pick up but there is a reason the Texans literally looked completely clueless on defense when the Chiefs made the historic 51-7 run. Part of it was their defense is pretty trash with no pass rush but that wasn't the whole story. 

All this being said, I think this game will be very close because of how well the Texans are playing right now. Vrabel is an excellent game planner so the Chiefs aren't going to score 50 but I wouldn't be shocked by 40. It might take 40 for the Chiefs to win though. The Chiefs run defense is going to be in deep deep crap because I don't think there is a chance that Chris Jones plays. 

There might be something to this but not a ton. Andy Reid and his offense/concepts have been around for a very long time. He might add some wrinkles but for the most part, there's already tons of film on what he wants to do. Let's not pretend people are just looking at his stuff this year w/ the Chiefs. You can go all the way back to his years in Philly w/ McNabb and see him doing a lot of the same things.

5 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

That would be huge. He killed us in the first matchup.

I dont think he played that game. Jones is not used much in running situations. Kind of a one trick pony. Likes to pressure the QB not that good against the run. I hope he plays and each team is 100%. 

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

The Titans best chance to win IMO is to play their way - tough, physical, fundamentally sound.  No mental errors and minimal penalties.  Win on 3rd down, especially in the red zone.  Win the explosive plays.  Win or at least be even in TO margin. 

Make it a street fight. 

Yes.  If we can do it.  This is the first really good passing QB we have faced.  Mahomes isn't old Tom or learning Larmar.  The Chiefs can light up a score board.  We have to hope Pees figures out how to stall them in the RZ, make then kick some FGs.  Then we take our time marching down the field to get TDs.  If we can keep it close in the first  half, we have close to an unstoppable second half offense.  If we do have to put up points, nobody has even seen us open it up in the playoffs.  The PA will be there because we have shown we will run Henry over and over.  

Still, not confident.  KC has been there and Mahomes plays like a ten year veteran.  Jackson got all rattled, frustrated and out right mad.  Mahomes won't.  NE shut him down last year, but he never cracked.  He just needed more time to come back.  If I knew how we could stop Kelce, I would have more confidence.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I dont think he played that game. Jones is not used much in running situations. Kind of a one trick pony. Likes to pressure the QB not that good against the run. I hope he plays and each team is 100%. 

He played and had 2 sacks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401127981

1 minute ago, reo said:

There might be something to this but not a ton. Andy Reid and his offense/concepts have been around for a very long time. He might add some wrinkles but for the most part, there's already tons of film on what he wants to do. Let's not pretend people are just looking at his stuff this year w/ the Chiefs. You can go all the way back to his years in Philly w/ McNabb and see him doing a lot of the same things.

Hmmm.......RPO & The New Offense is something KC actually was working on while Mahomes sat his first year. Andy will have a few new wrinkles Sunday. Vrabel will also have something. Great Coaches do this. Loved the Henry TS pass.

15 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Hmmm.......RPO & The New Offense is something KC actually was working on while Mahomes sat his first year. Andy will have a few new wrinkles Sunday. Vrabel will also have something. Great Coaches do this. Loved the Henry TS pass.

RPO isn't new. Reid's offensive concepts aren't new. It'll come down to situational football and how well Pees has scouted their tendancies that'll matter. And then it'll come down to winning their match ups when/if their coaches put them in good situations.

wrinkles are nice. you can use them for a play here or there but the games as a whole aren't won w/ wrinkles. Titans didn't drive the field on the Texans w/ a new wrinkle. They just used 1 to get the last play into the endzone.

Edited by reo

3 minutes ago, reo said:

RPO isn't new. Reid's offensive concepts aren't new. It'll come down to situational football and how well Pees has scouted their tenancies that'll matter. And then it'll come down to winning their match ups when/if their coaches put them in good situations.

wrinkles are nice. you can use them for a play here or there but the games as a whole aren't won w/ wrinkles. Titans didn't drive the field on the Texans w/ a new wrinkle. They just used 1 to get the last play into the endzone.

We agree to disagree. I am sure you know your team way better than I do. Thats why I am here. I know KC inside and out. Reiud has never had the personell or a QB with this much talent and speed. This is not the Philly Concept in RED.

Chiefs board is funny "Stop DH and once Tanny has to play it's game over", "Patriots and Ravens didn't have the players to stop the run, we do", "Titans D has no one that can stop our downfield attack"

It's hilarious how every fan just copies and pasted the exact same shit from the previous weeks losers message board

Chiefs are damn good but the arrogance of their fans are very out of line with results

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

Chiefs board is funny "Stop DH and once Tanny has to play it's game over", "Patriots and Ravens didn't have the players to stop the run, we do", "Titans D has no one that can stop our downfield attack"

It's hilarious how every fan just copies and pasted the exact same shit from the previous weeks losers message board

Chiefs are damn good but the arrogance of their fans are very out of line with results

Not me. Henry will get his and Tannehill already beat KC. Chiefs need to score & score often. Henry will get 150+. Maybe 200+ if Tenn is in the lead.

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Reid has never had the personell or a QB with this much talent and speed. 

ummm... did you watch McNabb in the early 2000s??

Just now, reo said:

ummm... did you watch McNabb in the early 2000s??

You win. Its the same old same old. Nothing new here. Should be easy to stop then.