AFC Championship Week: Titans @ Chiefs

Jonboy

1 minute ago, nine said:

A couple points that nobody’s really talking about:

The Titans have controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball in recent weeks.   It’s very difficult to beat a team that controls the LOS.

Titans punter Brett Kern is a huge ace in the hole.  He is quietly having the most incredible season I’ve ever seen from a punter and had been a huge part of the Titans’ success this year,  Week after week, Kern has shown incredible control and consistency,  repeatedly pinning opponents inside their own 20 (or 10) and forcing them to drive 85-90 yards (or more) on virtually every single drive.  

Here’s how dominant Kern has been:  Last week’s game was one of his worst performances of the season, as three punts rolled into the endzone for touchbacks.  (For comparison, Kern had only two touchbacks total in the regular season).  And despite Kern having one of his worst performances, the Ravens didn’t start a single drive from outside their own 25-yard line.

The Chiefs offense is obviously capable of pulling off a 80-90 yard drive.   Hell, they might even do it twice in one game.  But when they’re forced to drive the length of the field every time they get the ball....that’s a tall order.  

The league’s #1 and #7 scoring offenses tried...and  mustered only a single touchdown apiece.  

It might’ve been lost in the shuffle here but it was discussed by some of us. One of the reasons I feel good about the Titans chances honestly

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By the way, I just want to mention how good it feels to get to experience this with the most hardcore and loyal Titans fans out there that make up this place. We've been through thick and thin here. W

Feels good, man.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

It might’ve been lost in the shuffle here but it was discussed by some of us. One of the reasons I feel good about the Titans chances honestly

The OL is on a ridiculous tear then past 2 months. Henry has been great no question, but hes running through some huge holes especially on the left side. 

Just now, oldschool said:

The OL is on a ridiculous tear then past 2 months. Henry has been great no question, but hes running through some huge holes especially on the left side. 

What’s the Titans proved they could throw the ball again after Tannehill came in the whole unit was able to play their strengths.  Considering the investment in the OL, it’s refreshing to see them be one of the best...

4 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

First I’ve heard of Jones having a “really good” day. 

He can't be close to 100%..... and he's not a particularly strong run defender. Lets just hope we aren't in a ton of very obvious passing situations. 

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

You wanna talk About scheduling look who the Chiefs have played since the Titans. A bunch of scrub QBs and the easiest schedule in the NFL. Yet during that time the Chiefs still had the worst run defense in the league. 

Sure.  Scrub teams.  Okay.  It really is interesting how the Titans only beat one playoff team (Chiefs) before the playoffs.  Now, we are supposed to completely discount the regular season and only look at the last two games.  Chiefs beat those same teams.  And, the games weren't close.  The Chiefs had comfortable leads in each.  

Meanwhile the Chiefs just held Hyde to 44 yards after spotting them a 24 point lead, and that just doesn't matter.  Hyde ran for 104 yards on the Titans when the Texans weren't resting their starters.

Hey.  We are about five hours away from getting answers.  Just don't be surprised if your 'analysis' proves to be flawed.  Heck, maybe mine will be flawed.  That's why they play the games.

10 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

First I’ve heard of Jones having a “really good” day. 

As a Chiefs' fan, I hope he does not play.  I think he is a great pass rusher.  I also think that if he goes today, it could further injure him.  I also think that this is a game that the Chiefs have to man up.  Play the run first.  And, if Jones isn't 100%, then he can't do that.  The Titans offensive line is great.  And, Jones is a smaller guy as far as DT goes.  His game is based on speed and moves.  Two things he won't have if he isn't healthy.  I would rather see them make sure all the fatties are in and rotate them frequently.  

2 minutes ago, RBinVA said:

If the same Titans team that beat the Patriots and Ravens shows up, the Chiefs are in trouble.

Titans are a good team.  But the Ravens wet themselves in the middle of the field.  Lamar Jackson is an over rated QB that is great when the game is going his way.  He lost to the Browns for crying out loud largely the same way he lost to the Titans.  The game started going poorly and he panicked.  Until he learns to actually pass the ball outside the numbers, he won't be anything other than a regular season highlight machine. 

And, the Pats are done.  

The Titans have to play better than they did.  The Ravens had open WR's, LJ just couldn't hit them.  

If minimizing those two wins makes you feel better go ahead.  The Titans have looked like the best team in football these past two weeks to me.

A team that won't give you any short fields and will drain you of any momentum that you manage to get with long soul crushing run-heavy drives.  A team that doesn't make many mistakes and makes you pay for each one your team makes.

If that team shows up again today, then the Chiefs are toast.

I've never seen anything like it.

I'm hoping it's not a mirage or two-game aberration.

It's not something we're used to here in Titans-land.

Edited by RBinVA
typo

• Jonboy unpinned this topic