AFC Championship Week: Titans @ Chiefs

Jonboy

25 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

you act like teams run all kinds of unique route combinations when most of the plays are standard across the league. 

Was not the point but I'm tired of trying to convey it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By the way, I just want to mention how good it feels to get to experience this with the most hardcore and loyal Titans fans out there that make up this place. We've been through thick and thin here. W

Feels good, man.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Boilertiger said:

The offense is quite a bit different than what was done in Philadelphia. Much more vertical. He's plugged in the RPO stuff. It's just a much different thing. There are some staples that remain and what is similar is the process which goes all the way back to Bill Walsh. 

The point here is that Reid put a bunch of new stuff on tape last week that there is not already a gameplan/blue print to stopping. Vrabel is going to need to figure that out on the fly this week instead of being able to take stuff that worked for other teams. 

Every innovation has a shelf life because teams figure it out. When you plug something in as a coach it will only work until the opponent figures it out. That was the whole point of waiting till the last possible moment to introduce a bunch of new stuff this year. 

A lot of these comments are either not true, overblown or vague to the point of not really being relevant.

But i'm tired of trying to get my point across so whatever. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Boilertiger said:

What happened versus the Texans was WILD to watch from a play calling perspective particularly in the second half. 

Andy Reid truly has been playing it close to the vest. As mentioned above, part of it was because Mahomes was injured. Part of it was because the offensive line protections weren't working well enough to allow long developing plays to work. There was a feeling amongst Chiefs media that he was holding a lot back and some even felt that there was fairly significant offensive installation coming for the playoffs. As the season progressed, the defense was playing well enough that it allowed him hold back. 

In the second half of the Texans game Andy Reid went NUCLEAR and was dropping all kinds of stuff that wasn't put on tape. As a football junky and a Chiefs fan it was as excited as I have been to watch the Chiefs play because I knew then just how hard it was going to be to prepare for this team. What was interesting to me was Reid dropped a lot of it later in the game instead of actually keeping it under wraps. I think that may have been strategic and he wanted it on tape NOW for the Titans to see for a reason. 

The stuff you should look for:

-Tyreek Hill in the running game. Didn't happen before the Texans game. 

-Hardman, Hill and Watkins on the same side of the field running nines (three guys with 4.2/4.3 speed)

-Watkins significantly more involved in the passing game with Hill being used as a decoy (typically it's been the other way around)

-Tyreek Hill wheel route (scored two TD's for us earlier this year) inversion 

There's a bunch of stuff that most folks couldn't pick up but there is a reason the Texans literally looked completely clueless on defense when the Chiefs made the historic 51-7 run. Part of it was their defense is pretty trash with no pass rush but that wasn't the whole story. 

All this being said, I think this game will be very close because of how well the Texans are playing right now. Vrabel is an excellent game planner so the Chiefs aren't going to score 50 but I wouldn't be shocked by 40. It might take 40 for the Chiefs to win though. The Chiefs run defense is going to be in deep deep crap because I don't think there is a chance that Chris Jones plays. 

I remember them using HIll as a runner in the game we played in KC in 2016.  Was early in the game and he broke off a long run.  Have they not used that much since?

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I dont think he played that game. Jones is not used much in running situations. Kind of a one trick pony. Likes to pressure the QB not that good against the run. I hope he plays and each team is 100%. 

He did and he caused that phantom Tannehill fumble early on.

9 minutes ago, japan said:

He did and he caused that phantom Tannehill fumble early on.

This guy doesnt even know his player played and had 2 sacks and forced fumble and was one of the reasons why our offense struggled. Losing Jones is huge weather chiefs fan want to admit it or not. I bet they put up 51 points but they should be fucking terrified this oline and run game with Henry. Henry might have 230 rushing yards. 

20 minutes ago, japan said:

I remember them using HIll as a runner in the game we played in KC in 2016.  Was early in the game and he broke off a long run.  Have they not used that much since?

8 rushes for 23 yards this year and Hardeman and Watkins have a few carries too.  Certainly not a lot of that but why when you pass like they do I guess.

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

8 rushes for 23 yards this year and Hardeman and Watkins have a few carries too.  Certainly not a lot of that but why when you pass like they do I guess.

Was the rush vs us in 2016 an end around though? I don’t really remember how the okay began but I do remember Hill slicing through the middle of the field for an easy TD.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Ill take KC. Not because the defense is better but because the KC offense is better. 

I get why you take KC, first off.

What you are saying is that the KC defense can stop the TEN offense more than the TEN defense can stop the KC offense.

Fast / slow doesn't matter.  Style doesn't matter.  Both teams will more or less get the same number of drives.  Turning those drives to points is really all that matters.

If KC wins I can see TEN playing faster and coming back.  But if TEN gets ahead, I don't see them imploding like HOU.

To me it's a toss up.  I know which outcome I want, I expect the margin of victory to be > 1TD, but it seems 50/50 as to who will come out on top.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic