The greatest drummer in the world has died (R.I.P. Neil Peart 1952-2020)

Oiler FANatic

On 1/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, MIKE75 said:

Rush in 1978 on the Hemispheres tour

Led Zeppelin in 1975 on Physical Graffiti tour

Van Halen in 1978 first tour 

Ozzy Osbourne in 1981 last tour with Randy Rhoads

AC/DC in 1979  last tour with Bon Scott

KISS in 1977 on Love Gun tour

Good choices! Saw Rush on the Moving Pictures tour, played a lot of hemispheres. was great! Had zep tickets for the last tour but Bonham drank himself to death b4 our show. Sabbath with Dio would have been awesome also.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone see his rock and roll hall of fame speech? He gets up there and goes "Blah blah blah blah" for about 5 mins straight 

Nah, dude...he SUCKS.  There's a reason he's a punchline/punching bag.  He blows ass.  He's a fucking joke.   You're otherwise semi-reasonable.   TBH, I don't even understand why t

I'd go Bonham, Peart, Moon

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, MIKE75 said:

If i had a time machine i'd go see.....

Rush in 1978 on the Hemispheres tour

I'd literally kill to see any of their shows from the 70's. The first one I saw was in 1983 during the Signals tour.

These "best of drummers" list, what, were they flash frozen in the late '70s/early '80s?!  Bonham and Baker are the only ones being discussed that are worth a shit.

HELLO?!  Dave Lombardo?!

HELLO?!  Commando Pete Sandoval?!

HELLO?!  Tomas Haake?!

HELLO?!  George Kollias?!

And where the fuck is Terry Bozzio in the reckoning?!  Chad Wackerman?!

If you could play for Frank Zappa you're 10000x better than that hack from Rush.  RUSH SUCKS.  Rush aren't even good if you're restricting shit to Canada.  Fucking Triumph are better than Rush.

Rush were about as interesting as George Thorogood or Men at Work.

13 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

I have never heard anyone mention Ringo when it comes to Tier 1 drummers. 

Then your experiences are limited.

Almost all musicians, sound engineers, and music producers consider Ringo to be an outstanding drummer/percussionist, with many of them also stating that they think he's the best.

As an example, he was the first ever Rock and Roll drummer inducted into the Percussive Arts Society Hall of Fame, which had previosuly been entirely composed of philharmonic and jazz drummers.

https://www.pas.org/about/hall-of-fame/ringo-starr

Edited by Denali

30 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

The Beatles weren't a heavy metal band. I suspect he got mentioned because of their popularity. Notice he didn't make it out of the first round. Name an intricate song he played on. Why isn't Gene Krupa on the list? It's all subjective.

When it comes to creating great music, it's not about intricacy.  It's all about the sound and feel.  Who cares if someone can bang the hell out of a drum kit if it sounds like crap?  Ringo has plenty of chops that he uses when it makes sense.  But he treats the drums like an instrument, and his drum parts have melody.  He's on another level.

Just listen:

Edited by Denali

15 hours ago, Denali said:

When it comes to creating great music, it's not about intricacy.  It's all about the sound and feel.  Who cares if someone can bang the hell out of a drum kit if it sounds like crap?  Ringo has plenty of chops that he uses when it makes sense.  But he treats the drums like an instrument, and his drum parts have melody.  He's on another level.

Just listen:

Nah, dude...he SUCKS.  There's a reason he's a punchline/punching bag.  He blows ass.  He's a fucking joke.

You're otherwise semi-reasonable.

TBH, I don't even understand why this is still an active thread.  I COMPLETELY DESTROYED you muppets.  Even Godzilla sent me a PM to ack.

HO-LEE FEKKING SHITE, not ONE of the Beat-less was actually good at their instrument.  THEY"RE THE FIRST BOY BAND.

IF they learned to play a little it was a convenient coincidence.

Beatles and Stones SUCK.  Nothing will change that.

Laugh all you like,  you know I'm right.  RUSH SUCKS.  Don't care what their idiot defenders say.  I have ears and a brain, I KNOW they SUCK.

Beatles and Stones suck, too.  "Well my brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones./We never got it off on that Revolution Road/What a Drag/Too Many Snags.."

23 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

Laugh all you like,  you know I'm right.  RUSH SUCKS.  Don't care what their idiot defenders say.  I have ears and a brain, I KNOW they SUCK.

Beatles and Stones suck, too.  "Well my brother's back at home with his Beatles and his Stones./We never got it off on that Revolution Road/What a Drag/Too Many Snags.."

Well then, Mr. young dude.  You're just a drag queen rebel at heart.

Edited by Denali