A Former Player's Attack on Mike Mularkey's Coaching Tactics

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's saying what we already know about the Jags, they are pussies. 

Former Jaguars OLineman Uche Nwaneri has a fairly active reddit account and posted this about the balance of respect b/t new coaches and players. Mularkey is talked about at length. Obviously not craz

The main problem corrected with the Titans was done at half time against the Broncos this season.    Vrabel was being bashed and the results were 2-4 with a pitiful offense.    Now

10 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

You're glad they had the wherewithal to fire him after winning through an entire season and a playoff game with the bum ass QB that ppl praise Vrabel for benching 6 games in?

No AJ Brown. Suspect OL. Worse pass rush than we have now. Adoree, Jayon and Davis were all rookies. JR gave him misses like Dodd and Austin Johnson. 

And let's not forget that everyone's favorite player on D, Byard, had by far his best season under Mularkey. 

Bet you had no problem cheering for them under Mularkey though. 

It's amazing how much disrespect former players and coaches get around here. 

You'd think this franchise is known for winning or being great or something special. Nope. 

Best season under Dick. Mularkey isnt shit in regards to Byard.

13 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Bet you had no problem cheering for them under Mularkey though. 

Towards the end of the season I was incredibly apathetic as I thought a playoff birth would mean we would retain Mularkey. I was obviously happy we made the playoffs, but I would have been equally as happy missing them as I thought Mularkey hurt our long term chances. Luckily, we ended up with the best of both worlds. 

As for Mularkey being a good coach, I think that you definitely have a unique take there. I'm not discrediting you, but he has failed in three separate head coaching jobs and was deemed to be so detrimental towards our potential that he was fired after a playoff victory. And you saying that we have new players now that Mularkey didn't have is somewhat odd; obviously there is roster turnover; Mularkey had some players Vrabel doesn't and others (Casey and Byard, like you said) were better). 

You're definitely entitled to your opinion though. 

Mularkey obviously got better results in Tennessee than he did in Jacksonville;  maybe he learned something from past mistakes.

I never got the impression that the players disliked him, and he obviously played a critical role in the team’s return to respectability.  

But I did find it rather odd that very few players had much to say when their coach was fired after a playoff run .    They didn’t seem to have strong feelings one way or the other.

Instead of expressing support or disappointment with his firing, the players were largely silent and very blasé about the whole thing.  Their sentiments were essentially , “I guess we’’ll have a different  coach next year. Whatever.” 

6 minutes ago, nine said:

Mularkey obviously got better results in Tennessee than he did in Jacksonville;  maybe he learned something from past mistakes.

But I did find it rather odd that very few players had much to say when their coach was fired after a playoff run .

There is nothing odd about getting better results after leaving Gabbert and the Jags. He was coaching a much better team. Was it odd that Vrabel went from 2-4 to 8-3?

10 minutes ago, patsplat said:

A thick headed coach about simple things will also make mistakes on bigger things.  Mularkey would not have made the QB switch successfully.

He wouldn't have made it at all. Didn't he cry when talking about a Mariota performance? He was a terrible coach