Star wars Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

oldschool

Just saw it. Cant blame Rian Johnson anymore for the demise of Star Wars. It's almost as bad as the last jedi which I didnt think would be possible. Disney needs to stop making Star Wars movies and reset the creative direction of the franchise. They have destroyed it with the past two movies.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was the worry. TFA was an empty ANH clone. And that was apparently the best Disney could do. Maybe Rian Johnson fucked things up to the point where it couldn't legitimately be brought back, no ma

Nah.   This was significantly better in nearly every aspect and that's despite trying to wipe Rian's ass after the whopper turd that Last Jedi was. Still imperfect but absolutely adequate. I

Instead of blaming one person here, I think you have to blame the process. Changing directors midstream was a terrible idea and they should not have brought JJ in if he wasn't going to commit to all t

Posted Images

This was the worry. TFA was an empty ANH clone. And that was apparently the best Disney could do. Maybe Rian Johnson fucked things up to the point where it couldn't legitimately be brought back, no matter how hard they may have tried, but JJ Abrams has been living off a reputation for a while now that he doesn't seem worthy of ajy longer.

I haven't seen the film yet and judging by people's rants about it make me wonder if I should even bother, but Abrams has a real problem producing satisfying conclusions to his stories. Alias started out a pretty decent spy story with great eye candy for the first couple seasons but turned into a convoluted mess that took its own mythos way too seriously by making the Rambaldi shit far more important than it ever should have been. Lost was a network television triumph that crashed harder in the end than the plane in the pilot episode.

What needs to happen, if it hasn't already happened in secret, is that Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired and someone else put in charge of LucasFilm. That would be a great place to start. And honestly, I hope they one day de-canonize this sequel trilogy. They have the perfect vehicle by which to do it too, depending on what direction the Mandalorian goes. The next person in charge of LucasFilm could easily course-correct and wipe these films out with that show.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

ROS tried to correct the Last Jedi's bullshit. Which is a huge job. Some good plot twists, but the end movie action of the last six movies just doesn't hold up to New Hope, Empire, or Return. As Oldschool said, Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie made since Return...

Instead of blaming one person here, I think you have to blame the process. Changing directors midstream was a terrible idea and they should not have brought JJ in if he wasn't going to commit to all three films. They should have had a plan for all of these things, and decided which themes were important and which threads were going to be strong. Having the 2nd and then the 3rd films undoing shit from the previous rather than building upon is a colossal fuck up not even the prequel achieved. And this was so noticable. There were so many things about this third film that could have been epic but just were underdeveloped or made uninteresting.

How does a showdown on the ruins of the deathstar on endor feel anti-climatic? 

How do you make a character played by Keri fucking Russell lame and generic?

How do you have Luke's force ghost and write it as an extension of Marc Hamil's twitter?

I don't think the movie was outright ass or terrible, but it's an unforgivable lack of execution given the resources that went into it. 

You need to commit to a vision and execute it. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo were expertly cast and could have carried three films. Instead a clusterfuck of vision and overreaction to fan service ruined it. 

It was OK. Not terrible but not a good ending to the saga. They tried to do too much all at once, probably because Rian Johnson fucked up the middle of the trilogy too much for them to be able to have a satisfying ending.

Also, I hated the ridiculous new force power that lets Rey and Ben physically teleport objects from one location to another. I mean, how the fuck is that supposed to work? It’s one thing for them to be in psychic contact across large distances like the last movie, it’s another entirely for him to be able to take a physical object from her from light years away (or closer).

On 12/21/2019 at 9:30 PM, Starkiller said:

It was OK. Not terrible but not a good ending to the saga. They tried to do too much all at once, probably because Rian Johnson fucked up the middle of the trilogy too much for them to be able to have a satisfying ending.

Also, I hated the ridiculous new force power that lets Rey and Ben physically teleport objects from one location to another. I mean, how the fuck is that supposed to work? It’s one thing for them to be in psychic contact across large distances like the last movie, it’s another entirely for him to be able to take a physical object from her from light years away (or closer).

That part actually bothered me, and I'm the ultimate SWU apologist.....  But it was set up by Luke's dropping off Han's dice thingie to Leia when he force transported himself to the crystal fox cave.

Otherwise, come on, it's Star Wars!  They're not good "movies".  The story is not particularly well thought out but they're still GREAT!  So much fun to watch.  I threatened my kid as we were leaving the theater that I'd have no negativity.  None.  Everyone needs to lighten up and just enjoy it for what it is.

And who here predicted who Rey was?  None of you.  That was awesome!

Seriously, I could easily nit-pick them all.  Pick one and I'll knock holes in it.  But we still watch and discuss.  Some of us just like to be hateful bastards.

6 minutes ago, MadMax said:

That part actually bothered me, and I'm the ultimate SWU apologist.....  But it was set up by Luke's dropping off Han's dice thingie to Leia when he force transported himself to the crystal fox cave.

But the dice vanished just like Luke did. They weren’t really there either.

Otherwise, come on, it's Star Wars!  They're not good "movies".  The story is not particularly well thought out but they're still GREAT!  So much fun to watch.  I threatened my kid as we were leaving the theater that I'd have no negativity.  None.  Everyone needs to lighten up and just enjoy it for what it is.

I have no problem enjoying it for what it is. I was entertained. But I can’t just turn off my analytical side.

And who here predicted who Rey was?  None of you.  That was awesome!

I think a lot of people though Rey could be a descendent of the Emperor after Force Awakens. But it was kind of left for dead after Last Jedi.

You can see what happened.

JJ Abrams set up a lot of things in TFA. Then Johnson decided to throw it all out the window and do his own thing. Subversion for the sake of subversion.

Expecting an emotional moment between Rey and Luke? He tosses the lightsaber and walks away.

Expecting a big reveal for Snoke w/ everyone wondering his back story? Kill him off quickly and easily.

Everyone waiting on the big reveal as to who Rey's parent's are?? No one. They mean nothing.

Big 3 coming back for the trilogy?? Kill of Luke and Han before they can meet.

Subversion is fine but not to an extreme. Fans go to a movie like this expecting to see certain things.

Then Abrams comes back in and makes 2 movies in 1 to try and fix everything Johnson did... it would've been a shit ton like the original trilogy but I'd have been fine w/ that for the most part if it was done well. This wasn't.

Too many obviously contrived plot devices. The entire first half of the movie just feels clunky.

I'm fine w/ what they did w/ Rey. I thought she had a pretty good arch. I'm ok w/ Kylo's arch and redemption even though I think he'd have been a more interesting character if he had survived and had to deal w/ everything he'd done.

The Kylo/Rey romance thing never really felt right, probably b/c a lot of people thought they were related for so long. I'm fine w/ them having a deep connection but I think the romance thing was too much and they took that connection too far imo.

The Luke force ghost actually being able to impact the physical world was a bit much for me.. but it's the force. They can kind of do what they want w/ it.

I think Abrams planned to have Luke training Rey at the beginning of this movie then Leia die by doing the force projection thing to Kylo in the end to turn him back.. but then Johnson used that to kill off Luke which made it difficult to do it again w/ Leia especially w/ Fisher's death so they used Han instead which.. kind of worked.

I do think Rey's dilemma in the end was well done even though I think they over did Palpatine's power when he attacked an entire fleet. I think it would've been better if they had left him weakened and prop'd up the Knights of Ren as a bigger bad and sort of Palpatine's champions vs Rey and Kylo... even though they was probably difficult w/ only 1 movie. Then it sets up Rey to have to purge her anger to kill him but they'd have to make that more obvious.

I kinda wanted to see an Anakin force ghost talking to Kylo at some point due to how much he seemed to idolize his grampa.

Too many side characters too. Don't give a shit about Po, Fin, C3PO or even Chewy. And wtf w/ bringing in yet another droid?? I don't even remember the female counterpart to Fin's name. Who gives a shit? But they're probably trying to build spin offs.

All 'n all... I thought the ideas were fine but the 1st half of the movie was clunky and poorly written, mostly b/c they spent it trying to set up the 2nd half of the movie and trying to fix Johnson's stuff. Palpatine should've taken an entire movie to reveal, not 5mins. I'd have liked to have seen Abram's vision even if it probably would've mostly been a remake of the original trilogy.

Edited by reo