Devil's Advocate View on Paying Tannehill

Jonboy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're not factoring in what he's being asked to do in our offense and the fact that his mistakes are covered up with a superbowl roster, a great running game, and a championship caliber defense. 

It doesn't matter, he's getting a long term deal and there isn't any other option. He's also getting a very big contract.   The Titans struck gold, you pay him, period.    If it bl

Of course there is a risk associated with judging Tannehill's last 7 games versus his first five years. He could be on the greatest roll of all times. That said, none of this has been fluke production

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, PhinFan1968 said:

Why wouldn't you sign a QB to a franchise deal, if he gives you "the means to compete in every single game?"  Why would it be foolish to make a long-term bet on that?

This is the NFL in the age of social media.  Everyone thinks they are right or has some sort inside info.

Is Tannehill Brees or Keenum?  We will find out.

The only potential story I give a shit about right now is the one where Tannehill gets to play another game in Miami this year.

Of course, it could all go to shit in 3 weeks or less.

Edited by Oilertattoo

If you look at Sando's rankings right now we're primarily asking Tannehill to be a Tier 3 QB and he's flourishing. He's only passed more than 30 times twice and one was a loss to Carolina.

I think the more you ask him to do a drop back passing offense the worse he's going to look. That said what are the alternatives? Older options like Brady or Rivers (pretty meh at this point) or a similar player in Dalton who is more of an unknown because at least Tannehill has had success here.

• A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.
  • A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.
  • A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.
  • A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

If you look at Sando's rankings right now we're primarily asking Tannehill to be a Tier 3 QB and he's flourishing. He's only passed more than 30 times twice and one was a loss to Carolina.

I think the more you ask him to do a drop back passing offense the worse he's going to look. That said what are the alternatives? Older options like Brady or Rivers (pretty meh at this point) or a similar player in Dalton who is more of an unknown because at least Tannehill has had success here.

Based on those descriptions, I'd say he's Tier 2...based on watching him over the years.  So I guess it would be natural he'd do very well in a Tier 3 situation.  Which is not to say he can't progress to Tier 1...others have, late in their career as a Tier 2.

A realistic view of Tannehill right now is he's a better Goff for us. Will he regress like Goff or maintain this level of play off play action?

You can win a lot of games this way. It's not a bad reason to pay a QB.

Edited by big2033

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Honestly I’d say he’s upper Tier 2 but he is producing at Tier 1 levels.  

Definitely has some Tier 1 traits...but a true Tier 1 QB is pretty rare IMO.  I'd say Rodgers, Wilson, Brees...and they were drafted years apart.  I DO however, believe if he spends enough time comfortably as a Tier 2, he can progress to Tier 1.  He's always learning/improving.

But take Wilson for example.  Great player and almost assuredly a HOF QB.  He’s far more effective throwing it 25-30 times a game with elite efficiency with an effective run game.  When Seattle is throwing it a ton, their passing offense isn’t nearly as efficient.

I actually think a good comp for Tannehill is Vikings Kirk Cousins but with more athleticism.  

5 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Tannehill isn't being asked to handle pure passing situations very much at all. I don't think he can be considered Tier 1 in a run heavy offense based off play action where he's averaging 27 attempts per game.

By that definition, Wilson isn’t Tier 1 either.

I know this.  The Titans were 2-4 with the 27th scoring offense with PT and are 6-1 with the 2nd highest scoring offense with Tannehill.  They absolutely are winning because of him.

Edited by BudAdams

1 minute ago, BudAdams said:

By that definition, Wilson isn’t Tier 1 either.

I know this.  The Titans were 2-4 with the 27th scoring offense with PT and are 6-1 with the 2nd highest scoring offense with Tannehill.  They absolutely are winning because of him.

Wilson has a long history of efficiency and handling the passing game in pass heavy situations. When Lynch was let go the Seahawks didn't have a run game for 1-2 seasons.

Wilson has carried the Seahawks numerous times.

9 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Tannehill isn't being asked to handle pure passing situations very much at all. I don't think he can be considered Tier 1 in a run heavy offense based off play action where he's averaging 27 attempts per game.

He's borderline tier 2 for me.  I haven't seen him enough (in TEN) to make a definitive judgement as well.

3 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Further, missing receivers (Davis, Humphries, Sharpe, Walker, etc) doesn't seem to be a big deal.  

This is a positive in Tannehill's favor (ie elevating talent around him).  He seems to spread the ball around as well to different recievers.