Underrated Changes During the Hot Streak

CreepingDeath

I made a passing comment about one of these in another thread, but have other thoughts to add to it.  Since the change at QB, there have been ripple effects throughout the team.  Many of my observations are from the Raiders game, but I believe are part of a pattern.

• Dion Lewis looks to be more effective.  To kill the clock vs the Raiders, his effort and will to get the first down and stay in bounds was impressive.  If Henry has to miss more time than usual, Lewis could be able to pick up enough slack to keep the offense humming.  Over the past 2 (maybe 3) games, he looks to be actually contributing to our offensive success.
  • Big plays - even if a big play doesn't go all the way, I don't cringe at the lost TD and assume we'll settle for a FG now.  I now expect the offense to work its way into the endzone once in the redzone.  
  • The OL isn't getting penalties as frequently.  A big part of this is Lewan making this his focus, but there's been a lack of OL holding penalties lately.

In a pessimistic outlook, there is a worry that this season is our best window.  We have some of our most important players up for contract renewal.  They could potentially leave in free agency.  Next year, teams will have a better book on our offense (QB + OC).  And how important is Henry to Tannehill's success?  

Either way, these last few weeks are going to be exciting.

It seems like we've scored more D/ST this year (3 in the streak) than usual.  Our defenses in the past were always good but never got many turnovers/big plays.  I don't mind if we've regressed a little on defense if we continue to make plays like this.

Lot's of improvement at qb, but as ElGuapo and I discussed at lunch, the offensive line has markedly improved also.. Pushing a defensive end behind the quarterback works well when the qb steps up in the pocket..and the run blocking is improved also  

16 minutes ago, Cornrow Wallace said:

yup. give Blasingame the ball if Henry has to sit and rest up for the Super Bowl run.

He's got good movement skills for a fb.  I mean he's not just some fat guy blocking.

Blase ran very well here at Vanderbilt.  He was an active ingredient in the run game beyond being a blocking back.  He would be better at both runs and YAC than the increasingly slow Lewis (although as mentioned above, Lewis has run somewhat better the last few games).

pro

15 minutes ago, TitanTez said:

He is s lot better but he missed a key block on the 91 yard bomb that neatly cost us that big play.

Totally disagree.   Watch the play.  Henry's carrying out the PA fake to the right;  the pass rush comes from the left and middle.... Jonnu Smith struggles to contain the DE while Saffold loses his footing and goes to his knees.