Thoughts on C Davis... is he Kevin Dyson 2.0 or is he held back by the system?

kyle021

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 49ers would know how to use him. Amirite?

Do you realize that a lot of those big plays by AJ were made because Davis was running a clear out and drawing a double team and then blocking downfield all the way to the EZ? They play different posi

I agree with much of what's been said, but I'll throw this in there:   from what I've seen watching the all-22 footage, Davis tends to be fairly inconsistent as a route-runner.      Sometime

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Actually the passing game is schemed on purpose to go to different players (spread the ball around).  We don't feed one guy repeatedly by design.  The scheme is working and efficient.  Last game we had little participation by Smith in the passing game.  Not because he is less talented this week or "disappeared".  More so because the scheme didn't include him.  Next week m ight be different.   

We run the same damn scheme every week.  Who gets the ball depends on what microscopic opening Tannehill can find in which to place the ball

Edited by abc2330

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'm talking about the scheme behind the specific play.  Not sure what damn thing you are talking about. 

I assume he was thinking game plan. Which is also stupid, just because we have a balanced run pass spread dosnt mean we are doing the sane thing every week. Sometimes we run mostly right others left sometimes all over. Some weeks we do PA on 50%+ of plays others under 20%. As Vanilla as the offense looks they do mix it up week 2 week.

1 minute ago, nine said:

I agree with much of what's been said, but I'll throw this in there:   from what I've seen watching the all-22 footage, Davis tends to be fairly inconsistent as a route-runner.   

Sometimes you'll see him make a nice, hard cut to create separation;  other times he'll round it off and just kinda curve instead of making cut....so there's no separation and he ends up 4-6 yards deeper than where he was supposed to make the cut.

I suspect this is why we often see Davis running the deep route while AJB takes the crosser on those "Yankee" concepts.   From what I've seen, AJB is the more reliable route-runner and consistently makes sharp, defined cuts.....which makes him the better choice for those crossing routes.    Davis is a big, fast guy who can beat single coverage deep...but with opponents almost always putting a safety over the top on Davis,  that underneath crosser is usually the QB's better option.

I like Davis overall....but he's gotta be more consistent with his route-running to earn more targets.

For a guy taken #5 overall, that's bad.  Again, he's a solid to good WR but you can get those on day 2.  Other teams do it all of the time.  Like Brown for instance.

15 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If he's Kevin Dyson then he's at least version 4 or 5. Dyson was Justin Gage with a couple of high profile plays. If he hadn't taken the MCM play back Titans fans would barely have remembered him other than being "that bum they took instead of Moss... what's his name?"

Corey Davis is every bit the receiver Dyson wishes he could have been. 

Ugh....goddamn this is just stupid.

17 minutes ago, nine said:

I agree with much of what's been said, but I'll throw this in there:   from what I've seen watching the all-22 footage, Davis tends to be fairly inconsistent as a route-runner.   

Sometimes you'll see him make a nice, hard cut to create separation;  other times he'll round it off and just kinda curve instead of making a hard cut.  This creates no separation....and when he starts the cut, he won't flatten out until he's a good 4-6 yards further down the field.

I suspect this is why we often see Davis running the deep route while AJB takes the crosser on those "Yankee" concepts.   From what I've seen, AJB is the more reliable route-runner and consistently makes sharp, defined cuts.....which makes him the better choice for those crossing routes.    Davis is a big, fast guy who can beat single coverage deep...but with opponents almost always putting a safety over the top on Davis,  that underneath crosser is usually the QB's better option.

I like Davis overall....but he's gotta be more consistent with his route-running to earn more targets.

That’s not worth whatever the 5th year option is.  They’d be better off (thinking long term here) trading him and picking his replacement this year.

If Davis has any short comings, it's not of his own creation. He's played with Mariota is entire NFL career, who is now our $20M back up. 

Right now the offense still primarily runs through Henry which will hurt his numbers. 

Put him in n offense that has a strong passing game and he'd blow up! 

I feel like people forget Davis produced 891 yards on 65 catches last year. With Mariotacus no less (why didn’t I think of that when he still showed promise?) 

So, 5th year option, probs not, but I’m not trading a guy who’s been in the same-ish system this long. Considering the high pick, even a first won’t recoup half the value. 

Brown, Humphries, Sharpe, Raymond and Hollister? I’m glad for the last two making the team late in the season, but right now, only two guys are under contract next year minus Davis.

I like Ruggs III and CeeDee Lamb in the draft (no chance at Jeudy) but I really don’t want to depend on the expectation of hitting on another rookie, deep as this draft appears at that position.  As well, it’s a weird year for top receivers in the NFL in general. There’s no guarantee in free agency, either. 

13 hours ago, Justafan said:

He would get more targets if he could consistently get open. 

No not really. Without arguing the merits of Davis they are throwing the ball a very low volume. 

The targets last week were 4, 4 ,3, 2, and 2 for the top 5 guys. The leading receiver had 45 yards

The week before that the tops were 5, 3 and 3. Tannehill missed him on a wide open walk in TD.

Greg Cosell and others have showed the last few years him being open all the time and not getting the ball. 

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

No not really. Without arguing the merits of Davis they are throwing the ball a very low volume. 

The targets last week were 4, 4 ,3, 2, and 2 for the top 5 guys. The leading receiver had 45 yards

The week before that the tops were 5, 3 and 3. Tannehill missed him on a wide open walk in TD.

Greg Cosell and others have showed the last few years him being open all the time and not getting the ball. 

I think nine is right to mention his inconsistent routes. I’ve noticed it as well. Almost makes me think he’s still a little hesitant on the ankle and hamstring. The guy gets open though. 

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

PHILADELPHIA — Corey Davis never got the chance to run a 40-yard dash for NFL teams, but if he had, the Western Michigan wide receiver is confident they would have liked what they saw. "(I'd run) a 4.4," Davis said Wednesday during a visit to Shriner's Hospital with other prospects at the NFL draft.Apr 26, 2017

So where did you get the 4.53 from?