FiveThirtyEight On Henry's Dominance

Jonboy

I saw a season stat during the last game that showed his yards per carry increase with each quarter. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was like 3.8 ypc in the 1st quarter, 4.2 in the 2nd, 4.8 in the 3rd and 5.6 in the 4th.

And check this stat out.....

in the first half 95 carries for 392 yards and a 4.0 ypc with a long run of 34 yards and 1 TD and 16 first downs  

in the second half 137 carries for 758 yards and a 5.5 ypc with a long run of 74 yards and 10 TDs and 36 first downs 

As he gets stronger, the defense gets weaker in the second half. 

Just an opinion from someone who has attended every home game but 2 for the last 20 years: I don't think most people can appreciate the real impact that Henry has on the game unless you see it live and in person for yourself. You can feel it and sense it and so does the other team especially in the second half. He just looks bigger in real life.

13 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

I saw a season stat during the last game that showed his yards per carry increase with each quarter. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was like 3.8 ypc in the 1st quarter, 4.2 in the 2nd, 4.8 in the 3rd and 5.6 in the 4th.

And check this stat out.....

95 carries for 392 yards and a 4.0 ypc with a long run of 34 yards and 1 TD and 16 first downs in the first half  

137 carries for 758 yards and a 5.5 ypc with a long run of 74 yards and 10 TDs and 36 first downs in the second half.

As he gets stronger, the defense gets weaker in the second half. 

And think about the offensive philosophy.  The battering ram wears down the defense and those 2 and 3 yard runs start going for 5 or 6 and then 11 and boom he takes one 50.

58 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

from pineapple tebow to orange tebow

Man, reading the comparison in the article combined with comments over at FO does throw a wet blanket on our excitement (relief?) at QB.  

But Tannehill, especially by today’s standards, is barely even passing. He’s averaging fewer than 20 heaves in these games and has not topped 22 in any of them. The last team to throw 22 passes or fewer in three straight wins was Tim Tebow’s 2011 Broncos (who won five straight).

Here are a few quotes from the Footballoutsiders crew:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/audibles/2019/audibles-line-week-13

Vince Verhei: Tannehill strikes me as a Jared Goff type, who looks great when his first read is open but much worse if he has to go through progressions or escape pressure. That would explain his bad sack numbers, which have been a constant for most of his career.

Tom Gower: ...

1. Like last week, the Titans exploded for a bunch more points in the second half after only seven in the first half. This game was not that game. Last week was a Jaguars defense that didn't adjust (well?) to their schematic failings in the first half and was just completely eviscerated. The Colts defense gave up one good drive, a field goal on a non-drive, and one deep play. The Titans otherwise had two gains longer than 20 yards, one on each of their first two touchdown drives.

2. Jacoby Brissett was effective when his first read was open, which Frank Reich did a great job of for most of the game, and completely ineffective when he was not. When he got pressured and his first read didn't lead him to a throw, he was done.

3. Ryan Tannehill had similar issues. Both he and Brissett got hit a ton (the Colts set a season-high for sacks in a game, in the first half). The first touchdown drive was an example of why he's playing over Marcus Mariota and the Titans are happy he is, with his willingness to attack tight windows, but those sacks are basically a feature of his game, which we learned in Miami.

and from their "Quick Reads:"

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-13-quick-reads

Tannehill was good at the beginning and end of this game, but not so much in the middle. He threw for only one first down in the second and third quarters, going 9-of-11 for 65 yards with five sacks.

--

Now I know me sharing this is a risk to be labeled a hater or Mariota lover by the insane, but whatever.  We can wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before we declare the sky is falling during the offseason.

18 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

Now I know me sharing this is a risk to be labeled a hater or Mariota lover by the insane, but whatever.  We can wait and see how the rest of the season plays out before we declare the sky is falling during the offseason.

We were talking about him holding the ball and taking sacks after Sunday's game.  The coaching staff has to get him to release the ball and play the next down.  The scary part was the Dolphins fan saying he has been doing this his entire career.  I believe he can be coached out of that, do we have the coach to do is the 64$ question.

It’s not only how big he is, but his height makes him that much difficult to tackle. Henry has to be 6’4, and this guy is just so tall there’s to much height to bring down. Unbelievable a back with his size and speed exist. Thank god he’s also fucking durable when most backs break down 

Meh, Tanny's avg of release is 2.5 second. NFL avg. I think he reads the field fine, stands tall till the last millisecond and delivers accurate balls. I haven't seen him sail one over a curling receiver head. Tanny and Henry go together like pb&j.

A completely balanced offense... The league spooked. They fear Henry and gotta respect Tanny ?

Just now, TitanHead said:

Meh, Tanny's avg of release is 2.5 second. NFL avg. I think he reads the field fine, stands tall till the last millisecond and delivers accurate balls. I haven't seen him sail one over a curling receiver head. Tanny and Henry go together like pb&j.

A completely balanced offense... The league spooked. They fear Henry and gotta respect Tanny ?

Don’t forget Tanny also has wheels. When he was at Texas and m they said he was the fastest player they had on the team 

Archived