Flat Earthers

Supernope

Got a question, and TR is my only safe space to ask it.   Safest place on the interwebs after all.

So these flat earthers .. are they for real?  Is this an act to get attention?  Maybe this mainly a media thing?  Is this some millenials trying to be anachronistic like when they agreed to briefly drink PBR in 2010?

I guess does anyone actually know a flat earther?  If so, what would you gauge their education level to be?

53 minutes ago, Supernope said:

Got a question, and TR is my only safe space to ask it.   Safest place on the interwebs after all.

So these flat earthers .. are they for real?  Is this an act to get attention?  Maybe this mainly a media thing?  Is this some millenials trying to be anachronistic like when they agreed to briefly drink PBR in 2010?

I guess does anyone actually know a flat earther?  If so, what would you gauge their education level to be?

They're real.  In the olden days these moronic retards would have ate the wrong mushroom, stared down the barrel of a gun, or been dared to lick a poison frog, ultimately removing them from the gene pool through natural selection.  Nowadays, we carry these barely-breathing meatsacks along with us to the detriment of future generations and the end of modern society.

A hundred proofs the Earth is not a globe

Here are the first four, for example, but the link lists all 100:

1.  The aeronaut can see for himself that Earth is a Plane. The appearance presented to him, even at the highest elevation he has ever attained, is that of a concave surface - this being exactly what is to be expected of a surface that is truly level, since it is the nature of level surfaces to appear to rise to a level with the eye of the observer. This is ocular demonstration and proof that Earth is not a globe.

2.  Whenever experiments have been tried on the surface of standing water, this surface has always been found to be level. If the Earth were a globe, the surface of all standing water would be convex. This is an experimental proof that Earth is not a globe.

3.  Surveyors' operations in the construction of railroads, tunnels, or canals are conducted without the slightest "allowance" being made for "curvature," although it is taught that this so-called allowance is absolutely necessary! This is a cutting proof that Earth is not a globe.

4.  There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet - notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's "convexity." It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Denali said:

A hundred proofs the Earth is not a globe

Here are the first four, for example, but the link lists all 100:

1.  The aeronaut can see for himself that Earth is a Plane. The appearance presented to him, even at the highest elevation he has ever attained, is that of a concave surface - this being exactly what is to be expected of a surface that is truly level, since it is the nature of level surfaces to appear to rise to a level with the eye of the observer. This is ocular demonstration and proof that Earth is not a globe.

2.  Whenever experiments have been tried on the surface of standing water, this surface has always been found to be level. If the Earth were a globe, the surface of all standing water would be convex. This is an experimental proof that Earth is not a globe.

3.  Surveyors' operations in the construction of railroads, tunnels, or canals are conducted without the slightest "allowance" being made for "curvature," although it is taught that this so-called allowance is absolutely necessary! This is a cutting proof that Earth is not a globe.

4.  There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet - notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth's "convexity." It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.

Enjoy.

The problem here is the sheer absurdity makes it difficult to know where to start.  I scanned the link but just couldn't read it all.  How do they explain being able to sail around the world ending in the place you started?

3 minutes ago, smokeater said:

The problem here is the sheer absurdity makes it difficult to know where to start.  I scanned the link but just couldn't read it all.  How do they explain being able to sail around the world ending in the place you started?

Has anyone actually done that?  I mean for real, or are you just talking theory?

5 minutes ago, Denali said:

Has anyone actually done that?  I mean for real, or are you just talking theory?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/18/571590996/around-the-world-in-42-days-frenchman-sets-new-sailing-record

Apparently this guy did it, but it does look like not that many actually have done it.  I could see it being pretty dam tough.  Does seem like this would put an end to a flat earth theory-not sure how they explain it unless they just deny that it happened.

So here's a question.

To be a flat earther one has to carry a heavy skepticism.  Can't believe all that science mumbo jumbo etc.  Given that the world is out to deceive you, then why the hell would you believe some shit you read on the internet?  Like those 100 flat earth proofs @Denali posted?

You just know those fools are the ones sending money to Nigerian princes, taking vitamins for their diabetes, and every other scam imaginable.  Their glued to the screen and addicted to the lies!

It has to be the sense of power and attention that comes from being the class clown.  On an emotional level those suckers need to be fools, cause at least being mocked means getting attention.

12 hours ago, Denali said:

I tested this and they are 100% correct.  I filled my bathtub and the water was level.

11 hours ago, smokeater said:

11 hours ago, Denali said:

11 hours ago, smokeater said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/18/571590996/around-the-world-in-42-days-frenchman-sets-new-sailing-record

Apparently this guy did it, but it does look like not that many actually have done it.  I could see it being pretty dam tough.  Does seem like this would put an end to a flat earth theory-not sure how they explain it unless they just deny that it happened.

No one needs to sail around the world.  Plenty of people have already flown planes around it.  Thousands have taken multi-destination trips around the world and returned home by flying around it, as opposed to turning around and flying back the way they came.

Someone needs to ask these morons to please travel to the end of the flat earth and bring back some pictures of the cliff, wall, or whatever else they see when they get to the end.

Edited by abenjami

42 minutes ago, abenjami said:

No one needs to sail around the world.  Plenty of people have already flown planes around it.  Thousands have taken multi-destination trips around the world and returned home by flying around it, as opposed to turning around and flying back the way they came.

Someone needs to ask these morons to please travel to the end of the flat earth and bring back some pictures of the cliff, wall, or whatever else they see when they get to the end.

Maybe they claim the world is a flat circle? 

image.png.be74938711fe0c76effade99297a2e0c.png

It's the psychology of these people that is interesting. 

Human beings want to be special. That's what most of conspiratorial belief is all about. 

A lot of Trumpian belief is like this. Q-Anon. Everyone who disagrees is deep state or a never Trumper that can be dismissed with a wave of the hand. 

"I am IN THE KNOW! These SHEEPLE don't get it!" 

Flat Earth is an ultimate example of this. 

There are some decent youtube people (SciManDan) who post vids debunking flat earthers' bullshit.

It's mostly made up of people who don't really understand science and/or aren't great at critical thinking so they fall for silly scenarios then it becomes part of their identity.

Then for the people who do have a small grasp of science, it turns into them just trying to poke holes in what we know about the Earth and general physics. 

And when that fails, it becomes just trying to ask a question that the particular person you're talking to can't answer and then blow it out of proportion.