Gentrification of Real Estate in Nashville Inner City.

Number9

I remember several years ago (maybe 4 or 5?), Nashville City Council passed an ordinance to either require or incentivize affordable housing being included in new developments.  It seemed like a progressive way to hopefully keep all of the old-timers from being run out by new development.  Alas, the republican super majority legislature passed legislation to negate this measure and override the will of City Council.

Edited by wtenn

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Homeowners aren’t being forced out. They’re being paid ridiculous amounts of money actually. The people who are being relocated are those in section 8 housing. I’m pretty sure as a proclaimed Libertar

https://fox17.com/news/local/study-north-nashville-zip-code-has-highest-incarceration-rate-in-the-country   This doesn't mention about gentrification as causing incarcerations.    

Bullshit

6 hours ago, wtenn said:

I remember several years ago (maybe 4 or 5?), Nashville City Council passed an ordinance to either require or incentivize affordable housing being included in new developments.  It seemed like a progressive way to hopefully keep all of the old-timers from being run out by new development.  Alas, the republican super majority legislature passed legislation to negate this measure and override the will of City Council.

They built a large building on Main St at 6th?  The building had to house a certain percentage of low income residents.  I don't know of any others.  The repubs doing that is just sad.  What's the upside?  But people like @titansduck fly in here before the you can even have a conversation saying 

"Wait, isn't N'ville the only liberal-white stronghold in the state?

And you say poor people, particularly poor blacks, are being forced from their legally owned private property?"

This kind of person has no compassion, just stupid statements to muddy up conversation.  All posters like him want to do is to argue and say "talking points"  Any moron can do that, but how does it help the people suffering in rural America?  I might be wrong.  I might mix up what I'm trying to say, but I am not just trying to stir up shit.  

Edited by Number9

22 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Do you not know 9? Of course I can’t provide what you ask. He made an assertion and backed it up. I then provided a link to a part of his claim. I never said he was correct. I provided evidence to his assertion that the police are being used in a certain manner. I never said I agreed or disagreed with him. I merely linked the fact he wasn’t wrong about 37208 having the highest incarceration rate in the entire United States. When I looked it up I found it pretty shocking. 

And I posted a link discussing crime in the area, and no where did it mention people were being arrested for not leaving their homes.  This is the core argument he is making, but not a single link suggesting this was the case.  

1 hour ago, Rogue said:

And I posted a link discussing crime in the area, and no where did it mention people were being arrested for not leaving their homes.  This is the core argument he is making, but not a single link suggesting this was the case.  

Do you expect them to admit it?  I put a link about a judge send children to privately owned jails.  Do you think they posted what they were doing?  

What I am doing is connecting the dots how I see what's going on.  Cause and effect.  If you disagree, why do you think it's happening?  A Nashville judge has put together an organization to help these people.  The judge did not say what I am saying.  There is a pattern of this in many cities in gentrification areas.  I have explained in other threads how Nashville has no impact fees.  So, not only are we subsidizing they new dwellings they buy, but we are also having to foot the bill for policing they request.  The city is planing a 20% tax increase on everybody, again we must bear the burden of all this growth.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/the-criminalization-of-gentrifying-neighborhoods/548837/

When low-income neighborhoods see an influx of higher-income residents, social dynamics and expectations change. One of those expectations has to do with the perception of safety and public order, and the role of the state in providing it. The theory goes that as demographics shift, activity that was previously considered normal becomes suspicious, and newcomers—many of whom are white—are more inclined to get law enforcement involved. Loitering, people hanging out in the street, and noise violations often get reported, especially in racially diverse neighborhoods.

“There’s some evidence that 311 and 911 calls are increasing in gentrifying areas,” Harvard sociology professor Robert Sampson told me. And “that makes for a potentially explosive atmosphere with regard to the police,” he added.

By degrees, long-term residents begin to find themselves tangled up in the criminal-justice system for so-called “quality of life” crimes as 311 and 911 calls draw police to neighborhoods where they didn’t necessarily enforce nuisance laws before. As Paul Butler, a former federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C., describes it, misdemeanor arrests are more reflective of police presence than the total number of infractions committed in an area. “It’s not a question of how many people are committing the crime—it’s a question of where the police are directing their law-enforcement resources,” Butler said. “Because wherever they direct the resources, they can find the crime.”

2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

How about identifying that legislation. The name of it, what it does and how it was voted. I'm sure you can provide links right?

I provide that information in my posts along with links and still get called a liar. Please enlighten us further. Did you get that from the homeless rag, The Contributor? 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/05/tennessee-senate-affordable-housing-nashville-inclusionary-zoning/397032002/

With a vote of 20 to 6, the Republican-led Senate effectively nullified Nashville’s attempt at so-called “inclusionary zoning.” Two Republicans sided with Democrats in opposing the bill.

Under the local 2016 ordinance, apartment developers proposing five or more units could request a zoning variance for expanded development rights, such as density or greater height. To gain approval, they would have to include a percentage of new affordable or workforce units. No developers have yet taken advantage of the program. 

The bill approved Monday, SB363, was sponsored by Sen. Ferrell Haile, R-Gallatin. Rep. Glen Casada, R-Franklin, sponsored the House companion bill, which passed last year.

Gov. Bill Haslam still has to sign the bill into law

Nashville’s incentive-based program was already diluted after the legislature earlier in 2016 prohibited mandatory inclusionary zoning.

1 hour ago, wtenn said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/05/tennessee-senate-affordable-housing-nashville-inclusionary-zoning/397032002/

With a vote of 20 to 6, the Republican-led Senate effectively nullified Nashville’s attempt at so-called “inclusionary zoning.” Two Republicans sided with Democrats in opposing the bill.

Under the local 2016 ordinance, apartment developers proposing five or more units could request a zoning variance for expanded development rights, such as density or greater height. To gain approval, they would have to include a percentage of new affordable or workforce units. No developers have yet taken advantage of the program. 

The bill approved Monday, SB363, was sponsored by Sen. Ferrell Haile, R-Gallatin. Rep. Glen Casada, R-Franklin, sponsored the House companion bill, which passed last year.

Gov. Bill Haslam still has to sign the bill into law

Nashville’s incentive-based program was already diluted after the legislature earlier in 2016 prohibited mandatory inclusionary zoning.

People know what going on, you just have to waste time showing them the obvious.  I wanted to build a second dwelling on a corner property in North Nashville.  NO!  I have a friend who is building a house in her backyard.  She had to get legal help and spend a lot of money to get approval, including mail letter to a huge number of people in the neighborhood.  Right next door to her are two lots with two houses on each one.  Her property is on a corner.

They are building two houses on lots all over Nashville.  Are you receiving letters for codes meeting everyday?  Building a second home on your lot can save you from being easily being bought out and provide a home for a family member.  You could even sell your backyard to a developer and have a stash of cash.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:13 PM, Number9 said:

https://fox17.com/news/local/study-north-nashville-zip-code-has-highest-incarceration-rate-in-the-country

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — 37208: That's the north Nashville zip code that has the highest incarceration rate in the entire country, according to a study by the Brookings Institution.

Only tangentially related but 13-16 year old black kids from this area are coming over to Sylvan Park in the mornings and late at night, stealing cars.

(they steal running cars in the morning, and cars that dummies leave their keys in, in the evenings. And some use a transmitter blocker to catch a signal and start a car without keys.)

They are joy riding, and picking their friends up from school. At teacher at one of the schools says it's some status thing and the kids just laugh about how they scare white folk. 

The cars are usually dumped after petty crimes or joy rides. 

When the kids are caught they get the same type of punishment one would receive for stealing a bag of chips from the Tigermart. 

It's a real problem. 

34 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

Only tangentially related but 13-16 year old black kids from this area are coming over to Sylvan Park in the mornings and late at night, stealing cars.

(they steal running cars in the morning, and cars that dummies leave their keys in, in the evenings. And some use a transmitter blocker to catch a signal and start a car without keys.)

They are joy riding, and picking their friends up from school. At teacher at one of the schools says it's some status thing and the kids just laugh about how they scare white folk. 

The cars are usually dumped after petty crimes or joy rides. 

When the kids are caught they get the same type of punishment one would receive for stealing a bag of chips from the Tigermart. 

It's a real problem. 

That's 37204 zip code.  I know it's a problem.  Crime is wrong.  PERIOD.  It's a problem.  How do you solve it?  The USA has the highest number of humans incarcerated on the planet?  Incarceration is not working.  

I am just pointing out how the police and the judicial system is being used to aid gentrification.  The Native American were living here.  They didn't have any pounds.  They dressed funny.  The gentrifiers saw them as a problem.  So, they used laws and police to get them out of the area.  They didn't give a shit where they went, just as long as they went.  Then the gentrifiers decided to expand into where the Native Americans went.  They bought the land.  Again, the Native Americans didn't have any pounds.  Hell, they were so stupid they couldn't even speak English.  They were saying shit like "yo bro" and they lacked the language skills to pronounce Rs.  They said fo' for four and flo' for floor.  They just didn't fit in.  The settlers treated them nice at first, then when their numbers got large-they called the po po.

So, what were the Native Americans to do?  The gentrifiers were picking all the best land, close to the water, good hunting, city bus, sidewalk and street lights.  Some of the Native Americans got mad, the young ones.  They would steal from the gentrifiers.  So, the gentrifiers went got the law.  The law would kill them.  Leave their bodies laying out in the sun to ward away the other Native Americans.  The Native Americans said "we was here fiuss"  The gentrifiers said you don't have any pounds, we bought this.  

In the end the Native Americans got squeezed into reservations, on the worse land, no sidewalk or city bus.  "they fought the law and the law won"

Edited by Number9

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

That's 37204 zip code.  I know it's a problem.  Crime is wrong.  PERIOD.  It's a problem.  How do you solve it?  The USA has the highest number of humans incarcerated on the planet?  Incarceration is not working.  

I am just pointing out how the police and the judicial system is being used to aid gentrification.  The Native American were living here.  They didn't have any pounds.  They dressed funny.  The gentrifiers saw them as a problem.  So, they used laws and police to get them out of the area.  They didn't give a shit where they went, just as long as they went.  Then the gentrifiers decided to expand into where the Native Americans went.  They bought the land.  Again, the Native Americans didn't have any pounds.  Hell, they were so stupid they couldn't even speak English.  They were saying shit like "yo bro" and they lacked the language skills to pronounce Rs.  They said fo' for four and flo' for floor.  They just didn't fit in.  The settlers treated them nice at first, then when their numbers got large-they called the po po.

So, what were the Native Americans to do?  The gentrifiers were picking all the best land, close to the water, good hunting, city bus, sidewalk and street lights.  Some of the Native Americans got mad, the young ones.  They would steal from the gentrifiers.  So, the gentrifiers went got the law.  The law would kill them.  Leave their bodies laying out in the sun to ward away the other Native Americans.  The Native Americans said "we was here fiuss"  The gentrifiers said you don't have any pounds, we bought this.  

In the end the Native Americans got squeezed into reservations, on the worse land, no sidewalk or city bus.  "they fought the law and the law won"

It's 37209 I am talking about, not 204. 

Yeah that's a problem. They don't want to jail these kids, and the kids take advantage of this, knowing they will only get a slap on the wrist for this shit. So they basically treat other people's cars and property as their own shit to take as they please. It's all a big joke to them. 

Most of these kids are just being shit heads but a small minority of them hurt people. On the other side of Charlotte ave, those kids killed that musician and laughed about it at court. By the way the murderer just escaped. 

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/officials-critical-oversights-allowed-juveniles-to-escape-downtown-nashville-facility/

Look at these guys. They are babies. and fucking cold blooded murderers. 

Edited by 'Nator

1 hour ago, 'Nator said:

Yeah that's a problem. They don't want to jail these kids, and the kids take advantage of this, knowing they will only get a slap on the wrist for this shit. So they basically treat other people's cars and property as their own shit to take as they please. It's all a big joke to them. 

Most of these kids are just being shit heads but a small minority of them hurt people. On the other side of Charlotte ave, those kids killed that musician and laughed about it at court. By the way the murderer just escaped. 

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/officials-critical-oversights-allowed-juveniles-to-escape-downtown-nashville-facility/

Yep, I got it mixed up with the story that mentioned Wedgewood. 

1 hour ago, 'Nator said:

This is a societal problem.  Moving them to Smyrna just dumps the problem on them.  You can start taking this back and back until you find the father taken out of the home/not able to make an income equal to his work.  Today, it's baby mama.  His starts life with a 16 year old mama and a 35 year old grandmama.  Many 30 year old kids today are still living at home trying to figure out how to provide for themselves.

I know you watch sci-fi movies and read books.  Just like Issac Asimov described GPS devices in 1951, today they are common place.  Today you see a recurring theme, walled cities with hordes of desperate people living outside in lawless societies.  We are building a wall right now.  America can't hold all the people who want to come here.  But does America have the capacity to actually train and produce the equipment needed for these people to raise their own food.  Is there a way to help the poor understand child rearing?  Problem left alone will not solve themselves.  

You now simultaneously have a new poor growing outside the cities.  Farming and the small factories that used to dot the country are gone.  No jobs with equal earning power have been created for these people.  They are using meth and they are committing heinous crimes.  Incarceration isn't the solution.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/31/615578001/report-rural-poverty-in-america-is-an-emergency

According to estimates by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, nearly a quarter of children growing up in rural America were poor in 2016, compared to slightly more than 20 percent in urban areas.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:50 PM, Number9 said:

Okay.  You are right.  I put blame wrong.  I remember going to a party in Brentwood thirty years ago.  The son of the guy having the party said to me, "I could never buy a house like this"  I thought if you were a hustler you could.  But what he was saying is he would never have the opportunity to earn that kind of money.  I have been on the gentrification side.  I bought my first house from a lady who was moving to Pleasant View.  I have a friend who paid 12K for her home.  It will sell now for about 700K, maybe more.  She's okay, but the property taxes start to become a burden for older residents in the city.  Now way that's right.  

This is what's really happening.  Property values are rising, in some cases like Nashville, they are rising a lot.  With rising property values comes rising property taxes and home insurance.  People on fixed income can't or don't want to pay these rising rates.  So they cash out their equity and move some place cheaper.  All the rest is BS.

52 minutes ago, ctm said:

This is what's really happening.  Property values are rising, in some cases like Nashville, they are rising a lot.  With rising property values comes rising property taxes and home insurance.  People on fixed income can't or don't want to pay these rising rates.  So they cash out their equity and move some place cheaper.  All the rest is BS.

I was getting ready to hit the like button, then I read the last line.  So, you get a 90% like.

I really think a lot of people don't understand the struggle of people like those in 37208.  It's real and it goes on everyday.  I understood that as I grew up I often got influence by people who weren't that smart.  They also didn't have the opportunities I had, but even for me there were limited opportunities.  The Native American said "walk a mile in my moccasins."  I think that means understand where I started and what I faced along the way.  I think often people see what they have done and refuse to see advantages they have had.

I never made a lot of money, but I knew from experience my son needed to go to a private school.  Preschool, elementary, middle school and high school tuition.  That's a 1,000 sq ft more home.  It's a Lexus.  It's vacations abroad.  It's a price to pay so your child has a better chance.  The parents of these people who some think it's a good idea to either move out or be incarcerated, can't even afford transportation costs to send their children to private schools.

Some people accept all the breaks they get in life and look down on others for not achieving the same thing.  Norman Vincent Peale said if he just reached one person...  As you bust up complete neighborhoods, you destroy families, heritage and futures.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ACYBGNTMzDbKEI2uCP4Tf8oaTOemPZRGYg%3A1575420553175&ei=iQLnXZaRCtKxggeI26D4Dw&q=average+private+school+tuition+in+nashville&oq=average+private+school+tuition+in+nashville&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..53649...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.T3dFg8qmkZM&ved=0ahUKEwjW-cXz4prmAhXSmOAKHYgtCP8Q4dUDCAo

Nashville.  

The average private school tuition is $11,263 for elementary schools and $16,100 for high schoolsOct 25, 2019