Gentrification of Real Estate in Nashville Inner City.

Number9

22 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Do you not know 9? Of course I can’t provide what you ask. He made an assertion and backed it up. I then provided a link to a part of his claim. I never said he was correct. I provided evidence to his assertion that the police are being used in a certain manner. I never said I agreed or disagreed with him. I merely linked the fact he wasn’t wrong about 37208 having the highest incarceration rate in the entire United States. When I looked it up I found it pretty shocking. 

There were about 40 cities on the list you provided.  If you live in Nashville, then you know that crime here isn't on a level that exceeds a lot of larger cities.  They talk about Chicago where people are constantly getting shot.  There's gang violence in LA, Miami and all these other big tough cities.  If the crime here was that bad, they couldn't have the abundance of tourists that come here in huge numbers.  I think that guy just wants to argue.  I doubt he even read any of the article you posted.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Homeowners aren’t being forced out. They’re being paid ridiculous amounts of money actually. The people who are being relocated are those in section 8 housing. I’m pretty sure as a proclaimed Libertar

https://fox17.com/news/local/study-north-nashville-zip-code-has-highest-incarceration-rate-in-the-country   This doesn't mention about gentrification as causing incarcerations.    

Bullshit

https://nypost.com/2014/02/23/film-details-teens-struggles-in-state-detention-in-payoff-scandal/

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2017/08/a-federal-judge-put-hundreds-of-immigrants-behind-bars-while-her-husband-invested-in-private-prisons/

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/09/judges-issue-longer-sentences-when-their-college-football-team-loses/498980/

https://truthout.org/articles/how-punitive-and-racist-policing-enforces-gentrification-in-san-francisco/

San Francisco public defender Peter Santina, told Truthout,” As public defenders, we see many instances of professionals in gentrifying neighborhoods (such as SOMA and the Mission) calling the police when they suspect (sometimes incorrectly) that a petty crime is occurring. The professionals often demand police attention and often receive it; 

6 hours ago, Number9 said:

Read my post two posts above yours.  That is all I have.  

After all these posts, you still haven't explained how people go to jail for failing to sell their property.  That was your original premise.

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

I worked with a nurse about 5 years ago who grew up in East Nashville. She was about 65 at that time and she is black. We had a lot of free time that day and she complained about gentrification in her east Nashville neighborhood. She never used that word and we discussed and argued the issue. 

I was logical, I asked why she would be so bothered by having more affluent law abiding and responsible home owners in the area. She made no sense. Of course she must support the fact that her home is increasing in value. She would not outright say it but what it all boiled down to is race. That was a black neighborhood when she grew up there but now white people were moving in and it was not black any longer. 

This is an attitude that if held by a white person would be considered viciously racist. It is still racist!

She was not a mean person, we got along whenever we worked but she was no different than those racist white people who red lined blacks away from certain neighborhoods. No matter how much good these people were for the neighborhood and how much they increased existing home values she did not want them simply because they are the wrong color. 

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

https://truthout.org/articles/how-punitive-and-racist-policing-enforces-gentrification-in-san-francisco/

San Francisco public defender Peter Santina, told Truthout,” As public defenders, we see many instances of professionals in gentrifying neighborhoods (such as SOMA and the Mission) calling the police when they suspect (sometimes incorrectly) that a petty crime is occurring. The professionals often demand police attention and often receive it; 

4 hours ago, ctm said:

After all these posts, you still haven't explained how people go to jail for failing to sell their property.  That was your original premise.

I am not going to do deep research to show you what is obvious to me.  They lock up people to get them out of the neighborhood.  I already gave the example of the mom and grand-mom moving way out somewhere that they don't want to live.  I never said they are locking up landowners.  I even gave you the example of Manhattan Island.   

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I am not going to do deep research to show you what is obvious to me.  They lock up people to get them out of the neighborhood.  I already gave the example of the mom and grand-mom moving way out somewhere that they don't want to live.  I never said they are locking up landowners.  I even gave you the example of Manhattan Island.   

You said people were arrested for refusing to sell their house.  No research required.  What is the crime?  What are they being charged with?

3 hours ago, titanruss said:

those sure as fuck werent mellinials. 

I changed it to gentrification way back in the thread.   I was one of them who moved in early East Nashville.  The going price was 39K for remodels, 49K for the big kahuna.  The people moved out to Ashland City, Pleasant View.  A lot of the kids hung around and they were a rough bunch.  Next door to me, they threw rocks through me window, ran off one of my tenants and threw rocks through her windows as well.  In the end, one went to prison and one was shot robbing a store.  They caused lot of trouble.  

The same story went in early Lockland Springs.  A lot of them didn't have homes there, they just hung around at different houses.  The magnitude was different.  The older residents could afford to stay. It was more harmonious. It was renters who got forced out.  The new renters came from Music Row/Belmont.  They were musicians and artist. The old woman I bought from moved to an adjoining county.  What you are failing to see is the magnitude of the price change.  Then they sold for 18-25, we just painted, new kitchen floor, carpeting, make 8-12K and move on.  Now they buy for 100-120?, Tear the MF down and stick up a prefab for 300K.  The people moving in have zero interest in being a part of the neighborhood.  

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Quote it.

From your 1st post in the thread, which I already bolded up thread:

If you don't sell, you go to jail.

Quit being difficult and just admit that you don't know wtf you are talking about.

9 minutes ago, ctm said:

From your 1st post in the thread, which I already bolded up thread:

If you don't sell, you go to jail.

Quit being difficult and just admit that you don't know wtf you are talking about...

Quote means go find it and use the quote feature.  But ^^that's just hyperbole, it's not meant to be a true statement.  The people getting locked up are the ones who slipped through the cracks.  I already explained a lot of them probably have family that moved to the outskirts.   

Edited by Number9

Somebody quoted @Rolltide, yuk.  Anyway I can easily explain his racists bs about the nurse.  When a so-called black person moves to Brentwood, he wants to be part of the Brentwood experience.  When the gentrifiers move in, they don't want to blend in.  They call the police.

Just now, Number9 said:

Quote means go find it and use the quote feature.  But ^^that's just hyperbole, it's not meant to be a true statement.  The people getting locked up are the ones who slipped through the cracks.  I already explained a lot of them probably have family that moved to the outskirts.   

Not meant to be a true statement but in the next sentence you continue to say people are getting locked up? 

WTF are you talking about?  No one gets arrested for refusing to sell their house.

Just now, ctm said:

Not meant to be a true statement but in the next sentence you continue to say people are getting locked up? 

WTF are you talking about?  No one gets arrested for refusing to sell their house.

YOU ARE RIGHT.

You've chosen to ignore content by Rolltide. Options 

All you do is say the same thing, over and over.