Derrick Henry’s path to the 2019 Rushing Title(UPDATE: Henry wins it.)

heyitsmeallen

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HENRY JUST WON THE RUSHING TITLE ON A 50+ YARD TD RUN!      

Henry makes another HUGE JUMP. He is now in 3rd place and only 35 yards behind the Leader with 4 games to play. Cook, Jacobs, and Carson still have a game to play this week    1. Chubb- 1,175

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

OMan is a tard when it comes to how he rationalizes football.  He also thinks you can win championships with average WRs.  The thing is he is right, it can be done but it is sure a hell of a lot easier when you go into NE with a beast at RB.  We might be able to win without Brown at WR but I feel much better having a WR that can make big plays.  We even have stupid comments about Henry making splash plays like a 50+ TD run is a bad thing.  JRob and the coaching staff know full wee there is a difference between Henry and just another good RB.  Henry is a legit difference maker and you need those guys to win a championship.  

Bottom line....  Henry gives us a legit chance to make a run in the playoffs and if we just had an average RB instead of him we might not even be in the playoffs.  Not that his 1500 yards and 18 TDs mean anything to some people.  Or the fact he averaged 5.1 YPC.  

Yep, everyone knows that QB is by far the most important position. But having a good running game becomes even more important come playoff time. 

I jokingly mentioned in another thread that we will likely be paying Henry between $9-12M/yr unless he got a major injury or goes on an Elliot like tear of > 200 yard games through the playoffs...

Well, Henry just put up 211 and 3TD on what was essentially the first of our playoff games...

Fun times...

22 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Henry can raise his value even more if he dominates in the playoffs

If he can help us beat a team like the Pats on the road I wouldn't care about paying him a few mil more.  We shall see.

I know we wouldn't have near the chance to win without him.  I'd take him in this game over any other RB.  

For those in love with a guy like Gurley glance over how he did this year.  Only 31 catches?  Keep in mind one reason Henry doesn't have 30 or more catches is because he comes out of the game.  Doesn't mean he can't be productive.  They just like to rotate another RB in.  In fact they might want to give Henry more of those opportunities.  

I actually owe you a bit of an apology. Back when half the board was shitting on Henry, you said he could easily have just as dominant a year as Gurley. I scoffed at your statement but you were completely right and I was wrong. It seems even I underestimated this guy. 

On 12/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, nine said:

It's crazy that a QB (Lamar Jackson) is the #9 rusher in the league.   When Michael Vick ran for 1039 yards in 2006, he didn't even crack the top 20 overall rushers.

It's also crazy that defenses aren't doing more to shut down Jackson as a runner.   I haven't watched much of the Ravens this year....but I've watched a bit, and I'm amazed how often edge rushers are chasing that inside fake and letting Jackson get to the edge completely untouched.   If I was a DC, I'd have my edge rushers focus on outside containment  and key 100% on Jackson on every snap...."playing the run on the way to the QB", as they say.    If he fakes to the outside after handing the ball off, then he presents himself as a ballcarrier..... the rules that protect the QB no longer apply.  Even if he doesn't have the ball, it's 100% legal to go after him and blow him up.

From a defensive standpoint, a great dual-threat QB like Jackson is damn near unstoppable.   The best defensive strategy is to keep hammering the guy every time he shows a run look until the coaches stop trying for fear of getting him hurt.   But defenses have become so gun-shy about hitting QB's, I honestly think they don't know this is allowed.

If he's in the pocket, he's protected.   But if it's an option-type play where he takes a step to the outside after handing it off, then he has no protection....the defense has every right to blow him up and take him down hard.    (Which is obviously easier said than done....but at this point, defenses aren't doing it at all.)

I've been saying go "Buddy Ryan" on him for months.

6 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

You work both sides of the street harder than a junkie hooker in need of a fix.

Yea you really got me, after Henry pulled a hammy, was sat late in a game and then missed a game it's true, I went from a vague "Henry could lead the league in rushing" to thinking it was out at that point.

Exposed. 

Hahaha.

Anyway, Henry was the AFC offensive player of the week, but frankly it could have gone to AJ Brown, and I would not have been shocked. How many of these weekly awards did Henry get this year?

Also, I was watching a video of the best plays of the year in the NFL. His run against the Jags was there; so was the one where he sealed the rushing title. But it also had McAfree on some really long runs. When you see some of the guys who make big plays---add in people like Hill---you realize that our big play guys are freaking huge. Henry and Brown are really big men, and yet they can outrun most of the people on the field. We have some freakish athletes on this team. In fact, Tanny and Jonnu Smith can be added to that list. They are big and strong and fast.

On defense, guys like Evans and Jayon Brown are also freakish athletes. So is Simmons, for that matter, who should be even better next year.