Bye Week Talk: Outlook for 2019 and Beyond

Jonboy

3 hours ago, Thrill said:

I think a lot of it has to do with targets. Take the Steelers for example: Juju Smith was ready to take the mantle as the best WR in the league. Once Big Ben got hurt they transitioned their offense in to a check down heavy tight end based offense and Smith Shuster stats look as bad as Corey Davis’ do. Davis’ numbers have had an uptick with RT playing qb but there are still games where we only throw the ball 20 times. 

What? JSS is proof you dont just become a #1 because the previous #1 left. A lot of his success was predicated on the attention Brown got.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Playoffs? Playoffs?!     Unsurprisingly, it's been another roller coaster season for the Titans. I'm as guilty of it as anyone, but I think it's time to move past the "what if" sce

Never draft a mike williams it never works

https://blacksportsonline.com/2019/11/the-titans-have-made-progress-under-ryan-tannehill-heres-why-they-cant-have-a-letdown-after-beating-the-chiefs-videos/

Good article about how stubborn and dumb the offense is under Arthur Smith. 

Get them some screens, scheme them open as many times as possible instead of relying on a running game to get them open, literally anything else other than long developing dig routes off of play action out of a heavy set with 3 tight ends.

Want more suggestions? Run them a slant or 2, these top 3 WRs have too much RAC ability and savvy to get open to NOT try it.

There are so many ways you can run simple concepts and routes to get these 3 the ball, but yet, the Titans are way too hesitant to jump on the opportunity.

There shouldn’t be a game where the Titans can’t find a way to get the ball in the hands of Humphries, Davis, and Brown a combined 10 times a game.

Especially when it comes against defenses with secondaries that are pieced together by years old pieces of office tape.

Edited by abc2330

If the WR is elite talent, then it is worth using a top 5 pick on. The problem with Davis is that he is not an Elite WR, never was, and never should have been drafted that high. Davis was a late 1st, Early 2nd caliber WR. Like some others on here, I wanted Adams and the idea of having Byard and Adams would make them the best safety tandem in the league IMO. But it is what it is. Our WR corps is solid, theres no need to make any changes to it. I would address the TE position. Walker is on his way out and we don't have anybody else that stands out. Finding a Jason Witten style TE that contributes to the running and passing game would be ideal. 

20 minutes ago, oldschool said:

What? JSS is proof you dont just become a #1 because the previous #1 left. A lot of his success was predicated on the attention Brown got.

JSS had his 2nd highest reception count this year in the one game that Big Ben played. He’d be a top 5-10 WR statistically with the right qb and game plan.

Calvin Johnson would barely be a top 10 WR statistically with this offense. Even with Tannehill playing well we spread the ball around and feature different guys every week while still throwing at a low volume. 

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I'm pretty much to the point that you should never draft a WR in the 1st round unless you have a Calvin Johnson type situation. Even then, I'd prioritize other needs depending on the situation. I loved Davis throughout the entire draft process and really felt he'd be a great fit here, but even I said I wouldn't take him at 5 over Jamal Adams.

FiveThirtyEight did an article on this a few years ago. WR is one of those positions where you consistently find quality and even star players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

3 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

This is pretty much where i'm at, but would you call Julio a terrible pick?

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

You can give Atlanta credit in that Julio Jones is a great player but it's also a position where supply greatly exceeds demand.

They did, however, trade five draft picks to the Cleveland Browns to move up into their spot and take Jones:  the 27th, 59th, and 124th picks from the 2011 Draft, and their first (22nd) and fourth round (118) picks from the 2012 Draft.

@IrishTitansFan please note that @Jonboy is being polite.

It's quite simple: Julio Jones is a great player but was a bad pick.

25 minutes ago, patsplat said:

@IrishTitansFan please note that @Jonboy is being polite.

It's quite simple: Julio Jones is a great player but was a bad pick.

I think Julio is pretty overrated. He’s a great receiver but he’s not a generational guy by any means. To me he’s a slightly better Anquan Bolden or Jarvis Landry guy. He makes some circus catches from time to time but has almost never had double digit touchdowns in a single season despite being in a pass heavy offense for years.

50 minutes ago, Thrill said:

JSS had his 2nd highest reception count this year in the one game that Big Ben played. He’d be a top 5-10 WR statistically with the right qb and game plan.

Calvin Johnson would barely be a top 10 WR statistically with this offense. Even with Tannehill playing well we spread the ball around and feature different guys every week while still throwing at a low volume. 

The offense obviously has the ability to be s strength of the team, as evidenced by PPG since RT took over.  But that's causing people to overlook us being average in YPG, bottom 5 in third down conversion rate, and losing the possession battle by close top ten minutes in some games.  We attempt a ball control strategy for the majority of the game, and absolutely suck at it.  But we are actually trying to score, I.e. In the red zone or during late game drives, we are virtually unstoppable.

I don't know what we didn't like while reviewing the LA tape, because that was our best performance by far in terms of yards per drive, points per drive, 3rd down conversion, etc.  And it's not like their defense is a pushover, and we also had Kelly going against Bosa.  The receivers were much more involved and we controlled the ball far better than we have since.  The offense has basically gone into a shell and become predictably dumb for no reason at all.  

Edited by abc2330

3 hours ago, Thrill said:

I think Julio is pretty overrated. He’s a great receiver but he’s not a generational guy by any means. To me he’s a slightly better Anquan Bolden or Jarvis Landry guy. He makes some circus catches from time to time but has almost never had double digit touchdowns in a single season despite being in a pass heavy offense for years.

Its because of his physical attributes. Same with Calvin Johnson. Neither of them would rank in my greatest WRs of all time. 

Cut Butler. Sign Ryan, Kelly, Henry, Tannehill. Draft a corner. Don't take Adoree's 5th. Let Conklin walk. Sign an aging RT or draft a LT that falls into the 2nd round. 

We really don't have many holes going into next offseason. Amy gonna be signing some checks though.

11 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Cut Butler. Sign Ryan, Kelly, Henry, Tannehill. Draft a corner. Don't take Adoree's 5th. Let Conklin walk. Sign an aging RT or draft a LT that falls into the 2nd round. 

We really don't have many holes going into next offseason. Amy gonna be signing some checks though.

Davis needs to start showing up. We have a QB now that can get the ball down the field but he seems to still be a less than marginal WR..I think Brown has passed Davis as a go to and even though we have a decent Wr group I think Davis should be traded. .. There's great receivers out there in late rounds that are diamonds in the rough . 

42 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Davis needs to start showing up. We have a QB now that can get the ball down the field but he seems to still be a less than marginal WR..I think Brown has passed Davis as a go to and even though we have a decent Wr group I think Davis should be traded. .. There's great receivers out there in late rounds that are diamonds in the rough . 

I think Davis is being misused. He should really be running posts and getting over the middle more. On the outside, he needs back shoulder throws. I don't think he's separating enough to get the ball compared to the others. Incredible blocker.

Has great hands despite some drops. I'd think a team would love to have him. 2nd and a 4th? I mean really what's his value in a trade? 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Thrill said:

W T F are you smoking? He has almost 12k yards in 9 seasons. He's averaging 95 yards per game. To put that into perspective, TO (#3 in all time yards) averaged 73 yds per game, and in TO's first 9 seasons, he would have been dusted by Julio by 2000 yards. 

Rice managed 75 yds per game. Sure seems like a "generational guy" to me. Just so you know, Julio is #31 right now in yards all time. He will probably be #25 by the end of the year, surpassing Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Michael Irvin, Antonio Gates, and Calvin Johnson. 

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

I think Davis is being misused. He should really be running posts and getting over the middle more. On the outside, he needs back shoulder throws. I don't think he's separating enough to get the ball compared to the others. Incredible blocker.

Has great hands despite some drops. I'd think a team would love to have him. 2nd and a 4th? I mean really what's his value in a trade? 

He's kinda hard to figure out in all aspects.....on the field and trade value ...

2 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

W T F are you smoking? He has almost 12k yards in 9 seasons. He's averaging 95 yards per game. To put that into perspective, TO (#3 in all time yards) averaged 73 yds per game, and in TO's first 9 seasons, he would have been dusted by Julio by 2000 yards. 

Rice managed 75 yds per game. Sure seems like a "generational guy" to me. Just so you know, Julio is #31 right now in yards all time. He will probably be #25 by the end of the year, surpassing Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Michael Irvin, Antonio Gates, and Calvin Johnson. 

Yards don’t put points on the board. Look up his TD #s he’s probably going to end up with like Hines ward/Derrick Mason numbers in that category.