Bye Week Talk: Outlook for 2019 and Beyond

Jonboy

8 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I'm not sure that will always be his approach though. This roster was in an absolutely terrible state when he took over. I could definitely see him shifting over to that style as time goes on.

Of course.  That's the point I was trying to make.  Bud is looking for silly stuff to trash the guy for.  He's banging him now to trading up for players like Evans and Landry?  Please Bud, don't go Tolar....

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Playoffs? Playoffs?!     Unsurprisingly, it's been another roller coaster season for the Titans. I'm as guilty of it as anyone, but I think it's time to move past the "what if" sce

Never draft a mike williams it never works

3 minutes ago, japan said:

Of course.  That's the point I was trying to make.  Bud is looking for silly stuff to trash the guy for.  He's banging him now to trading up for players like Evans and Landry?  Please Bud, don't go Tolar....

Boy you sure like to misrepresent things.  I responded to the person saying the Titans would get 3rd round comp picks for Ryan and Conklin, pointing out that it's unlikely based on his history. 

It's also absolutely true that Robinson's strategy has been more to trade up using picks and sign first wave FA's as opposed to the teams that routinely do get compensatory picks by primarily building through the draft, trade downs to get more picks, avoiding a lot of FA signings. 

I'm not trashing Robinson but I am pointing out how he has operated.  I've got no problem with it if the results are perennial playoff seasons and runs.  You know, like those teams I listed routinely do.

29 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The teams regularly with comp picks are consistently drafting good players and letting them walk in FA because they reinforce the depth via the draft and don't participate in unrestricted free agency much but rather sign veterans who were cut.  It's a repeatable cycle because accumulate picks. 

Robinson's approach is to trade up using picks and signing big ticket free agents in wave 1 of FA.  It's the opposite of what guys like Belichick, Roseman, Newsome/DeCosta, and Schneider do.

Ehh, Bill B. is the only GM who has done it consistently with no fall off.  Schnieder was Texans-level of wasteful for a while when it came to trading picks, and is benefiting now because other teams took on the headaches that he'd been paying for a while, Roseman signs and trades for a lot of players, and the only guys I recall Baltimore allowing to walk were too expensive to be resigned, but because they had a good contingency plan in place

34 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Ehh, Bill B. is the only GM who has done it consistently with no fall off.  Schnieder was Texans-level of wasteful for a while when it came to trading picks, and is benefiting now because other teams took on the headaches that he'd been paying for a while, Roseman signs and trades for a lot of players, and the only guys I recall Baltimore allowing to walk were too expensive to be resigned, but because they had a good contingency plan in place

These teams all regularly make the playoffs and also have had the most draft picks of teams due to comp picks, signing cut vets, and trading back or trading players for picks.  That's not to say they never sign a FA or trade up but the ability of them to consistently build their own core is a huge piece of their philosophy.  You can add GB to this mix too over the years.

14 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

These teams all regularly make the playoffs and also have had the most draft picks of teams due to comp picks, signing cut vets, and trading back or trading players for picks.  That's not to say they never sign a FA or trade up but the ability of them to consistently build their own core is a huge piece of their philosophy.  You can add GB to this mix too over the years.

Well 3 of the teams that you mentioned have HOF QBs (GB, Seattle, NE) which cover a lot of holes and cause complacency and give greater margin for error.  GB absolutely wasted the SB window of Rodgers by not participating in FA and blowing picks meant to replace guys who they alliwed to walk , and Seattle saw their dominant roster diminish to a great QB and little more because of their failures in the draft and FA.  Seattle seems to be one and done for the most part recently, and GB has not been to the playoffs in years.

Baltimore has done a good job of maintaining depth, I'm not sure about Philadelphia because it always seems to me that players are walking in the door more than they are walking out.

Edited by abc2330

4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Well 3 of the teams that you mentioned have HOF QBs (GB, Seattle, NE) which cover a lot of holes and cause complacency and give greater margin for error.  GB absolutely wasted the SB window of Rodgers by not participating in FA and blowing picks meant to replace guys who they alliwed to walk , and Seattle saw their dominant roster diminish to a great QB and little more because of their failures in the draft and FA.  Seattle seems to be one and done for the most part recently, and GB has not been to the playoffs in years.

Baltimore has done a good job of maintaining depth, I'm not sure about Philadelphia because it always seems to me that players are walking in the door more than they are walking out.

Seattle's dominant roster (primarily defense) got old and expensive.  They had no choice but to reboot it. 

GB made the playoffs 8 years in a row until 2017/2018 drought.  I should have added Pittsburgh too as a team using this primary model.

No disagreement that teams with great QB's have more leeway.  That's what every team ideally wants.  I'd add that nearly all of these teams found their HOF QB's when they had established QB's in place, in part because they had draft picks available to make such moves.

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I would say the roster hasn’t really been “stable” until this year. Last year at the earliest. 

I think it is reasonable to state that we now have a solid roster vs the dumpster fire from 4 years ago...

If* JRob's vision is to chase comp picks as Phase II of the roster build for sustained excellence, he now is in position to do so without becoming uncompetitive...

*Of course we are guessing as to JRob's philosophy...we will have to wait and see...

Edited by ChemEngr79

1 hour ago, ChemEngr79 said:

I think it is reasonable to state that we now have a solid roster vs the dumpster fire from 4 years ago...

If* JRob's vision is to chase comp picks as Phase II of the roster build for sustained excellence, he now is in position to do so without becoming uncompetitive...

*Of course we are guessing as to JRob's philosophy...we will have to wait and see...

Plus , we can pick up players through trades or that have been released without affecting comp picks.. 

What's the prevailing wisdom on who the 17th opponent would be? the matchups where a team plays the same placed teams from the two inter-conference divisions they don't play is effectively random, so perhaps a random opponent from the other conference?

18 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Playoffs? Playoffs

#1 Quarterback

#2 Running back

#3 Right Tackle

#4 Cornerback

#5 Coaching Staff

Good to great?

Playoffs: We're in a week to week pattern now. I'm just going to enjoy the next opponent match up. The playoffs will sort themselves out but I def expect this team to win more than they lose the rest of the way and it's an indictment to the staff if they don't. 

QB: I def sign RT to a 3 year deal or so. He's the starter in 2020. Then you try and get a young QB but I wouldn't go crazy forcing it. 

RB: They def need a RB and I'd make it a priority. They need a guy who can be a weapon in the passing game. I'd let Henry test the market and offer him a deal assuming he doesn't get a monster deal. I can't imagine anyone will give him a big offer. I'd prefer to see him in a platoon role like he had with Murray where he closes out games. 

RT: I think they have to try to keep Conklin and might need to franchise him. 

CB: Obviously you want to keep Ryan but he has all the leverage and it might come down to Ryan vs Conklin for the franchise tag. If he's dead set on leaving there might not be a lot you can do. 

Coaching staff: As of right now I think you keep everything the same if you can aside from some possible positional type change. Let Smith keep learning on the job and improving.  Do they need to replace Carter? I really don't know. 

Good to great was a stupid thing to say from the start

• Jonboy unpinned this topic