Sign in to follow this  
Rolltide

2019 College football playoff picture...

I start this thread after week 10 of the college season in which every team has at least 9 games completed. I'm going to give in order my picks for which teams have the best chance at making the playoffs based on schedule and talent. You certainly retain the right to disagree. Note that these rankings are based on the chances of the team making the playoff not on who is the best team. 9 teams still have a chance to make that final 4

1. Clemson-Clemson should be able to finish off it's last 3 opponents and while some may argue that 7-2 Wake forest and 7-2 Virginia(ACC championship game) might be more than just speed bumps along the way they should not be much trouble for a team this talented. 

2. LSU-Even with a let down this week they should have no problem with Ole Miss. Arkansas is one of the worst SEC teams in years. A&M could be a legit threat in the final game but even a loss in that game does not thwart LSU's chances because they still win the west. It would still come down to the sec championship vs Georgia. Alabama's best chance is if LSU runs the table and finishes 13-0. An LSU loss to Georgia eliminates Bama. 

3. Ohio State- Buckeyes have not played anybody yet. They do finish with a gauntlet of Penn St. , Michigan and then Minnesota in the big ten championship. One loss in any of those games might leave them on the outside looking in like before. 

4. Alabama-If Bama wins out and LSU does not lose I think Bama is in. Nobody has a loss as credible as Bama's. If LSU loses to A&M things get dicey for Bama. If LSU loses to Georgia and fails to win the SEC Bama is eliminated. Go LSU!

5. Penn State-Penn State has a simple road to the playoffs. Win out and then revenge beat Minnesota in the big ten championship. Problem is they have to beat Ohio State to get there. If that all happens for them they will be in the playoffs. 

6. Georgia-If Georgia wins out they are in the playoffs period!  The problem is that they have 2 tough opponents left in the regular season(Auburn, A&M) and then they would have to beat LSU. Good luck. There is no other way for them having already lost to South Carolina. It is all or nothing for them. 

7. Oregon-Oregon has 3 mediocre at best teams left in the regular season. Then they would likely meet Utah in the conference championship. There just is not a high regard for that conference and Oregon despite a 12-1 record would not have many quality wins. The problem also is that their loss is to Auburn a team that lost to LSU and will have lost to Alabama if either of those teams are compared to Oregon. I think a 12-1 Alabama or a 12-1 LSU gets in ahead of them at 12-1. 

8. Oklahoma-Big 12 title aside I think Bama gets the playoff nod over Oklahoma if both teams finish 12-1. Bama's loss to LSU is much more credible than Oklahoma's loss to Kansas State and Oklahoma just barely got past Iowa State. If LSU were to lose the sec title game to Georgia than LSU probably beats out Oklahoma for a spot also. Oklahoma has a really tough schedule to end the year. They have unbeaten Baylor, TCU and Ok St. Then likely Baylor again in the big 12 championship. 

9. Baylor- How many people really believe that Baylor is a playoff caliber team? We will find out this week when they play Oklahoma and then Texas the next week. I'm assuming they lose one of those games. If they finish in 1st or 2nd place in the conference they have to play Oklahoma again in the big 12 championship. If they beat Texas and Oklahoma 2X they will indeed deserve a playoff spot. 

Edited by Rolltide

I probably should have included Utah who only have one loss and are ranked 8th. 

To give people an idea how bad the pac 12 is look at UCLA. They are 4-2 in the conference and 1-3 in games outside the conference. UCLA has lost to Cincinnati, San Diego State and were blown out by Oklahoma. 

It is going to be hard for Bama to get in this year. I guess anything is possible but I think the winner of Oregon/Utah or Oregon are getting in. And the only way the SEC gets in 2 is if UGA wins out and the second team in will be LSU....

Ohio St. has the best overall team.  Clemson can probably play with them  LSU's defense is too weak to hold up In the playoffs, barring a lot of turnovers.  None of the others have a real shot.

The #4 team is going to be relatively weak.  The battle for the #1 spot is important because the loser of that battle will likely have to play Clemson in the semis.

Bama will win today and 2 top teams will lose. Oklahoma could lose to Ok State. I think Michigan can beat Ohio State they are playing really well. Wisconsin and Minnesota play today. 

I'll be cheering hard for LSU over Georgia next week. 

Nobody can say that Utah is better than Bama even with Jones at QB. The hope is that Oregon beats them next week. Utah's loss is to USC. 

Oh well Alabama just gave up 20 points to the Auburn offense in the first half. They got totally screwed on that last FG but does it really matter? Auburn is not even good on offense. 

Playoffs do not matter when you have 1st rd nfl prospects sucking ass in big games. Nothing has changed. 

Shameful performance all around. 13 penalties, piss poor defense. Probably 5 first rd picks starting on that defense and they cannot stop any good team. Still cannot find a field goal kicker worth a shit. The Auburn kicker had missed 60% of his kicks this season but for this game he was the god of kicking. 

Auburn wanted it more.

Most people saw this as a 20-17 type defensive struggle. Auburn had a great defense, was mediocre on offense and Bama did not have Tua.

To think that Bama's offense with Mac Jones could score 38 on that Auburn defense and still lose is mind boggling. Of course Mac threw 2 TDs to the others team that was a big part of it. Even giving up 2 pick 6 plays Bama should have won. 

Had the idiot kicker made that easy 30 yard FG and it went into overtime Bama would have had a big advantage. Their offense ran 77 plays on that Auburn defense which was banged up. 

Auburn had the balls to play tough when they needed to even while tired and Bama did not. 

Edited by Rolltide