Derrick Henry

GLinks

4 minutes ago, big2033 said:

It seems like the YAC WR position is already AJ Brown's to lose and he makes big plays. Humphries is our slot. What is Davis? 

He's supposed to be a do it WR that gets open regularly vs one on over coverage and can win you some 50/50 balls. Where I'm split on him is that when you watch the all-22 you see him routinely getting open. He was straight up abusing CBs but Mariota wouldn't throw it.

Now we have a QB who is actually more aggressive than normal but Davis isn't getting the targets from him either. The meager amount of targets that he and Brown get also complicates the assessment of Davis. I'm often left to think "what would Davis look like in an offense like Philly or even Tampa"? My guess is he'd look like every bit of the #1 we drafted but then again if we're never going to use him like that, it makes no sense to sign him for huge money. It's a mess.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well rounded backs are ideal and it'd be nice to have a Dalvin Cook. The problem is that those guys are damn near impossible to find and we currently have a RB that can take over a game and then close

He’s the best weapon on offense. Can’t lose him. 

Letting Henry walk would be the same mistake that Chicago made getting rid of Jordan Howard. The Bears lost their physicality, their offensive identity, their complimentary ball control offense to go

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Belichick runs one of the most versatile offenses and he doesn't stick to one back specifically.

James White, their pass-catching RB got 9 carries compared to Sony Michel their first round pick versus the Ravens.

It's doubtful Belichick would pay Henry top dollar.

NE splits carries because they don't have a back like Henry. Corey Dillon wasnt splitting carries in NE. NE hasn't had a HB stay healthy enough to get a bunch of carries since Dillon. Maroney, Ridley, all of them got hurt. Michel has even been hurt. This isn't an argument. BB runs the same Erhardt Perkins scheme he learned under his dad and Parcells back in the 70s and 80s. The reason he is successful is because he knows how to  game plan and make in-game adjustments. When BB has a HB he uses them. Blount got 299 carries under BB in 2016. The next closest back was Lewis who had 64. Stop with the bullshit. 

Just now, GOAT9 said:

NE splits carries because they don't have a back like Henry. Corey Dillon wasnt splitting carries in NE. NE hasn't had a HB stay healthy enough to get a bunch of carries since Dillon. Maroney, Ridley, all of them got hurt. Michel has even been hurt. This isn't an argument. BB runs the same Erhardt Perkins scheme he learned under his dad and Parcells back in the 70s and 80s. The reason he is successful is because he knows how to  game plan and make in-game adjustments. When BB has a HB he uses them. Blount got 299 carries under BB in 2016. The next closest back was Lewis who had 64. Stop with the bullshit. 

I dig what you're saying but BB has ALWAYS been a running back by committee guy and he would never pay Henry (or any back really) top dollar. He's cheap as fuck and makes it work no matter whose toting the rock. Having Brady back there gives him the luxury of sending guys like Lewis packing. 

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

I dig what you're saying but BB has ALWAYS been a running back by committee guy and he would never pay Henry (or any back really) top dollar. He's cheap as fuck and makes it work no matter whose toting the rock. Having Brady back there gives him the luxury of sending guys like Lewis packing. 

Again, that is wrong. BB has not been a running by committee guy. When he has an every down back that guy gets the ball. That post referenced Dillion and Blount. So the reference and proof is already there. If BB is going by committee, it is because he doesn't have a good enough back to go with one and he is making it work. 

12 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Dillion was on the Pats 15 years ago.....lol

And he got more carries under BB than he did as a Bengal. A career high 345. Blount was 3 years ago. Whats your excuse for that one? Mark Ingram is a more limited back than Henry is. I don't see him limiting the Ravens offense. In fact he is probably one of the biggest reasons for the Ravens success. 

4 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

And he got more carries under BB than he did as a Bengal. A career high 345. Blount was 3 years ago. Whats your excuse for that one? Mark Ingram is a more limited back than Henry is. I don't see him limiting the Ravens offense. In fact he is probably one of the biggest reasons for the Ravens success. 

Using any RB stat from 15 years ago is not a good comparison.

Ingram has three seasons of 45 or more catches so I'm not sure how he's a more limited back.

15 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

Blount was 3 years ago. Whats your excuse for that one? 

Excuse? He was plucked off the trash heap and paid 700+k a season. The year Blount had 1100 yards for NE White and Lewis added 9 starts compared to LB's 8 starts. White and Lewis had 100+ carries and 110 targets. Blount was a part of  3 man RB rotation. Blount helps my cause not yours. 

NE paid and used their RBs exactly like I'd like to see the Titans do. Henry has a role imo, but it's not with a monster contract and a bell cow RB. 

7 minutes ago, titaninpgh said:

Adrian Peterson has always been terrible in the passing game. Jamal Lewis wasn’t much of a passing game threat. Steven Jackson was decent in the passing game and had one huge year. Frank Gore usually catches 10-40 passes per season. Marshawn Lynch usually caught 20-30 passes per season. 

Those players are not the reason their teams didn’t win Super Bowls every single year. And not many of them could take screens to the house. 

The Lynch comparison is apt. That offense absolutely rode beast mode and he was never considered a real threat in the passing game. They never needed him to be one since they had Wilson and receivers that hot the job done.

55 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Excuse? He was plucked off the trash heap and paid 700+k a season. The year Blount had 1100 yards for NE White and Lewis added 9 starts compared to LB's 8 starts. White and Lewis had 100+ carries and 110 targets. Blount was a part of  3 man RB rotation. Blount helps my cause not yours. 

NE paid and used their RBs exactly like I'd like to see the Titans do. Henry has a role imo, but it's not with a monster contract and a bell cow RB. 

The Patriots have Tom Brady and Dante Scarnecchia though, they can afford to skimp and rotate at that position and not risk having a losing team. 

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

The Patriots have Tom Brady and Dante Scarnecchia though, they can afford to skimp and rotate at that position and not risk having a losing team. 

Yup. The Patriots would let Henry walk without a thought and be fine. I'm not sure we have the same luxury. If we also already had a great passing game I'd be fine letting him go but as things stand he's head and shoulders our best offensive player and we lean heavily on him partly due to necessity.