Derrick Henry

GLinks

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well rounded backs are ideal and it'd be nice to have a Dalvin Cook. The problem is that those guys are damn near impossible to find and we currently have a RB that can take over a game and then close

He’s the best weapon on offense. Can’t lose him. 

Letting Henry walk would be the same mistake that Chicago made getting rid of Jordan Howard. The Bears lost their physicality, their offensive identity, their complimentary ball control offense to go

6 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Hmm the coaches dont ask Henry to do something because it’s not in the playbook.

It’s almost as if they don’t ask him to do it or have it in the playbook because he can’t/sucks at doing it. 

If you go back and look at Packers RB Aaron Jones in 2018...his role in the passing game was virtually identical to that of the Titans' RBs:  traditional RB pass routes comprised almost entirely of screen passes, flares, and check downs.

This year has been a completely different story, as Jones has been used as a downfield/deep threat on a regular basis.   I haven't followed it or kept up with the numbers....but over the Packers' first 6-7 games, Jones was targeted 20+ yards downfield as frequently as he was targeted behind the LOS, resulting in multiple chunk plays and a couple long touchdowns.   

The funny part is, Jones isn't doing anything particularly advanced or running sharp, precise WR routes....he's just running down the sideline.   But the fact that it's been so effective indicates that Matt LaFleur came to an amazing realization this offseason:   if you get a fast RB matched up against a LB in single man coverage, he doesn't have to run sharp, precise routes or the entire route tree.    He just has to run faster than the LB.

Henry is without a doubt the best player on this offense. The OL coaching needs changed and they need to improve on play-calling. The talent is there to be good, it just needs to be put together and executed properly. Upgrading some OL spots and the QB spot would help. This Henry needs replaced BS is idiocy. You don't get rid of HBs that can bust defenses wide open like this. 

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Hardman looked like he was about to hit 88 mph on that touchdown run and you're telling me Henry was merely 6 tenths of a second slower in almost the same distance?

Nope, nope, nope. FAKE NEWS! Not gonna believe it.

no way smh GIF

danny devito smh GIF

spongebob squarepants no GIF

Edited by NashvilleNinja

Everyone knows Lewis is done, well except the staff who tried to feature him a week ago. No one is saying play Lewis over Henry

Because the Titans won and Henry had a lot of yards does not negate the problems with running an offense through a 2 down RB. The Titans were lucky yesterday, they got beaten in time of possession by 15 minutes.

This doesn't mean Henry can't be useful but it's not as a featured bell cow RB. He should compliment an every down RB who can play in any situation. 

Henry is best used like he was when Murray was here. The problem is how much money will he demand and what role does he want. 

f they give him a big contract and try to feature him it will be regretful 

5 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Hardman looked like he was about to hit 88 mph on that touchdown run and you're telling me Henry was merely 6 tenths of a second slower in almost the same distance?

Nope, nope, nope. FAKE NEWS! Not gonna believe it.

no way smh GIF

danny devito smh GIF

spongebob squarepants no GIF

It's not 6 tenths of a second, it's .6 mph. Very different.

8 hours ago, big2033 said:

This is all well and good @Mythos27 but then don't be surprised about the way this offense is run. Including numerous runs on first down. 

It feels good after a win but let go back to a week ago where everyone had lost it with the way this team plays.

Expect runs at eight-man fronts to establish the run.

The offense isn't limited by Henry. They can open up it up like they did vs Atlanta and the Chargers when they gameplan it. I reject the idea that we can either have a good passing game or Derrick Henry. In fact, our 3 best passing games ATL, the Chargers, and CAR came on the back of strong Henry performances of 100, 90, and 63 yards respectively. In those games the QBs had  27+ attempts and threw for 227 and 3 tds, 312 and 2 tds, and 331 for 1 td respectively.

I'm not particularly dogmatic when it comes to offenses and I'm not married to some wide open spread offense. If that's the way we end up going, fine; if not also fine. There is more than one way to win in the NFL. The Chiefs are the poster child for "how to win" in the NFL but despite having HOF level talent at the QB spot are 6-4 and just got dominated by the most limited back in the league according to some. Meanwhile, the Ravens whose offense many (including myself) laughed at and called unsustainable are 7-2 and beat the shit out of a dynastic team with the GOAT QB at the helm. If Tannehill keeps balling we can have a dominant run game and a good passing game. 

7 hours ago, nine said:

The funny part is, Jones isn't doing anything particularly advanced or running sharp, precise WR routes....he's just running down the sideline.   But the fact that it's been so effective indicates that Matt LaFleur came to an amazing realization this offseason:   if you get a fast RB matched up against a LB in single man coverage, he doesn't have to run sharp, precise routes or the entire route tree.    He just has to run faster than the LB.

You can look at NE too. Dion Lewis was incredibly dangerous there and the main routes he ran were just stab and sneak routes which are pretty much just routes where he starts out looking like he’s going to the flat and then cuts up field or cuts into the middle of the defense. Two routes is all it took for Dion to be deadly in the passing attack. He’s been terrible here but it’s pretty amazing how rarely he’s run those routes as a titan. 

To your point, Austin Ekeler took our lunch money just moving around until he was matched up on a slow LB in space. Henry could absolutely do that.

52 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The offense isn't limited by Henry. They can open up it up like they did vs Atlanta and the Chargers when they gameplan it. I reject the idea that we can either have a good passing game or Derrick Henry. In fact, our 3 best passing games ATL, the Chargers, and CAR came on the back of strong Henry performances of 100, 90, and 63 yards respectively. In those games the QBs had  27+ attempts and threw for 227 and 3 tds, 312 and 2 tds, and 331 for 1 td respectively.

I'm not particularly dogmatic when it comes to offenses and I'm not married to some wide open spread offense. If that's the way we end up going, fine; if not also fine. There is more than one way to win in the NFL. The Chiefs are the poster child for "how to win" in the NFL but despite having HOF level talent at the QB spot are 6-4 and just got dominated by the most limited back in the league according to some. Meanwhile, the Ravens whose offense many (including myself) laughed at and called unsustainable are 7-2 and beat the shit out of a dynastic team with the GOAT QB at the helm. If Tannehill keeps balling we can have a dominant run game and a good passing game. 

Not to mention NE was on pace to having the greatest defense of all time before that Baltimore game. 

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

I cant believe they have never even tried to have Henry in motion and just run a go route down the sideline. 

Just like @nine said the Packers are using Jones.

They lined him up out wide I think last week or the week before. Not sure what route he ran though. 

11 minutes ago, Thrill said:

You can look at NE too. Dion Lewis was incredibly dangerous there and the main routes he ran were just stab and sneak routes which are pretty much just routes where he starts out looking like he’s going to the flat and then cuts up field or cuts into the middle of the defense. Two routes is all it took for Dion to be deadly in the passing attack. He’s been terrible here but it’s pretty amazing how rarely he’s run those routes as a titan. 

To your point, Austin Ekeler took our lunch money just moving around until he was matched up on a slow LB in space. Henry could absolutely do that.

The question is can Henry make that catch on a wheel route down the field if targeted. His hands are pretty average so I understand why people aren't confident in that. I'm fine with giving him a shot or two at some down the field stuff to see if he can do it but honestly, I think just using him on traditional RB routes is more prudent and I think he can be very successful doing that. I don't think having a RB to run wheels and skinny posts is as big a necessity as some on this board do.