OILERMAN

Where is Jon Robinson? He's gone silent

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I'm not going to put Lewan's play on coaching.

 

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

 

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

 

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

 

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

 

I think getting paid and getting caught on PED's are the much bigger components than coaching, especially at LT.  He's getting whipped one on one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

 

I think getting paid and getting caught on PED's are the much bigger components than coaching, especially at LT.  He's getting whipped one on one.

 

No arguments with the PED suspension, just think when over 2yrs basically every OL here have seen their individual level of play decline under Keith Carter its past time to question what is going on coaching wise regarding the OL.

 

Will also add its not just Keith Carter the QB and offensive scheme/play calling haven't helped this OL as well.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone who thinks Jrob is on the hot seat are out of their minds. There's definitely a chink in his armor-- I haven't heard so many in Jrob we trust anymore-- but he's far from the hot seat. He received a contract extension in 2018 to extend to 2022. The organization is not going to jump ship a year later. 

 

Vrabel would be the one on the hot seat but unless the season blows up he'll be safe. As a fan, all I want is for them to admit the offensive coaching staff is a problem and move on. If Vrabel doesn't improve next year he's gone. If Titans don't go to the playoffs again in 2020 then Jrob is on the hot seat. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If JRob is smart he'll draft a QB OTF so he can milk a few years on developing "his guy". If he fails to find coaches who can develop his guy, he's shit canned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think either guy is in danger of getting fired after the season since both Robinson and Vrabel  are under contract through 2022.  From a financial perspective, that buys them time but 2020 will be very much a referendum on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

 

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

 

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

Thats it! All we have 2 do is clone ben jones twice and out iol will be decent.

 

Ima go find another beer now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was worried about J-Rob three years ago. He's spotted s-o-m-e talent but so does everyone. He gave up too much draft capital in his headlong pursuit of "favorites" that no one in the league is really oohing or aahing about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JRob made two bad decisions which have contributed the greatest to the poor start; giving Mariota the starting job with no competition and we have no way of knowing how ownership and investment considerations played into that decision; and they took the word of the medical staff/kicker that the kicker was fine and would be good to go starting week one. If those two decisions had been made correctly, we'd have a winning record and all these discussions about OC, OL, coaching and players would be nowhere the big deal they are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tnasty said:

Everyone who thinks Jrob is on the hot seat are out of their minds. There's definitely a chink in his armor-- I haven't heard so many in Jrob we trust anymore-- but he's far from the hot seat. He received a contract extension in 2018 to extend to 2022. The organization is not going to jump ship a year later. 

 

Vrabel would be the one on the hot seat but unless the season blows up he'll be safe. As a fan, all I want is for them to admit the offensive coaching staff is a problem and move on. If Vrabel doesn't improve next year he's gone. If Titans don't go to the playoffs again in 2020 then Jrob is on the hot seat. 

 

I don't like coaching carousels, and if Vrabel is willing to concede control of the offense outside of a very generic direction (make sure this drive eats clock, make sure this drive we score quickly, etc) then so be it, but since we should probably be blowing up the offensive staff anyway I wouldn't be upset if we canned Vrabel and brought in someone like John DeFilipo (e.g.) to be HC. I hope we wouldn't lose Pees, but even if we did it might be worth it to build an offense here that is actually modern.

 

I just hope JRob figures out what the right path is and guides everything that direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

 

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

 

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

Lets see, JRob built a decent O-Line based on a man/power scheme, drafted Conklin and signed Jones and Kline to play in it, traded DGB for Kelly and dumped Warmack,...  And they looked pretty good.

Then came Carter.

But then he got talked into switching to the ZBS, he extended Kline, extended Jones, gave a massive contract to Lewan, let Spain walk, and watched Conk regress while he failed to sign another true in-line blocking TE, and then overpaid bigly for Saffold.

 

When it comes to the O-Line, JRob is 50:50 at best, and I'd say he's actually worse than that.

The trend is definitely downward ATM.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheBukafax said:

Wilks or Lafleur. Not sure which one you didn’t know about lol.

wilks. i remember everyone saying roony rule but couldnt remember who it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BudAdams said:

 

Based on what?  Fisher didn't get complete control of the coaching staff until his extension after 1999.

 

To think Robinson didn't have heavy influence on the OC hires is laughable.  His hands are all over this entire football product. 

laughable how little you pay attention to the current situation. fisher was 20 years ago and not best buddies with the GM... and vrabel was forced into his first OC hire.. silly to do it 2x.

 

sure, i bet it was a collective decision for smith considering Amy's plans for mariota.

But if you are smart, you know Vrabel has been chasing Day for 2 years now and even asked him personally 2x in 2 years to be the OC. Vrabel had control. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Lets see, JRob built a decent O-Line based on a man/power scheme, drafted Conklin and signed Jones and Kline to play in it, traded DGB for Kelly and dumped Warmack,...  And they looked pretty good.

Then came Carter.

But then he got talked into switching to the ZBS, he extended Kline, extended Jones, gave a massive contract to Lewan, let Spain walk, and watched Conk regress while he failed to sign another true in-line blocking TE, and then overpaid bigly for Saffold.

 

When it comes to the O-Line, JRob is 50:50 at best, and I'd say he's actually worse than that.

The trend is definitely downward ATM.

I think the problem stems from the scheme. he's having to draft guys to do both man and zone... when they are only good at one thing. we need to pick a scheme and go with it. been disjointed scheme-wise since wiz left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, titanruss said:

laughable how little you pay attention to the current situation. fisher was 20 years ago and not best buddies with the GM... and vrabel was forced into his first OC hire.. silly to do it 2x.

 

sure, i bet it was a collective decision for smith considering Amy's plans for mariota.

But if you are smart, you know Vrabel has been chasing Day for 2 years now and even asked him personally 2x in 2 years to be the OC. Vrabel had control. 

 

 


No it’s laughable that you think first time HC Vrabel has complete control of his coaching staff.   Mularkey did but of course he didn’t report to Robinson like Vrabel does.  
 

Did Vrabel want Day initially?  Yes because they are buddies from Ohio State and he runs an RPO offense that dumb dumb in theory could QB  in scheme wise. Day of course made the wise decision to stay since he was in line to replace Meyer at a job more prestigious than with the Titans.

 

It”a just as comical for people to blame coaching and scheme fit for underachieving players given Robinson picks the players and hired the coaches, including LaFleur who in turn brought the zone blocking scheme AND Carter.

 

Robinson is knee deep in all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.