Where is Jon Robinson? He's gone silent

OILERMAN

3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

I think getting paid and getting caught on PED's are the much bigger components than coaching, especially at LT.  He's getting whipped one on one.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's probably starting to fear he botched the coaching hire.

Mularkey wasn't as bad a coach as some made him out to be here but he was a baby back bitch and straight 'crybabied' his way out of multiple jobs.  

Careful what you wish for. For all of his faults, he put together the team that got to within one game of a Super Bowl. The last thing we need is a pissed off & motivated JRob, who has also learne

8 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I think getting paid and getting caught on PED's are the much bigger components than coaching, especially at LT.  He's getting whipped one on one.

No arguments with the PED suspension, just think when over 2yrs basically every OL here have seen their individual level of play decline under Keith Carter its past time to question what is going on coaching wise regarding the OL.

Will also add its not just Keith Carter the QB and offensive scheme/play calling haven't helped this OL as well.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Everyone who thinks Jrob is on the hot seat are out of their minds. There's definitely a chink in his armor-- I haven't heard so many in Jrob we trust anymore-- but he's far from the hot seat. He received a contract extension in 2018 to extend to 2022. The organization is not going to jump ship a year later. 

Vrabel would be the one on the hot seat but unless the season blows up he'll be safe. As a fan, all I want is for them to admit the offensive coaching staff is a problem and move on. If Vrabel doesn't improve next year he's gone. If Titans don't go to the playoffs again in 2020 then Jrob is on the hot seat. 

41 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Under Keith Carter basically every OL here apart from Ben Jones have seen their level of play decline.

Lewan comes with his own set of issues but you can't totally just write off coaching as playing some part in his decline in play.

Thats it! All we have 2 do is clone ben jones twice and out iol will be decent.

Ima go find another beer now.

JRob made two bad decisions which have contributed the greatest to the poor start; giving Mariota the starting job with no competition and we have no way of knowing how ownership and investment considerations played into that decision; and they took the word of the medical staff/kicker that the kicker was fine and would be good to go starting week one. If those two decisions had been made correctly, we'd have a winning record and all these discussions about OC, OL, coaching and players would be nowhere the big deal they are now.

3 minutes ago, Tnasty said:

Everyone who thinks Jrob is on the hot seat are out of their minds. There's definitely a chink in his armor-- I haven't heard so many in Jrob we trust anymore-- but he's far from the hot seat. He received a contract extension in 2018 to extend to 2022. The organization is not going to jump ship a year later. 

Vrabel would be the one on the hot seat but unless the season blows up he'll be safe. As a fan, all I want is for them to admit the offensive coaching staff is a problem and move on. If Vrabel doesn't improve next year he's gone. If Titans don't go to the playoffs again in 2020 then Jrob is on the hot seat. 

I don't like coaching carousels, and if Vrabel is willing to concede control of the offense outside of a very generic direction (make sure this drive eats clock, make sure this drive we score quickly, etc) then so be it, but since we should probably be blowing up the offensive staff anyway I wouldn't be upset if we canned Vrabel and brought in someone like John DeFilipo (e.g.) to be HC. I hope we wouldn't lose Pees, but even if we did it might be worth it to build an offense here that is actually modern.

I just hope JRob figures out what the right path is and guides everything that direction.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Lets see, JRob built a decent O-Line based on a man/power scheme, drafted Conklin and signed Jones and Kline to play in it, traded DGB for Kelly and dumped Warmack,...  And they looked pretty good.

Then came Carter.

But then he got talked into switching to the ZBS, he extended Kline, extended Jones, gave a massive contract to Lewan, let Spain walk, and watched Conk regress while he failed to sign another true in-line blocking TE, and then overpaid bigly for Saffold.

When it comes to the O-Line, JRob is 50:50 at best, and I'd say he's actually worse than that.

The trend is definitely downward ATM.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

8 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Based on what?  Fisher didn't get complete control of the coaching staff until his extension after 1999.

To think Robinson didn't have heavy influence on the OC hires is laughable.  His hands are all over this entire football product. 

laughable how little you pay attention to the current situation. fisher was 20 years ago and not best buddies with the GM... and vrabel was forced into his first OC hire.. silly to do it 2x.

sure, i bet it was a collective decision for smith considering Amy's plans for mariota.

But if you are smart, you know Vrabel has been chasing Day for 2 years now and even asked him personally 2x in 2 years to be the OC. Vrabel had control. 

2 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Lets see, JRob built a decent O-Line based on a man/power scheme, drafted Conklin and signed Jones and Kline to play in it, traded DGB for Kelly and dumped Warmack,...  And they looked pretty good.

Then came Carter.

But then he got talked into switching to the ZBS, he extended Kline, extended Jones, gave a massive contract to Lewan, let Spain walk, and watched Conk regress while he failed to sign another true in-line blocking TE, and then overpaid bigly for Saffold.

When it comes to the O-Line, JRob is 50:50 at best, and I'd say he's actually worse than that.

The trend is definitely downward ATM.

I think the problem stems from the scheme. he's having to draft guys to do both man and zone... when they are only good at one thing. we need to pick a scheme and go with it. been disjointed scheme-wise since wiz left. 

8 hours ago, titanruss said:

laughable how little you pay attention to the current situation. fisher was 20 years ago and not best buddies with the GM... and vrabel was forced into his first OC hire.. silly to do it 2x.

sure, i bet it was a collective decision for smith considering Amy's plans for mariota.

But if you are smart, you know Vrabel has been chasing Day for 2 years now and even asked him personally 2x in 2 years to be the OC. Vrabel had control. 

No it’s laughable that you think first time HC Vrabel has complete control of his coaching staff.   Mularkey did but of course he didn’t report to Robinson like Vrabel does.  

Did Vrabel want Day initially?  Yes because they are buddies from Ohio State and he runs an RPO offense that dumb dumb in theory could QB  in scheme wise. Day of course made the wise decision to stay since he was in line to replace Meyer at a job more prestigious than with the Titans.

It”a just as comical for people to blame coaching and scheme fit for underachieving players given Robinson picks the players and hired the coaches, including LaFleur who in turn brought the zone blocking scheme AND Carter.

Robinson is knee deep in all of this.

J-Rob has absolutely failed regarding the OL. There is no question about it. He did more to try to address it this off-season but he royally messed it up last off season by thinking that the inside trio of Spain, Jones, and Kline was good enough. I had high hopes for Nate Davis but that seems to have been a swing and a miss and we pretty clearly overpaid for Saffold as Quinton Spain is having a really good season for the Bills and literally just made PFF's team of the week by posting a grade of 80.7.