In 2019 how is it possible to not game plan deep shots on offense

AussieTitanFan08

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Dont get me wrong. Lewis is done however he was effective in his snaps yesterday unlike the rest of the year. I'm not arguing he should more involved...

I don't entirely disagree. I liked how he looked running and I get what they were trying to accomplish. I just don't trust him anymore and don't want him on the field on 2nd and 3. If you want to show that you can run and pass effectively with any back on this roster it should be Henry and him being more effective than Lewis in the passing game for two years running should make this an easy call. 

Btw, what did you think o Art Smith today? I get the feeling you didn't think he was a complete dumpster fire like the rest of the board.

Edited by Mythos27

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How can they not even target Davis? Robinson used the 5th pick in the draft for him and this can't be OK with him. I expected him to get 8-10 targets a game minimum. 

That assumes that Vrabel will want one and wants to change the offensive philosophy.    It's very possible that the reason Smith was hired wasn't because of continuity but because Vrabel kne

One of the reason LaFleur would have been better. A HC who runs the offense so you don't have to change OCs all the time. 

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

I don't entirely disagree. I liked how he looked running and I get what they were trying to accomplish. I just don't trust him anymore and don't want him on the field on 2nd and 3. If you want to show that you can run and pass effectively with any back on this roster it should be Henry and him being more effective than Lewis in the passing game for two years running should make this an easy call. 

They've already shown they can do both with Henry.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

They've already shown they can do both with Henry.

Gotcha. You responded before I could edit my last post. I added in: Btw, what did you think of Art Smith today? I get the feeling you didn't think he was a complete dumpster fire like the rest of the board.

Edited by Mythos27

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Gotcha. You responded before I could edit my last post. I added in: Btw, what did you think of Art Smith today? I get the feeling you didn't think he was a complete dumpster fire like the rest of the board.

Smith called a good game. Took some shots deep. Called some quick hitters to negate the pass rush amd so on. The damn players just couldn't execute in the 1st half. The gameplan was good in my opinion.

Just now, oldschool said:

Smith called a good game. Took some shots deep. Called some quick hitters to negate the pass rush amd so on. The damn players just couldn't execute in the 1st half. The gameplan was good in my opinion.

Bingo. People are going crazy and forgetting just how much penalties killed the offense in the first half.

15 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The gameplan was good in my opinion.

I'd say they could have won with the game plan had players not botched up so many plays. I wouldn't call it good though. They needed to run Henry against that weak run defense and they have to target Davis way more

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd say they could have won with the game plan had players not botched up so many plays. I wouldn't call it good though. They needed to run Henry against that weak run defense and they have to target Davis way more

How? They only ran 9 or 10 plays before the last min drive at the half. 

The penalties were terrible. But I don't think Smith called a great game, either. It was, however, better than the game he called the week before. Lewan is a liability right now. Top paid OT, but he holds constantly and does other boneheaded things. I'm not saying to cut him or trade him. But he needs to step up and take some responsibility and get it fixed. He's supposed to be a leader on the line.

I think oldschool is right about how the gameplan went, though. Lewis was running pretty well. I just don't like giving him the ball, overall. Smith wasn't the reason we had a fumble, all those penalties, etc in the first half. IDK if he was partly responsible for the INT. I don't have insight into the play design.

What I know is that the game was over at the half. We played a MUCH better second half, but it was just too late.

Lewis had a couple really nice plays yesterday....and 53 total yards from scrimmage was by far his biggest output since the Patriots game last year.   But the fumble pretty much negated the positive contributions he made as a runner and receiver.    Even in a game where he played reasonably well, there's still an ugly asterisk.

As utterly ineffective as Lewis had been over the last 12+ games....you almost wonder if his roster spot is in jeopardy and yesterday was his opportunity to show that he still has something left in the tank.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Yep. 

The bigger indictment on Smith, outside of game plans, is the lack of discipline on offense and how much offensive players are taking turns getting stupid penalties and fumbling the ball this year (or doing stupid shit like popping the ball up in the air for it to get intercepted). Or having consistent cadence and snapping issues. 

My concern is the seeming lack of preparedness and disjointedness of the offense in the additional context of lack of discipline across the board. I’m not sure how much Vrabel is to blame for it, as the offense was more disciplined last year, but perhaps he is a major culprit as Mularkey’s disciplined and hard nosed culture is now in the rearview. Clearly this team is not as disciplined overall as last year’s. 

Edited by tgo

There was that one play where CD was wide open on a stop/go....woulda been a TD but I think Tanny had to move in the pocket and threw it late.  The gameplan to me was a C-/D+, but poor execution (penaties, turnovers and missed plays) also lost us the game.  Everyone deserves blame for yesterday.

1 hour ago, VaTitan said:

There was that one play where CD was wide open on a stop/go....woulda been a TD but I think Tanny had to move in the pocket and threw it late.  The gameplan to me was a C-/D+, but poor execution (penaties, turnovers and missed plays) also lost us the game.  Everyone deserves blame for yesterday.

That was due to the OL getting their lunch eaten. I'm telling you, if you go into the All-22  you'll see so many plays that would've been huge had the OL not gotten bullied you'll want to puke. I understand that the standard time to get rid of the ball is between 2.5-3 seconds and that if you're consistently holding the ball longer than that it's tough on the OL but damn, you gotta be able to hold up longer then 2.5 seconds at least sometimes. The only time Tanny can actually let plays develop down field is after buying time with his feet, usually after just narrowly avoiding a sack.I'm ready to extend him just based on seeing how admirably he's dealt with the clusterfuck in front of him. 

4 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Smith had a nice flanker screen which I think you hate but it worked. He started working the outside. His main problem was not using Henry in the first half, and the penalties that kill drives. I think at one point Carolina had run 43 snaps to our 18 in the first half.

Yeah, I generally hate receiver screens but I really liked the mis-direction he used to set it up so I'll allow it! I think that penalties put us in way too many "Dion Lewis situations" which cut into Henry;'s opportunities. My problem with this is that going forward Henry shouldn't just automatically come out of the game because we have to pick up more than 10 for the first or because it's 3rd down. I know most here don't see him as a three down back but at this point we don't have much choice but to use him as one and hope he rises to the occasion because he really is our best/most consistent offensive player. 

I'm not sure how I feel -- I stopped watching significant parts of the game. But when I was watching, I felt like the playcalling wasn't the problem, nor was the usage of Lewis. He created some positive yards and allowed the offense to be more unpredictable (and I am not a fan of Lewis). But he fumbled, and everyone else botched the plays. 

The mental errors and lack of discipline were troubling; the playcalls looked to be working pretty well honestly. They simply didn't get many plays first half because the offense kept screwing up.

I can't blame Arthur Smith for Lewis fumbling (Henry fumbled last week too, so I can't be biased), Jonnu bobbling an easy 1st down, AJ Brown causing an INT, Davis face-masking, every kicker missing every kick, or Lewan getting his ass handed to him and committing non-stop penalties. It was a total team effort to ruin those drives. 

I'd like to think that Henry could have been successful earlier, but again -- it's not like everyone else wasn't open or wasn't gaining yards. With a new center, a RG who shouldn't be playing, and a newly anorexic LT off his PEDs, I'm not sure how successful the OL would have been blocking a stacked box. Of course, you'd think they'd do it and throw Corey Davis at least 1 back-shoulder pass.