What I want to see the FO do about the offense this offseason

kyle021

We will be bringing in a new FOTF at QB this offseason and with that I would like to see Vrabel bring in a better and more qualified OC to groom him. Someone who has success on a team with a potent offense and has been part of grooming a young QB into stardom. 

a few guys I’m looking at that are positional coaches that could jump forward into being an OC here and have the job of grooming an OC while it is likely Pees retires and Vrabes takes over full time DC while keeping Pees system intact and learning his system from the two years he has been here and getting “coaching” from Pees (Scenario I would love to see is Pees staying another year or at worst taking a step back to being assistant HC and defensive consultant to Vrabel being the full time HC and DC with input from Pees)

but I want to look at our options at OC who will be tasked with the job of grooming a you g QB and taking the offense to another level. 

As long as Tannehill continues his solid play my first option would be to keep him and let the young QB learn under him before taking the job or having a true competition. 

who would I want as OC? Here are a few names. 

Shane Waldron - Passing game coordinator for the Rams - He would bring familiarity to what LaFleur was installing and has had several years under McVay and will bring that system back to Tennessee and would likely be here for two years before bolting for a HC job. LaFleur was already a HC candidate before being our OC, and I believe he should’ve been our HC, but he wasn’t and Vrabel was a solid hire despite his ups and downs in his second year with management of games. Vrabel is a really good coach but he needs someone who will take over this offense and stick around for the growth of our new QB. Waldron has experience and is a bright mind. He comes from a very good pedigree of coaches. I think he would

be great for a young QB to develop and learn from and would be here for 2 years before taking a new job, or if things go right maybe Vrabels. 

Press Taylor - QB Coach Philly - He has been instrumental in developing Wentz and has been there since Pederson. I think he would be a very good option in taking over the OC job from Smith and would implement a system similar to what Philly runs and that is a damn good thing. Another guy who would be here for more than one year before taking off if things go the way they should. 

Dave Toub - ST Coach KC - probably more of a HC candidate but we could reel him in as OC for a year minimum (I would put a clause in his contract that he can’t leave until two years on the job) and offer him a 2 year deal as OC. He has been part of the system in KC for awhile and knows Reid’s system like the back of his hand. I would love to bring him in to develop this offense and new QB and take them to the next level. 

thats 3 guys I personally want as the next OC and tasked with the job of developing a young QB and giving this offense a modern look. 

another guy I like is Shane Day from the 49ers who is their QB coach or passing game coordinator i believe. 

if we brought in any of these guys we would be implementing an offense similar to LA Rams, KC, or Philly. 

I think any of these guys would be perfect for developing Eason, or Burrow or even a vet like Carr if Oakland decides to let him go. Stafford maybe or even Phillip Rivers. 

Who would you like to see?

32 minutes ago, Kyle021 said:

We will be bringing in a new FOTF at QB this offseason and with that I would like to see Vrabel bring in a better and more qualified OC to groom him. Someone who has success on a team with a potent offense and has been part of grooming a young QB into stardom. 

a few guys I’m looking at that are positional coaches that could jump forward into being an OC here and have the job of grooming an OC while it is likely Pees retires and Vrabes takes over full time DC while keeping Pees system intact and learning his system from the two years he has been here and getting “coaching” from Pees (Scenario I would love to see is Pees staying another year or at worst taking a step back to being assistant HC and defensive consultant to Vrabel being the full time HC and DC with input from Pees)

but I want to look at our options at OC who will be tasked with the job of grooming a you g QB and taking the offense to another level. 

As long as Tannehill continues his solid play my first option would be to keep him and let the young QB learn under him before taking the job or having a true competition. 

who would I want as OC? Here are a few names. 

Shane Waldron - Passing game coordinator for the Rams - He would bring familiarity to what LaFleur was installing and has had several years under McVay and will bring that system back to Tennessee and would likely be here for two years before bolting for a HC job. LaFleur was already a HC candidate before being our OC, and I believe he should’ve been our HC, but he wasn’t and Vrabel was a solid hire despite his ups and downs in his second year with management of games. Vrabel is a really good coach but he needs someone who will take over this offense and stick around for the growth of our new QB. Waldron has experience and is a bright mind. He comes from a very good pedigree of coaches. I think he would

be great for a young QB to develop and learn from and would be here for 2 years before taking a new job, or if things go right maybe Vrabels. 

Press Taylor - QB Coach Philly - He has been instrumental in developing Wentz and has been there since Pederson. I think he would be a very good option in taking over the OC job from Smith and would implement a system similar to what Philly runs and that is a damn good thing. Another guy who would be here for more than one year before taking off if things go the way they should. 

Dave Toub - ST Coach KC - probably more of a HC candidate but we could reel him in as OC for a year minimum (I would put a clause in his contract that he can’t leave until two years on the job) and offer him a 2 year deal as OC. He has been part of the system in KC for awhile and knows Reid’s system like the back of his hand. I would love to bring him in to develop this offense and new QB and take them to the next level. 

thats 3 guys I personally want as the next OC and tasked with the job of developing a young QB and giving this offense a modern look. 

another guy I like is Shane Day from the 49ers who is their QB coach or passing game coordinator i believe. 

if we brought in any of these guys we would be implementing an offense similar to LA Rams, KC, or Philly. 

I think any of these guys would be perfect for developing Eason, or Burrow or even a vet like Carr if Oakland decides to let him go. Stafford maybe or even Phillip Rivers. 

Who would you like to see?

Todd Downing our TE coach was an OC with Raiders at one time. Just a thought. Not saying I want him to be OC though. Would like young bright guy to work with young QB.

Joe Brady would be a great hire if we drafted Burrow. 

legit. 

The problem with that is... we would have to hire him months in advance of the draft and it would seriously tip our hat toward which QB we liked most in this draft. 

However that doesn’t mean the only QB he could develop would be Joe Burrow though. He would be a very good coach for any young QB. 

I think a QB to watch is seriously Derek Carr. I believe it’s clear Gruden is going to go forward without him, and will want his own guy. I think we would be fools if we didn’t bring him in and draft a developmental guy like Love in the 2nd or Eason in the 1st and let Eason sit behind him for a year. 

14 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Kyle, who really cares if hiring an OC tips our hand?  How is that even close to a concern?  If they thought he was the right guy you hire him.  

If we pay a guy like Carr we should not be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.  It makes zero sense.  The whole idea of signing a guy like Carr is so we don't have to burn a pick.  You don't bring in Carr so you can play Eason in a year.  My God Eason might not ever be as good as Carr.  

Do you think this stuff through?  Carr is going to be a $25 mil a year guy.  He isn't going to sign with some team (assuming he gets let go) to be the mentor for a guy out of college that might not even be able to carry his suitcase.  So how wrong can this post be?  

We can’t wait to hire Brady after the draft pending the possibility of drafting Burrow

Call me crazy, but I want absolutely no part in another positional coach to “groom” into an OC. It’s a completely different animal being in charge of a whole unit and calling all the shots, as opposed to a just strictly positional coach.   I want a proven play caller and and a guy that I know can get it done.  Whether that be an NFL guy or a college guy, who cares.  But no more first year OC’s. 

Despite the continuity argument, I believe that the truth was that no other established OC wanted to be chained to MM8 ..  so we were limited to begin with.. now Smith probably has a 10 game tryout with RT as the qb.. if it goes well, this will be the QB/OC for the next 2-3 years..so we will know soon enough..

The "offensive" offensive line has to be corrected for a passing offense rather than a power running game, IMO

The best case scenario for us is if Tanny plays well enough to extend. Then we can use our early pics on OL/OLB and maybe draft a developmental QB later...

Our roster is ready to compete now, and we will be an attractive location for any decent vets that hit the market (Tanny/Carr/Dalton(ugh)/etc).

Archived