Should we have hired Lafleur instead of Vrabel?

headhunter

Matt Lafleur or Mike Vrabel?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach should we have hired?

I dont play the what if game too often, but i gotta ask who we shouldve hired as head coach. One positive with Vrabel I will say is our defense. Its the best its been in over a decade and probably will be as long him and Pees stay here.

But on the other hand looks like we will be getting a young QB early in the draft and it wouldve been nice to surround him with a great coaching staff to learn under. I think we made a mistake with Vrabel instead of Lafleur because of that reason. I think Vrabel just wants a game manager and conservative offense. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Oiler in me wants to kick my butt, but I'd take Frank Reich over both of those choices.

Keep in mind, without Vrabel there's very little chance we have Pees; Vrabel talked him out of retirement.

I agree with Scine, you can't just judge a coach on his overall record.    I look at things like not having a QB competition in training camp so you can start the team's best QB, sticking wi

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I think Vrabel just wants a game manager and conservative offense. 

Nothing wrong with that philosophy when you have a good defense and a strong running game. It works more often than people think.

17 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

Keep in mind, without Vrabel there's very little chance we have Pees; Vrabel talked him out of retirement.

I agree.  You have to look at the entire package.  MLF looks like a genius right now coaching Aaron Rodgers.  I am really sold on Vrabel.  I know after the recent wins he's gotten some flack about a couple of his in game decisions  I think Vrabel is a football coach, a leader football players relate to and respond by playing their best.  Landry is coming on and Simmons has emerged as a beast.  Evans is playing at a high level.  Vrabel is still close enough to playing to understand what they face and feel everyday.

JRob is responsible to see that the team has elite coaches.  I don't see any reason to believe Vrabel is holding Arthur Smith's offense back.  JRob and Vrabel will have to decide how they want to approach building the offense going forward.  I don't know how they feel about Smith as a championship winning coach, I don't see it.  That's what they have to decide going forward.

Vrabel has been dealt a pretty tough start to his HC career.  His first game lasted seven hours and his QB went down.  He had to face the top team in the division the next week, followed by a tough division battle on the road.  After Miami/Mariota going down, 0-3 would have been explainable.  He came up with a plan and pulled off two wins in a row.  We all acknowledged his ability as a HC after that three game stretch.  The team continues to have a winners mentality, especially when facing bad odds.  

If last season started rough, this season hit an iceberg.  The Titans looked sunk.  Vrabel's starting QB went down for the fourth/fifth time in less than two seasons, elite kicker sidelined and he has rallied the team to be in first place among the teams who won't make the playoffs if they started today.  The Titans are mentally tough.  Damn how dire the situation is, they come out to play and play hard.  Last year, the Titans were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL.  That's a trait of elite teams.

All around Vrabel has demonstrated the qualities you want in a successful NFL HC.  It will be up to JRob to address the in game decisions, those two or three plays that are a bee up a lot of people's butts.  They can get an assistant who's responsible to give him in a nano second the "what the book says do" when it's 4th and inches, score up by...

LaFluer just inherited the best QB in the league. You really can’t make that call. 

@Number9 is right, and I rarely agree with him. 

He’s been handed a pretty bad situation, and I think he’s trying too hard in certain situations to cover for holes in the team. 

I hate the call for Kern, but think about what @nine posted a couple weeks ago about our propensity to give up long drives in the 4th as well as not trusting his kicker. 

It seems the spots he was hitting last year he’s not hitting this year. I give credit for being aggressive. Where I’m still on the ledge is the fact we simply won’t open up. The worst thing we can do this year is put Tannehill in a spot to play like last Sunday, lose a couple ugly games, go 8-8 and then we reset with a mid round 1st pick and Tannehill without knowing where we are as an offense. 

Unleash the offense already. We aren’t going to beat Carolina playing like this unless the defense plays like the 2000 Ravens/Titans, which is possible. But damnit I’m tired of that shit. Let the offense go and see what we have. Tannehill gets to play a top notch defense with most of his guys healthy. Open up the playbook and stop being so predictable. 

4 minutes ago, titanruss said:

you hire the Offensive minded coach because offensive continuity is what matters most in this league now. 

Is that right? I think the line of SBs would say differently. Defensive teams have won a lot k

more SBs the past 20 years, including our loss to the Rams. 

The hope is Pees passes off the ability to Vrabel on defense while he’s getting involved in the offense in a manner that sets the tone. I think he’s testing his bounds right now. Terrible calls, ones that I would fire someone for. But I think that’s his style. It could work. Our defense is top 3 right now, and our offense has a ton of  room to grow. 

43 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Is that right? I think the line of SBs would say differently. Defensive teams have won a lot k

more SBs the past 20 years, including our loss to the Rams. 

The hope is Pees passes off the ability to Vrabel on defense while he’s getting involved in the offense in a manner that sets the tone. I think he’s testing his bounds right now. Terrible calls, ones that I would fire someone for. But I think that’s his style. It could work. Our defense is top 3 right now, and our offense has a ton of  room to grow. 

i think times are different now in the last decade. and i'm not sure you can really count the pats as the stability there is unparalleled. In fact, it doesnt really matter if you have an established franchise QB who is top 5. Have whatever HC you want. But teams with younger/grooming/new QBs... it's different. 

With OCs being stolen away after a single successful year... continuity of offense is almost impossible without your HC being an offensive guru/playcaller. 

I love the GM and DC. We'd have a similar record or better with those guys and just about any HC/OC. The current OC and HC don't really have much of anything to with the D and almost everything bad to do with the O. 

Edited by titanruss

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

I agree.  You have to look at the entire package.  MLF looks like a genius right now coaching Aaron Rodgers.  I am really sold on Vrabel.  I know after the recent wins he's gotten some flack about a couple of his in game decisions  I think Vrabel is a football coach, a leader football players relate to and respond by playing their best.  Landry is coming on and Simmons has emerged as a beast.  Evans is playing at a high level.  Vrabel is still close enough to playing to understand what they face and feel everyday.

JRob is responsible to see that the team has elite coaches.  I don't see any reason to believe Vrabel is holding Arthur Smith's offense back.  JRob and Vrabel will have to decide how they want to approach building the offense going forward.  I don't know how they feel about Smith as a championship winning coach, I don't see it.  That's what they have to decide going forward.

Vrabel has been dealt a pretty tough start to his HC career.  His first game lasted seven hours and his QB went down.  He had to face the top team in the division the next week, followed by a tough division battle on the road.  After Miami/Mariota going down, 0-3 would have been explainable.  He came up with a plan and pulled off two wins in a row.  We all acknowledged his ability as a HC after that three game stretch.  The team continues to have a winners mentality, especially when facing bad odds.  

If last season started rough, this season hit an iceberg.  The Titans looked sunk.  Vrabel's starting QB went down for the fourth/fifth time in less than two seasons, elite kicker sidelined and he has rallied the team to be in first place among the teams who won't make the playoffs if they started today.  The Titans are mentally tough.  Damn how dire the situation is, they come out to play and play hard.  Last year, the Titans were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL.  That's a trait of elite teams.

All around Vrabel has demonstrated the qualities you want in a successful NFL HC.  It will be up to JRob to address the in game decisions, those two or three plays that are a bee up a lot of people's butts.  They can get an assistant who's responsible to give him in a nano second the "what the book says do" when it's 4th and inches, score up by...

Vrabel replaced a coach that went to the playoffs and won a game.  But that wasn't good enough to meet the front office standards. 

Last year the team didn't improve on that standard.  This year he promised good to great and it looks like that standard won't be met either.

At some point soon, he's going to have to win more games and make the playoffs.  Unless there is a year end run this year, I expect the heat to be on him next year and rightfully so.  Mediocre isn't good enough and shouldn't be accepted.

13 minutes ago, ctm said:

Vrabel replaced a coach that went to the playoffs and won a game.  But that wasn't good enough to meet the front office standards. 

Last year the team didn't improve on that standard.  This year he promised good to great and it looks like that standard won't be met either.

At some point soon, he's going to have to win more games and make the playoffs.  Unless there is a year end run this year, I expect the heat to be on him next year and rightfully so.  Mediocre isn't good enough and shouldn't be accepted.

Mularkey wasn’t fired fired for his results. Mike Vrabel will also not be fired for his results unless they’re losing record results.

3 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Mularkey wasn’t fired fired for his results. Mike Vrabel will also not be fired for his results unless they’re losing record results.

So if Vrabel continues to miss the playoffs, you think that is good enough and will be acceptable?

40 minutes ago, ctm said:

I'd add that VRabel has had an improved roster the last two seasons. 

26 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Huh? What else would he get fired for?