Is Vrabel trying to get himself fired?

NashvilleNinja

11 minutes ago, japan said:

You used to let Mularkey’s questionable decisions go unchallenged though. The ridiculous 2 point conversion on the regular season chiefs game even though it worked out. 

BTW, I guess these trick play by Vrabel are driving you mad!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's why Vrabel is a goddamn moron:   There were 6 minutes left in the game, and Vrabel tried to run down the clock and play field positioning/trust his D. Two runs up the middle to Henry,

At some point it's not a stupid call, it's a stupid coach 

Do you think running on 1st and 2nd down on this drive was "putting the game away"? 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is bull shit. I made a long thread about how he lost the SF game with his piss poor game management 

And if you think the 2 pointer against KC was bad you don't understand basic strategy, that was a great call

BS. You and oldschool argued for awhile over that Kansas City 2 point failure. He was ‘trying to win it’ even though there was still 2 minutes left. We backed into the win but you called that decision ‘brilliant.’

Edited by japan

2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

BTW, I guess these trick play by Vrabel are driving you mad!

Didn’t like the one today. He hasn’t really called any other than special teams so far. I’ll jump out a window if I see a Statue of Liberty play. 

There's been all this media chatter about how Vrabel is involved in every part of the team -- showing his face at all the meetings (e.g. position groups, etc.) and being hands on with practice, etc. We bring in a young, presumably talented OC (Lafleur), and he certainly doesn't wow us fans. We see Mariota as a limitation (which he is/was), because he's the common factor (and LaFleur seems to be a much better playcaller at GB, albeit with Rodgers). I'm beginning to believe what was spun as a positive (touching all aspects of team) is actually symptomatic micro-management. A guy like Pees is respected enough (and has nothing to prove), but guys like Smith and LaFleur are going to be under the thumb of Vrabel on game day. Vrabel coaches like the defense is the centerpiece and the offense is an afterthought - that the game is ready to won, once we have more points than the opponent and all we need to do is avoid mistakes. He manages risk (and micro-manages the game) until he sees a way to deliver a knock-out punch (even if it's high risk) and this makes sense to him, because this is how he sees the offense winning games. Not by executing a good strategy, but by letting the defense keep the game close, and looking for a moment to catch the opposition off guard near the end of the game. I just don't think he gets modern offensive football, IMHO

3 minutes ago, japan said:

BS. You and oldschool argued for awhile over that Kansas City 2 point failure. He was ‘trying to win it’ even though there was still 2 minutes left. We backed into the win but you called that decision ‘brilliant.’

It was, I explained the thought process and the MMQB went over it the next day and said what I said word for word, most people flipped their opinion on it. That was spot on

BTW, this is funny considering you were piggy backing Scine's ridiculous Vrabel defenses today/. 

Even Jim Wyatt is getting in on the action in his gentle Wyatt way: "It came after a gut-check drive from their offense and after a, um, gutsy fake field goal call by head coach Mike Vrabel in the closing minutes."

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-win-another-wild-one-this-time-27-23-over-the-buccaneers?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

A lot more like that on twitter...

38 minutes ago, scine09 said:

You and @japan are the only two I've seen that don't think the offensive strategy/play calling wasn't a huge problem. 

Which is funny considering your well know disdain for running

From Herndon:

Arthur Smith: Loser

Everyone in the free world knew coming into this game that the Titans were going to struggle to run the ball against a stout Tampa front and yet Arthur Smith came out with a typical run heavy approach, asking Derrick Henry to slam himself into Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh time after time. This line of playcalling was even more baffling once Saffold left the game. Say what you want about the free agent acquisition, but he’s the Titans best interior offensive lineman.

It took the Titans falling behind in the second half for Smith to finally open things up and once he did the offense suddenly got moving, eventually cashing in with a 90-yard touchdown drive that featured eleven passes and just one run.

Smith also failed to do anything to get Corey Davis and A.J. Brown involved. The team’s two most talented pass catchers finished with just 4 catches and 20 yards combined. That’s unacceptable at this point.

This isn’t rocket science... attack your opponent’s weaknesses and get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. Smith is making this way harder than it needs to be.

Mike Vrabel: Loser

Another game, another highly questionable fourth down decision from Vrabel. This one may have been the worst yet. Up 27-23 facing 4th and 2 at the Bucs 28 with 3:45 remaining in the game, Vrabel chose to run a fake field goal with Brett Kern taking off with the ball. Kern got crushed short of the line to gain and the Titans were fortunate that officials mistakenly ruled him down by contact when the ball was clearly out. The Bucs recovered and returned it for what would have been the go ahead touchdown if the refs hadn’t blown the whistle too soon.

It’s a baffling decision on multiple levels.

First, your kicker was perfect on the day to that point and you’ve got a chance to put meaningful points on the board with what would have been a 45-yard attempt. 30-23 is very different than 27-23.

Second, if you are going to go for it, asking your punter to run for it isn’t the way to go. Not only are you asking a non-ball carrier to carry the ball in a huge spot, but you’re putting one of your best players in harm’s way to do it.

Vrabel’s continued fourth quarter gaffes are among the more infuriating things about this team right now. An NFL team with a bad offense does not need help losing.

Yet again terrible offensive strategic planning by vrabel. Vrabel gives smith the gameplan. Smith just decides what to scheme for that. Vrabel attempts to throw the game away at the end. 

obviously vrabel only wants to pass when we are actually worried about putting up points. And run no matter what unless we are behind. It’s terrible game-planning. 

he micromanages too much. He needs to let his OC/DC do their things. I’ve got a feeling they are almost too scared to tell him when they are wrong. 

This should have been a blowout. 

Edited by titanruss