Dolphins Tannehill vs. Titans Tannehill

TerryBoats

QBs can and have improved with a change of scenery.  It's a real thing, not some delusional fanboy theory.

Those who have yet to block me know that I've been an advocate for this move for quite some time.  And it was not simply due to my impatience with Mariota.  I  have watched a ton of his snaps in Miami.  There is a clear difference in the offense that he's in now and what he's being asked to do.  And honestly, he's shown things that I thought he couldn't/wouldn't do.

Tannehill's previous two coaches were pretty far up their own arses regarding their schemes (which were successfully executed by two of the greatest to ever play the position).  He is no Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning, which probably led them to running a hide-the-QB system with a lot of WR screens , one read throws, etc.  It was clunky and not very enjoyable to watch.  A game like Sunday where he picked apart a defense with relatively good coverage was basically nonexistent.  

Sunday was not a one-read, low level QB performance.  As he has the entire pre/regular season, Tannehill was reading the field and spreading the ball around with very few turnover worthy throws and ideal precision.  It was an example of a game in which the QB made the play caller look good.  A good number of those throws were into busy coverage (I counted 7 throws into very tight windows).  It's possible that Tannehill is exactly what people proclaimed Mariota to be-a rhythm passer who excels when the game is put in his hands.

I also feel like this supporting cast aligns with Tannehill's strengths.  With a deep threat like Mike Wallace, he won't produce eye-popping numbers.  But guys like Jarvis Landry or Bobby Hartline, who can get open early and often, will thrive with him.  He's got a very good sense of timing and ball placement in that area of the field.  He delivers the ball to the intended target before the defense can react.

Before we begin daydreaming about the next QB,I think that we should consider the possibilities with the current one.  Carson Wentz undoubtedly has a higher ceiling than Nick Foles.  But that offense seemed more effective with a veteran QB who could consistently deliver the ball as opposed to a Sportscenter mainstay.  Tannehill may have "failed" in Miami, but he's being asked to be more in Tennessee and he's passing with flying colors.   There is a lot of potential with him in the lineup, and I'm not ashamed to say that.

Edited by abc2330

I've always had a bias against Tannehill as a pro because I somehow still see him as a good A&M WR playing out of position. Can't get it out of my head.

What I saw yesterday blew me away. I haven't seen a QB for this franchise make throws like that since '93. If he can sustain this, pay the man.

2 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Bit early after 1 game against a bottom 5 pass defense. 

would be nice to have found something though. 

Its not because of the defense he played against. Look at how strong his arm was, how accurate he was conpared to Mariota's. The DBs played not bad coverage from what I saw, he just trusted his WRs to make a play so he actually threw it. 

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Its not because of the defense he played against. Look at how strong his arm was, how accurate he was conpared to Mariota's. The DBs played not bad coverage from what I saw, he just trusted his WRs to make a play so he actually threw it. 

I think he played well and threw the ball with velocity. He provided a spark that mariota couldnt. we broke MM and he's obviously completely shell-shocked... i didnt believe the thoughts that he would retire after this year, but we David Carr'ed him and I could see it happening. 

But you have to recognize that that was a bottom tier pass D we played (along with a below average run D). .. just as it will be this upcoming week (except possibly the run D). So while its good to be excited, and there were good signs, our offense was not really tested. 

We haven't seen the bad RT yet.  I suspect that is coming, in which the MM homers can rejoice and come out of hiding.  

I think RT played great, at least in terms of the typical Titan QB play of which we've come to expect.  

I have no idea how all this plays out, but it's nice to have a QB with pocket awareness and the ability to make, or better attempt, tight window throws.  And yeah, let's just throw out there the ability to read a defense. 

Even if RT shits the bed, we have seen what good QB play is like.  Marcus has his moments, but the core of modern QB expectations?  He didn't, and that's what this boils down to.

Whatever RT does for the rest of the season, I think we still need to draft a QB.  We don't have to reach, as it seems RT is a good stop gap.  He may even carry the team a few years, hopefully.  Having a good QB on the team even if RT is having success isn't a bad thing for trade value. 

I fully expect for RT to shit the bed as I am a Titan's fan....and that's just what's expected.  But damn, I'm excited to see competent QB play. 

9 hours ago, nine said:

Quarterbacks who consistently make good decisions and strong, accurate throws do very well in the NFL.  Tannehill did that yesterday.  

In 2018, Tannehill started  eleven games and had a 100+ passer rating five times.  That’s pretty good.    He also had a 6.2% TD rate, which is borderline elite.

But he also had four games with a <60 passer rating....which is pretty terrible.  He also had a 3.3% INT rate, which was among the worst in the league.   Call me crazy....but somehow I doubt those bad games and INTs were showcases of strong decision-making and consistent accuracy.  

(For comparison, Mariota had four 100+ passer rating games last year and two games below 60...in large part because he took sacks instead of risks.)

Tannehill obviously has all the tools, a strong arm, and he’s shown himself capable of high level play.  But over an eight year career, he’s never shown the ability to sustain it for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.    Sound familiar?

He’s off to a very promising and successful start...and his supporting cast has shown the ability to make plays of their own.  Here’s to hoping he manages to sustain it better than he did in Miami.  

There is usually a correlation between his bad games and his team's bad games.  In all but one of those games, the defense allowed 27 points or more.  When the defense keeps things competitive, he plays very well. When they struggle, he struggles.  Which makes it frustrating that we waited so long to make a switch considering the defense is all but guaranteed have a few off games at some point and we could definitely have a few more wins by this point.

Edited by abc2330

13 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

There is usually a correlation between his bad games and his team's bad games.  In all but one of those games, the defense allowed 27 points or more.  When the defense keeps things competitive, he plays very well. When they struggle, he struggles.  Which makes it frustrating that we waited so long to make a switch considering the defense is all but guaranteed have a few off games at some point and we could definitely have a few more wins by this point.

This is what I was wondering about.  How would RT play when he has a good defense behind him and with a high level running game?  In short, when he doesn't have to force the ball into coverage because the other pieces of the team are in place.  We don't know but you would think that his INT rate would go down.

3 minutes ago, ctm said:

This is what I was wondering about.  How would RT play when he has a good defense behind him and with a high level running game?  In short, when he doesn't have to force the ball into coverage because the other pieces of the team are in place.  We don't know but you would think that his INT rate would go down.

Technically, the Broncos game was when you would typically see "bad" Tannehill.  When the team needs a miracle.  He took too many sacks, but that's the only negative and I think that he deserves some benefit of the doubt given the unfamiliarity with the offense and rust factor.