I heard if he didn't stay in Nashville the Bears were likely to bring him in. They had him very high and were likely to draft him if Tennessee didn't. I heard people say the Bears feel they know how to utilize his talent better than the terrible coaches in Nashville have.

Just now, GZATheGenius said:

I heard if he didn't stay in Nashville the Bears were likely to bring him in. They had him very high and were likely to draft him if Tennessee didn't. I heard people say the Bears feel they know how to utilize his talent better than the terrible coaches in Nashville have.

What poster did you used to be?  

Teams have analysts/scouts watch the film -- they know his limitations. Maybe if Chip Kelly was still coaching in the NFL, but I just don't see how a team thinks there would be a bidding war for Mariota's services if he's released. The teams that would trade for him would be the teams that would look to the draft for a QB -- trading away (even a later) pick could affect their ability to navigate up and/or down the draft board. I think he could sign as a backup (after the season), with the potential to start (a la Tannehill), but trading for a backup would be a desperation move (hmm...), IMHO.

Edited by stats
typo

1 minute ago, GZATheGenius said:

God, I hope they believe that and stupidly send us a 2nd. Honestly I'd like to see Marcus have success elsewhere. I always root for ex-Titans. 

On top of all the other reasons another reason not to trade for Mariota is that if you want to resign him you’re using his current salary as a baseline compared to what will be significantly less on the open market. 

Eat most of his salary for this season and get a 4th in return. 

Any value is better than no value, of course it depends on what we get via comp pick. 

Either way, if we're forced to go back to him, we're screwed anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Eat most of his salary for this season and get a 4th in return. 

Any value is better than no value, of course it depends on what we get via comp pick. 

Either way, if we're forced to go back to him, we're screwed anyway. 

That’s the best bet at this point. We can just hope Mariota gets a decent backup QB contract and maybe we get a good comp pick out of it.

4 minutes ago, rns90 said:

What team would want or need him at this point?  People mention the Bears but Daniels is a better qb than Mariota at this time.

Shut up. The Bears don’t know that. 

No one wants him, he sucks too bad

But Id guess it would have to be an Oswellier situation.

How much draft capital would be have to give a team plus how much of his salary would we have to pay to get someone to take him????

Assuming someone wants him, I'd trade him for anything better than a 5th round pick. Meaning I'd take a 4th.  Anything less than that and like @scine09 said we're better off keeping him and getting a comp pick. 

I'd also eat his entire salary if necessary to make the deal. Without a deal we are eating it anyway. 

Edited by abenjami

6 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Assuming someone wants him, I'd trade him for anything better than a 5th round pick. Meaning I'd take a 4th.  Anything less than that and like @scine09 said we're better off keeping him and getting a comp pick. 

I'd also eat his entire salary if necessary to make the deal. Without a deal we are eating it anyway. 

Any idea how the comp structure works?  How would they get a 3rd, for example?

23 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Any idea how the comp structure works?  How would they get a 3rd, for example?

He would have to get a large contract. So no way we get a 3rd