Sign in to follow this  
PuckDaddy

about Arthur Smith - now what ?

3 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

Uh, what?  We won the game.  Our backup QB came in and put up 300+ yards in his first start for our team.  Davis had one of his best games of the season and Henry looked better than he has in weeks.  I’m not saying Smith is a genius, but this isn’t the game to knock him.  

yeah but you didn't allude to any of that in the previous comment. you mentioned refs and defenses.

btw, this thread isn't about knocking Smith. it's a question of where is he at at week 7.

and as another poster keeps reminding me, the Titans (and not necessarily Smith) has beaten two 2-4 teams and a 1-6 team.
which, as accurate as that is, it still does nothing to answer the questions of whether Arthur Smith has done a good job thus far, did good today, or their is confidence moving forward.

I just want to know whether or not I can put this pitchfork up

1 minute ago, PuckDaddy said:

yeah but you didn't allude to any of that in the previous comment. you mentioned refs and defenses.

btw, this thread isn't about knocking Smith. it's a question of where is he at at week 7.

and as another poster keeps reminding me, the Titans (and not necessarily Smith) has beaten two 2-4 teams and a 1-6 team.
which, as accurate as that is, it still does nothing to answer the questions of whether Arthur Smith has done a good job thus far, did good today, or their is confidence moving forward.

I just want to know whether or not I can put this pitchfork up

We started a QB for 6 games that was beyond abysmal for more than half of them.  The one game he hasn’t started, our offense looked noticeably better with a guy making his first start for the team.  It’s a small sample size.  The jury is out, and should be for another 2-3 games.  We want to bitch/argue about things now, I get it, but it’s honestly too early to tell given the unique situation of our QB position this season. 

24 minutes ago, Former_Fan said:

Yep, and had we lost today there would be a lot more talk about this..

It was the right call every time. Anyone saying not to go for it is either using confirmation bias because of the 2 bad calls against Buffalo and the Falcons or they don’t know football. You simply do not punt the ball in that situation. You’re conceding a tie at best. 

4 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

We started a QB for 6 games that was beyond abysmal for more than half of them.  The one game he hasn’t started, our offense looked noticeably better with a guy making his first start for the team.  It’s a small sample size.  The jury is out, and should be for another 2-3 games.  We want to bitch/argue about things now, I get it, but it’s honestly too early to tell given the unique situation of our QB position this season. 

fair enough, but here's where I'm steering the original question:
regardless of the QB under center, has the playcalling / game plan been up to par
meaning, regardless of whether or not the offense actually executed the plan effectively, was the plan effective to begin with ?

1 minute ago, Mercalius said:

again, this has more to do with QB than the OC.

as a matter of fact, this has almost nothing to do with the OC

1 minute ago, PuckDaddy said:

It’s a statistic.  Or rather, two statistics.  They don’t have ulterior motives.  What is yours?  

5 minutes ago, PuckDaddy said:

It's always more about the QB than the OC.

That's the whole point. 

It’s a statistic.  Or rather, two statistics.  They don’t have ulterior motives.  What is yours?  

I'm asking about the OC, not the QB's

Just now, PuckDaddy said:

I'm asking about the OC, not the QB's

They’re inherently linked though the dependency/beneficiary can be debated.  You can’t isolate an OC’s performance or attempt to evaluate him without taking into consideration the QB’s play.  It’s one game.  You need to pump the brakes on whatever answer you’re looking for.  Tannehill needs another month’s worth of starts before we can properly evaluate him and Smith needs another months worth of QB play that isn’t Mariota’s to get a handle on where he is as well.  It’s a long season, we’ll get there. 

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

It's always more about the QB than the OC.

That's the whole point. 

perhaps, but that's not the point of this

- McNair was probably a better QB with Dinger than he was Steckel.

the OC is still relevant

You can’t isolate an OC’s performance or attempt to evaluate him without taking into consideration the QB’s play. 

of course you can.

you can evaluate a gameplan on being effective whether the offense executes it or not.

like running a draw on 3rd and 21 ... shit like that.

here's another way of looking at it, what does the QB have to do with a handoff to the RB ?

today there were 29 pass attempts and 29 rushes ............ the QB was responsible for half of the offensive results

now what?