Don't celebrate yet: Titans still likely to go 7-9 and miss the playoffs

Titans279

538 only gives us a 9% chance of making the playoffs and has us finishing 7-9: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nfl-predictions/

NYTimes just put up their playoff simulator which gives us a 13% chance of making the playoffs. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/tennessee-titans-nfl-playoff-picture.html

On average NFL teams that are 3-4 end up 7-9.

The schedule gets tougher up ahead.

Assuming this, or worse, there will be a lot of questions for JRob and Vrabel come January

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh fuck off, Debbie Downer. At least wait until tomorrow to post this shit.

I'm just happy to see better QB play at this point. The season was sacrificed for the sake of a QB's feelings apparently, so it's probably too late, but I'm interested again.

You gotta admit though, it was pretty awesome watching Simmons out there creating havoc. The guy is an absolute monster. Wait till next year when they actually get the chance to teach him how to 1 gap

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, GZATheGenius said:

Glad We got the victory, but I've never felt so indifferent after a win lol. I hope we win the rest of our games, but I'm not putting to much stock in this win until the Titans can prove they're consistent. Yea we beat the Chargers but they been as Hapless as us & remember the Steelers 3rd string rookie QB also beat them. Tannehill threw about 2-3 balls that should have and could have been picked off. I don't put to much stock in this win we barely pulled off, and I don't believe in Tannehill no more than Mariota. But by all means Tannehill, prove me wrong and beat some good teams. You had the luxury and timing of starting against a bad team.

Dude we never beat the Chargers. Maybe twice ever

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Dude we never beat the Chargers. Maybe twice ever

From September of 1993 to September 2012 the Oilers/Titans lost 9 straight games. We finally won in 2013 against them and have lost two more before today's win.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/tennessee-titans/teamvsteam?opp=26

Edited by NashvilleNinja

The worst part is wondering where we could be if Tannehill had started the season instead of 6 games in. 7-9 and no playoffs is realistic unless one of the other AFC South teams fall apart somehow. Maybe we make a run with RT starting the season? And now will may finish middle of the road without a top pick in the draft. 

1 minute ago, Former_Fan said:

The worst part is wondering where we could be if Tannehill had started the season instead of 6 games in. 7-9 and no playoffs is realistic unless one of the other AFC South teams fall apart somehow. Maybe we make a run with RT starting the season? And now will may finish middle of the road without a top pick in the draft. 

Either way may be fine.  A 7-9 record puts us drafting in the top half of the draft with still what’s likely a very good team with a potentially elite defense and a QB in Tannehill that proved serviceable.  It means you could draft BPA and go for it next year or move up for a QB if there’s a guy you love but give him the luxury of sitting if need be or even if not a very competent team around him without any glaring holes.  

3 minutes ago, GZATheGenius said:

Dude I hope we have a great 2nd half of the season. But come on lol. We played a bad team with a bad defense and still barely won. The Steelers 3rd string rookie QB beat this Chargers team more convincingly. Am I right??

Two more bad teams incoming! And a Mahomes-less Chiefs team!

2 minutes ago, GZATheGenius said:

Dude I hope we have a great 2nd half of the season. But come on lol. We played a bad team with a bad defense and still barely won. The Steelers 3rd string rookie QB beat this Chargers team more convincingly. Am I right??

Yes, and the conversation around here would be much different than it is now had we lost. But in all honestly, we could have been 5-11 if Mariota played all season. The offense was notably better today. At least it wasn't miserable to watch.