Sign in to follow this  
GLinks

Do the Titans Franchise Tannehill?

Just throwing this out there since I expect it to crop up at some point if Tannehill can play decent football the rest of the way, and we’ll want someone to cover for the rookie QB I expect us to draft...who will likely be Jake Fromm, and right now it looks like we’ll be drafting in range to take him. Hope Herbert doesn’t fall to us after the draft process.

I don’t expect Marcus to return obviously unless it’s due to injury, I’m sure everyone agrees.

So, do you franchise Tannehill if he’s earned it versus something like a 2-year deal?

Edited by GLinks

well, what if it works out.?
what if we win the rest (or majority) of the rest of this season.
what if we make the playoffs and win at least 1 postseason game.

would you then look at a Multi-year ?

i mean, if it's working, why draft a QB (a high rounder in assumption) to sit out 2 years+ of his rookie deal.

the only reason(s) to even draft a QB next draft is because the Tannehill experiment flops, or it's a generational talent like Manning / Luck (which there doesn't appear to be that caliber gunslinger within our reach, or is there ? )

There's no way to have any sort of clue for about 4-5 more weeks. Once there's plenty of time for defenses to get tape on him in this offense and If he looks decent against good defenses... then you look for a 3 year or so deal out of him. You only franchise him if you cant sign him. 

No, he played well, and if he can dp it for the rest of the year Id give 

Him a average short-term contract. But he dosnt get franchised no.

Outside of him shitting the bed you'd probably have to franchise him if he's really good the rest of the way.

I'd need to see it again before signing him for any other deal.

You're not going to know who's going to be available at your pick unless you're in that top 3 to 5 spot and if we're drafting there then he's probably shit the bed and not worth keeping anyway.

Do to the fact that we have enough quality offensive players that a rookie won't be working with the bottom of the barrel talent and if said rookie is picked in the top five they should be competent enough to start from the jump with the before mentioned talent.

RT played well.  It's nice to see competent QB play.  We have not seen bad RT yet.  We might not.  Who the fuck knows?  Lots of season left for evaluation.  

RT would have to play great the majority of games left for us to not consider taking a QB early.  Even then I don't know they don't draft a back up and groom.  

Franchising is a big step and RT would have to prove a lot.  He wants to be a starter and unless he plays exceptionally, he might not get many offers to do so outside the Titans.  If he plays exceptionally, then you consider a franchise tag, but only then.  

It seems to me we're in a fairly decent spot.  RT can play well enough to be a bridge starter at the least with current example.  Not a bad place to be.  

Lots of games left.  Can go any direction.  If RT can produce like he did today in a majority of games, you have to consider giving him an extended chance, with drafting (without reaching) his back up if for nothing other than trade value.