A lot to Unpack - and I'm your Bekin's Man

code

1. Tannehill. 100% the difference in the offense. I forgot about the benefits of a QB with a fastball. Been a lot of years. Maybe all the way back to Moon. Since we have had a guy who can gun it into tight spots. Today he was deadly accurate. His decision making was fast. His two mistakes were more about the offensive line than about poor decision making. You can't say whether we would have won additional games with RT. You can say that his play, the first 300 yard passing game in what feels like a decade, was noticably better -- and arguably, if he continues in this way, makes him a possibility as more than just a bridge QB. That said, it has been one game. But that was fun.

2. Davis. Brown. Humphries. Sharp. Smith.  The lights started shining as the ball was coming out faster and arriving in the right location on time. That is a very effective group as today's performance proved.

3. Derrick Henry has to be resigned. Just a very good power back with enough speed to make him dangerous for three more years.

4. Simmons and Hooker and Long Jr all made notable contributions. Simmons in particular showed that he can push the pile backwards.

5. Have to love the defensive line group as it is now constructed.

6. Woodyard is a stud of a leader and absolutely still useful in running circumstances. But we really missed Jayon in coverage. Ekeler nearly destroyed us and if Jayon is around I think that is a whole different ballgame.

7. All of this is great. But once again, the final 6 minutes of the game showed Vrabels on-going growth challenges. First the decision, I guess it was Pees, but Vrabel had to sign off, to get out of the attacking defense mindset and go prevent with 6 minutes left was mind boggling. The Titans third quarter defense was as good as it had been in any quarter of any game this year.  Four soft plays later, SD scores.  The decision to go for it at 4th and 1/2 I thought was the right one. The decision to run a QB sneak was the right one. It was, however, clearly a bad mark. Mike had the flag out of his pocket. Unless the officials told him he couldn't challenge the spot, I can't understand why he didn't.  Then after Ekeler's catch to the 1/2, he chose to take a time out to avoid the run off. I get that. But after the first goal line stop, he chose not to do the same allowing for runoff. Seems that if you were conserving clock to get your offense back on the field with the first one, you do it again on the second one. As it played out, he would have been better allowing the first runoff. But that's hindsight. What wasn't hindsight is the inconsistency in the decision making.  Bottom line, if we had lost the game, the dogs would have been on his ass and rightly so.

8. The offensive line is still largely a shit show. Bosa is a stud. But the Chargers had no one else. Somehow we couldn't block Bosa, and then we couldn't scheme to keep his ass under control. We almost let a one-man rush beat us. Particularly ugly when Kelly had to replace Conklin. There were also precious few running lanes for Henry. I really thought he got all he could and probably a bit more. While Douglas and Saffold were far better in pass protection, today it was Kelly that made it ugly.

9. Ryan Succop. Where are you?

I think that is about it.  The concerns about Vrabel in-game have to be mounting. Tannehill's performance absolutely evokes optimism. We need Brown back ASAP. And while it won't get fixed this season, the Titans still have plenty of work to do on the offensive line. That does it.

I think the decision to back off on defense was more about the injuries on defense than any kind of strategy.  Adoree is insanely valuable to the success of the defense, and his absence is when the Chargers began to do easy work on defense.  

Scotty, are you having a tough time with reading comprehension? I said I wasn't sure at that time. Last week I said I was. Today I said you can see the difference. Credit to you for calling it early. Credit to me for standing behind a good human. Thanks for your post.

Do you guys understand that in a prevent defense, the deep play to Eckeler wouldn’t have been an option. We were playing a straight defense. River was just picking apart Vacarro then Woodyard. 

5 minutes ago, japan said:

Do you guys understand that in a prevent defense, The deep play to Eckeler wouldn’t have been an option. We were playing a straight defense. River was just picking apart Vacarro then Woodyard. 

Keep posting this. Maybe it will eventually get through.

3 hours ago, code said:

Scotty, are you having a tough time with reading comprehension? I said I wasn't sure at that time. Last week I said I was. Today I said you can see the difference. Credit to you for calling it early. Credit to me for standing behind a good human. Thanks for your post.

So then you started a thread you didn't believe in just to spite @OILERMAN?

You should ban yourself.

More specifically, we reverted to 3 and 4 man rush. We were dropping a DL 5 yards into short zone coverage. I can't speak to whether we went to a 3-deep zone, though I suspect we did. I can say that when we stopped putting max pressure on Rivers, the doors flung open.

That said, Woodyard and Vacarro were very toasty.

Archived