Jonboy

If Tannehill Had Started Since Week 1...

3 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Mularkey did more hamstrung by Mariota than anyone else could have. 

I’ll give him credit for two good hidings, Russ Grimm and LeBeau. 

1 minute ago, Lars said:

I’ll give him credit for two good hidings, Russ Grimm and LeBeau. 

LeBeau was a major liability. 

He basically could beat bad QBs with pressure schemes, but would invariably lose to decent/good QBs. 

Mike Mularkey was an absolutely atrocious head coach and his game management literally might have cost the Titans 3 wins in 2017.  I know for a fact it cost them the 49ers win.  And maybe the Dolphins/Rams games as well.

Whatever Mike Vrabel becomes, firing Mike Mularkey was a no-brainer.  His game management was bad, his thoughts on how to win in this were completely outdated, and the move had to be made.

Mike Vrabel can run circles around Mularkey as a head coach.  And if he stumbles then they'll move on to the next guy.  It doesn't change just how bad he was as a head coach.

I can tell you they weren't winning that Jets game last year with Mularkey as coach, with Vrabel taking the intentional penalty to stop the clock.  Mularkey wouldn't have even thought of something like that.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

You were mocking people for saying she might be forcing him?

Oldschool convinced me to look at it differently. 

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Mike Mularkey was an absolutely atrocious head coach and his game management literally might have cost the Titans 3 wins in 2017.  I know for a fact it cost them the 49ers win.  And maybe the Dolphins/Rams games as well.

Whatever Mike Vrabel becomes, firing Mike Mularkey was a no-brainer.  His game management was bad, his thoughts on how to win in this were completely outdated, and the move had to be made.

Mike Vrabel can run circles around Mularkey as a head coach.  And if he stumbles then they'll move on to the next guy.  It doesn't change just how bad he was as a head coach.

I can tell you they weren't winning that Jets game last year with Mularkey as coach, with Vrabel taking the intentional penalty to stop the clock.  Mularkey wouldn't have even thought of something like that.

This last part is true. 

Their offensive philosophies are the same though, and their views about complimentary and run-first football. But I think Vrabel is more about adapting the schemes week to week whereas Mularkey/LeBeau were running their same scheme every week no matter what. 

Edited by tgo

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

This doesn't make any sense. Of course jrob was going to tell AAS what she wanted to hear with regards to Mariota. He was interviewing for a position at the pinnicle of his profession. In reality its further proof AAS is the one that mandated Mariota play. Its not just about firing Whiz. It's about all decisions made over the course of the last 4 years. The Ace in the hole is the fact Jrob clearly built the offense to be passing focused and you don't do that if you are 100% behind Mariota.

The more likely scenario is that both Mularkey and Vrabel were focused on one game at a time and knew running heavy sets with a limited passer was the best route to win a game. MUlarkey flat out wanted Mariota to run and by Slash 2.0. Vrabel is a meathead who believes running QBs are harder to defend, a common misperception defensive coaches have. Out of AAS, jrob, and vrabel, Jrob is the least culpable in my opinion.

Yep. Mularkey would boast about his time with slash at QB in Pittsburgh, which is a period actually that Steeler fans try to forget. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Exactly.......

This explains the reason they signed Humphries and made the base offense 3 WRs on the depth chart. On paper Robinson is putting together a team to highlight a passing QB. 

The coaches on the other hand are using heavy sets, running and hiding MM

It points directly to Robinson imo 

You mean him being the one who liked mary?

Just now, tgo said:

This last part is true. 

Their offensive philosophies are the same though, and their views about complimentary and run-first football. But I think Vrabel is more about adapting the schemes week to week whereas Mularkey/LeBeau were running their same scheme every week no matter what. 

I don't know yet if that's the case.  I think in time we'll know.  I'd like to think it's not.  And until it's proven otherwise I'll continue to hope that it's not.

7 minutes ago, tgo said:

LeBeau was a major liability. 

He basically could beat bad QBs with pressure schemes, but would invariably lose to decent/good QBs. 

He stopped the run, as he always did. That lead to some wins for us like it or not. He had pooor talent in the secondary to work with. Most DCs lose to good QBs. His time was up, but he was solid. 

Edited by Lars

37 minutes ago, tgo said:

having a run-game savvy offensive coach like Mularkey is preferable if he would actually pick the right DC to run the defense. 

Pair Mularkey with Pees and you get a better result. 

Mularkey's biggest failing was his coordinator decisions - Robiskie, and holding onto LeBeau for too long. 

Welcome aboard?

I said at the time the real difference in Mularkey to Vrabel would be the DC. Mularkey s problem wasn’t offense, it was defense. It was the real reason his job should have been in danger. Hilariously fans thought it was him killing the offense. 

Robinson isn’t perfect but he’s easily the best GM we’ve had in a long time. Ruston Webster was one of the worst GMs of all time. Jeff Fisher was an atrocious GM (Rienfeldt was name only) 

I Have no idea who was responsible for playing MM, I tend to believe AAS wouldn’t make such a meddlesome decision. She almost conceded MM didn’t make it in the off season. 

I also don’t think Vrabel even liked MM. He’s a passive, weak player. Forget skill set. 

Whoever it was was a moron though 

9 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Welcome aboard?

I said at the time the real difference in Mularkey to Vrabel would be the DC. Mularkey s problem wasn’t offense, it was defense. It was the real reason his job should have been in danger. Hilariously fans thought it was him killing the offense. 

The difference between LeBeau and Pees with similar personnel was what opened my eyes on this. Plus the fact that LeBeau is unemployed and was fired by Pittsburgh who totally revered him. And how good QBs shredded the defense, and those are the guys you have to beat in the postseason to get anywhere. 

He was probably a good bridge DC to get us out of no man's land though. 

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

The difference between LeBeau and Pees with similar to worse personnel was what opened my eyes on this. Plus the fact that LeBeau is unemployed and was fired by Pittsburgh who totally revered him. And how good QBs shredded the defense, and those are the guys you have to beat in the postseason to get anywhere. 

He was probably a good bridge DC to get us out of no man's land though. 

LeBeau had an atrocious secondary to work with. He didn’t have this secondary.