Rishard Matthews on Mariota/Tannehill

TerryBoats

Reading this thread reminds me to love my family.  Like sports.

Mariota wasn't good enough and his time in TN is over.  It doesn't matter how we got here and if you aren't on the train by now, you will be very soon whether you want to or not.  Time to start looking forward and stop looking back.  

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't care less about Mariota/Tannehill, whatever.  I want the Titans to win.  But what this is, to me at least, a bully mentality against this guy.  I think this goes deeper than just production

Add him to Demarco Murray and Eric Decker who thought has lack of fire was an issue.    I’m not sure any other NFL city would have fallen in love (that’s what it is for a lot of people) with Ma

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Reading this thread reminds me to love my family.  Like sports.

Mariota wasn't good enough and his time in TN is over.  It doesn't matter how we got here and if you aren't on the train by now, you will be very soon whether you want to or not.  Time to start looking forward and stop looking back.  

Fuck ya'lls train. I'll get there by horseback.

Yippe ki-yay, Mr Falcon.

fail horse racing GIF

@rns90I don’t know much about the college QB’s yet, just the basics. I know Fromm has been very, very accurate this year & super efficient. Physical traits wise would Andy Dalton be an accurate comparison? He’s similar in terms of body size but I don’t know anything about his arm talent and athleticism.

Jalen Hurts is going to be the lightning rod of the draft. Before the season I thought he was basically Trace McSorely. Now I think there’s an outside chance he goes #1 overall. I know, go ahead & laugh at me. His stock is soaring every week......he’s improved so much it’s ridiculous.

40 minutes ago, Face said:

@rns90I don’t know much about the college QB’s yet, just the basics. I know Fromm has been very, very accurate this year & super efficient. Physical traits wise would Andy Dalton be an accurate comparison? He’s similar in terms of body size but I don’t know anything about his arm talent and athleticism.

Jalen Hurts is going to be the lightning rod of the draft. Before the season I thought he was basically Trace McSorely. Now I think there’s an outside chance he goes #1 overall. I know, go ahead & laugh at me. His stock is soaring every week......he’s improved so much it’s ridiculous.

Arm talent... they say he has a weak arm but is accurate. 

I think his arm is fine. I would compare him to an Alex Smith without the ray sneaky athleticism

Today’s TENNESSEAN has a quote from AJ Brown who has a different perspective on Mariota’s leadership.  He showed up before game 5 in a Mariota jersey.  After the Bronco game he said the following, “I talked to him after the game and I told him I love you.  Ever since day one he helped me a lot...appreciate him helping me out and just leading the way.  Marcus is a great dude, and he led by example since he’s been here.  It’s a tough change but we’ve got to keep playing.”  I agree the change is necessary and that Mariota, based on his 6 game trial, needs to go, but criticizing his leadership is dumb, that was the least of his problems and actually was a strength.

2 minutes ago, h4t said:

Today’s TENNESSEAN has a quote from AJ Brown who has a different perspective on Mariota’s leadership.  He showed up before game 5 in a Mariota jersey.  After the Bronco game he said the following, “I talked to him after the game and I told him I love you.  Ever since day one he helped me a lot...appreciate him helping me out and just leading the way.  Marcus is a great dude, and he led by example since he’s been here.  It’s a tough change but we’ve got to keep playing.”  I agree the change is necessary and that Mariota, based on his 6 game trial, needs to go, but criticizing his leadership is dumb, that was the least of his problems and actually was a strength.

I still maintain, and always have, that the vocal leader stuff is overblown. It's about production, Mariota's teammates loved him when he had success. 

If he was a rah-rah guy they'd grow tired of him too.

You just have to be a good QB, and he hasn't been.

6 minutes ago, h4t said:

I don't think the leadership is questioned, just his assertiveness.  Being vocal with the coaches, other players is pretty essential when he's the center piece of the offense.

The difference in terms of leadership between the two is accountability. 

Marcus inspires guys to follow him through loyalty, support, example etc. 

Tannehill is also a good guy in that way, but he will call guys out when they fuck up. That's the difference, from what I've heard/read.

Edited by tgo

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

The difference in terms of leadership between the two is accountability. 

Marcus inspires guys to follow him through loyalty, support, example etc. 

Tannehill is also a good guy in that way, but he will call guys out when the fuck up. That's the difference, from what I've heard/read.

The offense desperately needs someone to keep them sharp and stay on their asses.  

Edited by abc2330

9 hours ago, abenjami said:

Scine is definitely not a homer but he was on the VY bus until the very end.  He was actually last man standing.

When one defends the QB play of guys like VY and Mariota while knocking other comparative players during the same periods, that comes across as a homer.  I'll concede that it may actually be more to do with lack of the ability to assess QB play.

For someone to continue to argue that those two were good and it was the coaches, scheme, etc. and dismissing all of the stats (traditional and the more analytical newer ones) as meaningless was and still is laughable.  VY was a horrible NFL QB.  Mariota was not good.  The one thing Scine had right was that Passer Rating wasn't the end all.  Of course, his argument was to defend Mariota's play when in fact it actually inflated MM's numbers because it didn't account for all of the sacks and non throw negative plays.  Things that show up on the All 22.

Fully aware that Scine wants a more wide open offense but it's one of those things that has to be in context to how the team is built, do they play outside, etc. to have a complementary football team.  One can argue the Titans were too slow to open up things for McNair teams but you're not going to spread the field and ask Vince Young or Mariota to drop back 40 times a game because of the passing inconsistencies and negative plays. 

Plenty of people could see that the production wasn't there and the abilities necessary to be a good QB were lacking once teams scouted his NFL game and game planned accordingly.  I also think more struggles and the injury added to his pocket woes and bad habit of not throwing it when plays were there.  Of course, the infamous pre-draft scouting reports really nailed all of the issues he did have.  Everyone just glossed over them for year 1 and some of year 2.  If people are honest, they will see that those flaws were always there and that Mularkey/Robiskie did the best job of scheming around them.  That of course is not going to be admitted so it's much easier to cling to those highlight plays or exaggerated versions of what happened as proof it was there. 

Most fan bases have a really hard time letting go when a guy busts.  Unless you are a Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell, there's always a group of fan boys blaming the team, coaches, surrounding talent as to why when it usually is mostly because the kid was over drafted on potential.  Some pan out and others flame out.

9 hours ago, abenjami said:

Scine is definitely not a homer but he was on the VY bus until the very end.  He was actually last man standing.

No way.  I knew it was over after Washington.  There were others who thought he should have been kept around in 2011.

18 hours ago, big2033 said:

See my reply above.

Mariota is not being bullied kids lol. He's not here. And I doubt he cares.

The fact some are taking it personally or even believe it's a personal attack means some of you lack perspective on what matters on the football field.

It's 100% a joke. And the fact some can't see that explains their warped perspective on a "franchise" QB.

Stop getting emotionally attached that you need to defend him on a playground like its grade school.

I assume you don't have kids.  I also assume you grew up outside of the emphasis on social education.  Beyond the affects on the person being talked about, it affects the nature of the community and the people doing the talking.  You form habits on the actions you repeat.  

18 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Never argue with big!

He will never give up or change his opinion. 

I once told him just because something is the most popular doesn’t mean it’s the best and he didn’t agree with me—even when I used McDonald’s hamburgers as an example. 

He's a "neverwrong"?  Ah.  Then yeah, the only point is to offer others that care to follow the conversation other viewpoints.  

8 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I assume you don't have kids.  I also assume you grew up outside of the emphasis on social education.  Beyond the affects on the person being talked about, it affects the nature of the community and the people doing the talking.  You form habits on the actions you repeat.  

He's a "neverwrong"?  Ah.  Then yeah, the only point is to offer others that care to follow the conversation other viewpoints.  

He's NOT A KID LOL he's not YOUR KID. He's an adult and you're an adult. Grow up.

If you let these things bother you then you need some social education. It's football. If this has an impact on your day-to-day life then I'm not the one that needs help or perspective.

Kids get affected by this stuff, and this is when you have to give them perspective.

And that's why you guys hold on to these drafted QBs too long. Take your emotions for a local sport and the local hero (always the QB) out of it and you'll be able to be unbiased when things aren't going to script.

PS: You're dad's gay ... what are you gonna do about it? Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!!!

Edited by big2033

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

The offense just needs someone to throw the ball. I honestly think Mariota's nerve injury is permanent. I think he knows he cant make standard throws in the NFL anymore and tjats why he held onto the ball for too long. He was scared of throwing INTs.

Since Mularkey implemented his scheme in 2016 the emphasis has been on building a ball control, power run offense that dominates time of possession by eating clock, but doesn't score quickly. 

The emphasis on certain types of O-Linemen, the blocking scheme, the RB choices and playcalling have all been indicators of that.  They went heavy-heavy for that reason.

The cardinal sins for a QB in that type of offense is an interception or a fumble that gives the ball back to the opposing offense and kills the TOP battle.

With Henry in the BF and Vrabel as HC this has continued to a great extent.  Regardless of what Matt LaFleur said or did or the scheme he drew up.

So now trying to move into the 21st century on offense you have a QB who is more concerned with not throwing INTs than he is making a play, and it ain't working.