Jeffrey Simmons impact on defense & predictions

kyle021

Our defense has been pretty damn good so far and I'm also optimistic Simmons will make them noticeably even better.

However, would anyone be surprised if they don't put him on the field with the #1's and instead use him as a rotational player to keep everyone fresh?

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Our defense has been pretty damn good so far and I'm also optimistic Simmons will make them noticeably even better.

However, would anyone be surprised if they don't put him on the field with the #1's and instead use him as a rotational player to keep everyone fresh?

He’ll only get a handful of snaps if he plays. 

If they are smart, he’ll be on a heavily regulated snap count that will go up as the season progresses. 

I bet he gets maybe 2 sacks this year. I don’t think he’ll have too much of an impact this season unless we play some real weak OLs. 

I'm guardedly optimistic.   I imagine he'll probably play well when he sees the field, but with very limited reps.  I don't expect significant impact until next year;   whatever contribution he makes this year is a bonus.

As good as this defense is, Simmons could make them noticeably better (if he was healthy and in game shape). 

His bull rush that will collapse the pocket and prevent the QB from stepping up in the pocket and into his throw will make this secondary look even better.

My other favorite thing about his game besides his bull rush is his awareness. He doesn’t seem to cheat very often. He plays run and keeps his eyes in the backfield. The moment he sees pass he can transition into a pass rush effortlessly.

I am so excited about Simmons, but I am afraid we will have to wait till next year. This year I will settle for flashes.

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

I'm sure they'll get him reps during the game like they would anyone else working back, but I don't expect him to have complicated assignments. Initially, maybe just 3rd downs. 

What is an example a complicated assignment?