Sign in to follow this  
NashvilleNinja

Harold Landry

2 minutes ago, Face said:

For some reason it seems like there’s a lot of complaints about the  pass rush on the board. I wouldn’t say complaints, just posts I see here & there about not getting enough pressure. We’ve gotten very good pressure. I almost wonder if how often Marcus got sacked gave an unrealistic. Impression.

I'm surprised the sack number is as high.  It has nothing to do with Mariota.  They've gotten some sacks from Pees' blitzes.  But the edge rushers outside of Wake and Landry have been weak.  And this means that the qb's can sit there and convert 3rd downs against the zone d that Pess' employs.

2 hours ago, Face said:

For some reason it seems like there’s a lot of complaints about the  pass rush on the board. I wouldn’t say complaints, just posts I see here & there about not getting enough pressure. We’ve gotten very good pressure. I almost wonder if how often Marcus got sacked gave an unrealistic. Impression.

The issue is the team doesn't play with the lead enough. If they can get a lead or teams into 3rd and long with Wake healthy this team's pass rush is fine imo

If the pass rush was as bad as some say they wouldn't be 4th in points(or whatever it is now)

3 hours ago, Face said:

My biggest complaint is the defensive line. Theirs no push, hopefully that changes when Simmons gets incorporated. LBs have been good with the situation given, but don't forget we rely a lot on the DB blitz.

The DL has had push this year.  Jones is having a great year.  Very few team can manhandle the OL with only 4 guys rushing.  Actually we could have the greatest defense and pass rush in the history of the NFL and people would still bitch.  Try putting this defense out there with an offense that isn't 3 and out most of the time.  With an offense that can get a lead.  Obviously a stud in the middle will help which is why Simmons was drafted.  But even without him the defense is top 10 and maybe top 5.

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

The DL has had push this year.  Jones is having a great year.  Very few team can manhandle the OL with only 4 guys rushing.  Actually we could have the greatest defense and pass rush in the history of the NFL and people would still bitch.  Try putting this defense out there with an offense that isn't 3 and out most of the time.  With an offense that can get a lead.  Obviously a stud in the middle will help which is why Simmons was drafted.  But even without him the defense is top 10 and maybe top 5.

Do you confident we can create pressure with 3-4 down lineman? Look at how many sacks were accumulated from inside linebackers and DBs. Pees does a great job of creating chaos, but would love the guys in the dirt to get to the QB consistently without sending additional blitzers. Hopefully, Simmons helps change that.

Gotta give credit to Pees he really is one of the best in the business.Things he’s done with this defense has been magical but I wonder how long he hangs in with his health etc if he realizes this offense is goin nowheres.I know he loves the game but at sum point ur health or watch ur defense hold it down while O goes 3 and out over n over.Hopefully with RT that changes,will see.

7 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The issue is the team doesn't play with the lead enough. If they can get a lead or teams into 3rd and long with Wake healthy this team's pass rush is fine imo

If the pass rush was as bad as some say they wouldn't be 4th in points(or whatever it is now)

Show me a a Belichick/Pees/Vrabel/Crennel defense that has ever been pressure-centric. 

The way this defense works does not really totally rely on outside pass rush for success. 

That said, our outside pass rush this year is the best its been in quite some time. 

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Yeah I totally agree with this.

Its a nonissue now with Wake being injured but it’s obvious the plan was for him to be strictly a pure pass down player. We’ve seen firsthand how destructive a guy like Wake can be, even with a snap count less then 20. He wrecked the Browns.

Hopefully he gets healthy soon & Tamnehill can move the team. The performance of the defense is even more impressive when you consider how pitiful the offense is. Getting Wake healthy, along with giving him a few leads, could really turn this defense loose.

I actually think Wake needs to play more snaps either way though, at least 50% or so. Teams throw a lot on all downs now & he’s way too good not to be more involved. If you look at his sacks, pressures, pressure rate, QB hits over the years, he’s as good as it gets after the freaks like Watt & Donald.

11 hours ago, rns90 said:

I'm surprised the sack number is as high.  It has nothing to do with Mariota.  They've gotten some sacks from Pees' blitzes.  But the edge rushers outside of Wake and Landry have been weak.  And this means that the qb's can sit there and convert 3rd downs against the zone d that Pess' employs.

They arnt even blitzing that much, he just brings a diffrent 4 guys so offten its hard for anyone to know who the fuck 2 block.

I hear this every year about how we should be able to get pressure with only four pass rushers.  Does anyone know how often teams get pressure (not sacks) using only 3 or 4 rushers?  On average only 28-34%.  On average teams need 5 or 6 pass rushers to get pressure closer to 50% of the time.  Obviously using zone blitzes and disguising who is coming can be effective at times since it creates mistakes by the OL.  The best case scenario, if you can do it, is to Zero Blitz.  As in you have a secondary that can man cover well enough to take away the QBs early options.  Now obviously the more pass rushers you have (and some of our best are inside LBs) the best chance you have of getting pressure and disrupting the play.  My goodness we destroyed Brady last year doing all kinds of blitzes.  I really can't understand what people are seeing when they watch teams play.  Very few DL are talented enough to get consistent pressure unless they bring someone as well as use some disguise of who is coming.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/case-zero-blitz